The New Raith Rovers Thread

Textbook that I won’t be able to go to the final. Missed the Rangers one sitting in A&E at the ERI, too. Hopefully that’s a good omen, albeit it shite for me, personally. 

Tonight was great but we need to use it as a springboard for the league. Tonight will mean nothing if we don’t pick up 3 points from Ayr. That being said… tonight was great. The system proved itself to be a hit and the subs undoubtedly swung the game in our favour. Arnott is really starting to give me good vibes, has looked handy every time I’ve seen him and has now grabbed his first goal. I’m sure Regan Hendry called him “the best player he had ever seen at his age” when he was still here last year. 

I actually think Matthews is looking to pick our Zanatta at the first goal, but Dario makes such a bad attempt at finding space that Matthews has no option but to just take on the shot. Great finish, though. One of those ones where you knew it was in as soon as it left his boot, sat right behind it and the keeper was never getting near it. Ethan Ross was a nuisance when he came on, lively and sharp. Will need another look at the penalty but we were due a decision after the pathetic decision to give the foul against Varian in the first half. Never felt confident in Bene scoring the penalty but great desire to get it forced over the line. 

Well worth the trip. 

1 hour ago, Otis Blue said:

What's not to like? Diddy Cup or not it's a final and it's winnable for each club. Great day out. 👌

The Challenge Cup is a pointless Diddy competition until your team makes it to the final and then it becomes great. Because you have a great chance of winning silverware and having a fun day out.

Always fondly look back on the years County won it.

I think winning a cup for the first time as manager would be the perfect way to end mcglynns time in management with us after not getting to lead his team out in two finals. It would be a fitting end to the very good work he has actually done for this club and will take a bit of focus off of a certain signing as well.

It all means f all if we can't follow up two good performances on Saturday though and finally get that league win.

So, Dan Armstrong. I was in a minority, I think, who considered him overrated when with us, and not half the player he thought he was. I remember fondly the initial impact he made but quickly thought his decision making suspect and his supreme confidence unfounded. I shed no tears when he left the 1st time, or the 2nd time, indeed I'd resorted to calling him Aaaarrggghhmstrong whenever an over elaborate flick failed, or he conceded possession or another set piece missed all targets. Yes, he scored a couple of beauties, but just as many times gave the ball straight back.

And so McInnes wanted to give him a chance last night. The fact he needed to be given a chance says a lot. Maybe he was still recovering from being roasted by Tumilty during his goal in a previous game, but if last night was his chance to impress, I suspect, like many of his set pieces, he's missed the target. Again.

I would've objectively classed Zanatta for Armstrong as a downgrade. Whilst Zanatta has not continued his early season form, I think it's fair to say that that judgement was wrong. 

I do not miss Armstrong's ability to consistently hit the first man from any attempted cross. 

Armstrong was a frustration with us. He consistently wasted dead balls and was anonymous. Yet he could be great, the away game at Dundee in the playoffs he was like a man possessed.

Did anyone who’s listened to the gaffers interview think he was a bit of a dick to the interviewer when asked about Varian going off at half time?

Just on Varian, what a half he had last night. I’ve been a huge critic of him but my god he didn’t half lead the line! He bullied Stokes from the start and had a perfectly good goal chalked off.

24 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

Did anyone who’s listened to the gaffers interview think he was a bit of a dick to the interviewer when asked about Varian going off at half time?

Just on Varian, what a half he had last night. I’ve been a huge critic of him but my god he didn’t half lead the line! He bullied Stokes from the start and had a perfectly good goal chalked off.

It was a poorly worded  question in that he had already answered itself  and deserved the answer he got !

3 hours ago, Michael W said:

I would've objectively classed Zanatta for Armstrong as a downgrade. Whilst Zanatta has not continued his early season form, I think it's fair to say that that judgement was wrong. 

I do not miss Armstrong's ability to consistently hit the first man from any attempted cross. 

Me too 

Frank is most definetly in the fabric of the club. One of the great managers the McGlynn of his day and without who the success of the nineties would not have happened.