The New Raith Rovers Thread

3 hours ago, R.R.FC said:

Yeah, I thought Val did a great job at the start of this issue and her voice certainly helped save us the site of seeing rapist on the pitch in a Raith Rovers shirt and I will always be grateful for that.

However, her recent comments do not cover herself in glory. The above comments seem like taking another opportunity to stick the boot to the board rather than a full and reasoned understanding of the situation.

That post and her previous ‘Val McDermid vs Raith Rovers, there was only going to be one winner’ are disappointing takes driven by ego rather than a sticking up for what was right as she did initially with a strong moral stance.

Yeah. It's really quite petty and unnecessary at this stage. 

Getting him out on loan somewhere was always our best option in the short term. If this then leads to a permanent deal in the summer it will almost certainly be the best outcome for us from a financial point of view. 

2 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Yeah. It's really quite petty and unnecessary at this stage. 

Surely though the more noise that Raith fans continue to make, the better a chance you have of these changes that were alluded to on that statement happening? 

What happens for Raith fans if they get to the end of the season and nothing happens, you still have the same directors and management team etc? 

53 minutes ago, Yoss said:

So he's still on the books, we're still actively facilitating his place in the game, and the board's overriding priority remains limiting the damage to themselves rather than doing the right thing or even paying lip service to victims of sexual violence or any of the issues involved.

f**k them.

He is on the books for a few months before hopefully joining Clyde again in summer. There was the chance he dug his heels in,gave up on football and remained on our books for 2.5years if we couldn’t afford the lump sum so I think we are doing okay here

hopefully the Dunfermline fans that can’t seem to stay away from this subject get to see Goodwillie up close and personal in league one next year lol

Just now, Grant228 said:

Surely though the more noise that Raith fans continue to make, the better a chance you have of these changes that were alluded to on that statement happening? 

What happens for Raith fans if they get to the end of the season and nothing happens, you still have the same directors and management team etc? 

McGlynn will leave in summer, Paul smith and ceo will probably leave, board will review their positions, expect one or two will go,  sim will stay

2 minutes ago, zicoromaines said:

McGlynn will leave in summer, Paul smith and ceo will probably leave, board will review their positions, expect one or two will go,  sim will stay

I appreciate there's little to no chance of Sim ultimately moving on, all you can hope for in that respect is to get people on the board that will listen and try and put the fans forward. 

The same folk banging the same drum over and over it seems.

I'm not sure how I feel about Goodwillie going out on loan, as opposed to having his contract terminated, just yet. My kneejerk reaction is that it isn't ideal but then I quickly acknowledge the likelihood that it's almost certainly the most straightforward option for the club, whilst also mitigating against negative financial impact.

I realise money isn't everything etc. and there will be Rovers supporters who see this loan move as not good enough. For me personally, Goodwillie physically isn't at the club and that's better than him simply being told to hold off coming to training.

I'm not a season ticket holder. I wasn't brought up supporting the club. This is a move in the right direction of me wanting to be part of things going forward though, for sure.

2 minutes ago, CrossgatesCynic said:

The same folk banging the same drum over and over it seems.

I'm not sure how I feel about Goodwillie going out on loan, as opposed to having his contract terminated, just yet. My kneejerk reaction is that it isn't ideal but then I quickly acknowledge the likelihood that it's almost certainly the most straightforward option for the club, whilst also mitigating against negative financial impact.

I realise money isn't everything etc. and there will be Rovers supporters who see this loan move as not good enough. For me personally, Goodwillie physically isn't at the club and that's better than him simply being told to hold off coming to training.

I'm not a season ticket holder. I wasn't brought up supporting the club. This is a move in the right direction of me wanting to be part of things going forward though, for sure.

Sums up my feelings too. My primary concern was that he never wears the jersey, and that feels like it has been achieved. Ideally I’d prefer him to be gone completely but legally we need his agreement. This feels like a pragmatic approach given that there are few if any other teams likely willing to take him. He is owed 2.5 years wages and whether we give him the whole lot now or in instalments doesn’t really bother me. Anything Clyde contribute now and potentially the next two seasons is less for us to pay, no point compounding the initial mistake with a further financial one.

Just now, Sergeant Wilson said:

Devil's advocate:

If Clyde hadn't taken him you were paying it all. Why would they clean out their budget to take him back?

Stupidity, the same reason that the Rovers signed him in the first place.

There is no scenario where any of it makes rational sense.

1 minute ago, roverthemoon said:

Also the notion that Val McDermid who has sold millions of books worldwide needs a Scottish Championship club for publicity is frankly bizarre. 

On this note, apparently some folk have gone out of their way to abuse her on Twitter for her stance and were subsequently blocked, then rejoice as if it were a badge of honour.

Anyone who is not my friend is my enemy is the credo, except, just because you do not share the same opinion does not make someone an enemy, so why attack them so in public?

She is not killing the club, she never took the decision which caused division between fans.

There may be bad blood between her and the owner but why let that polarise supporters and create abuse in the process.

Lets be clear, there were three circuit breakers in series which could have prevented this.

The primary breaker is the management team, if something was wrong this breaker should have tripped.

The secondary breaker was the CEO, their job should have stopped this progressing and the breaker should have tripped.

The tertiary breaker was the BoD, here is the kicker, despite a spur AM, parallel to the circuit (and a sensible board member BC) voicing concerns, the whole deal should have failed and the breaker tripped.

The spur being the council which was sought by the fan's director and the FLO urging the board not to sign the player, this was disregarded and where we find ourselves now.

The fallout is irrelevant, it's the fault of one or more of the circuit breakers failing, and it certainly shouldn't have been the the tertiary, for the want of trying.

7 hours ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

On this note, apparently some folk have gone out of their way to abuse her on Twitter for her stance and were subsequently blocked, then rejoice as if it were a badge of honour.

This whole episode has laid bare the underlying misogyny and stupidity of a section of our support. That some folk are directing all their abuse towards a female who objected to us signing a rapist rather than the group of men who actually green lighted signing the rapist says a lot. 

Edited by roverthemoon