The New Raith Rovers Thread

I think we obviously need to go back to a similar set up to the one we employed early in the season, but to really make that work we desperately need Spencer back. Has there been any news on this comeback? 

Quite frankly we should be offering him everything we offered Goodwillie, and more, to get him to sign a new deal. 

Just now, Ro Sham Bo said:

I think we obviously need to go back to a similar set up to the one we employed early in the season, but to really make that work we desperately need Spencer back. Has there been any news on this comeback? 

Quite frankly we should be offering him everything we offered Goodwillie, and more, to get him to sign a new deal. 

Two to three weeks seems to be what JMcG suggested in the pre-game interview…and that’s ready to play a bit, not start.

16 minutes ago, Paco said:

I don’t think we should be considering sacking McGlynn based on on-field matters. He’s got enough credit in the bank to allow him a sticky patch.

I do however expect Inverness to sack Dodds very soon and that might just be enough to get them into 4th ahead of us, or indeed whichever of the chasing pack overtakes us.

Has he though? An entire quarter without a win and the Goodwillie signing on top of that.  If he’s got credit in the bank I’m not sure he’s got much left. We’ve Partick and Killie up next. 

15 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

Has he though? An entire quarter without a win and the Goodwillie signing on top of that.  If he’s got credit in the bank I’m not sure he’s got much left. We’ve Partick and Killie up next. 

Yeah I would agree with this. He's probably got some left but if this extends to 12 or 13 games then we might need to act. 

Can I ask a question, without going full tin foil hat, here goes. Was this a planned sabotage. It’s just a few of us at work are thinking it. The Manager and Directors knew this bullshit would kick up dust, so why fucking do it. 

15 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I think Stanton should be able to fill that role, but McGlynn has meddled elsewhere recently and he hasn't really had a fair crack at it.

For Thistle, I'd be going back to basics and the first quarter of the season:

MacDonald;

Tumilty, Musonda, Berra, Mackie;

Stanton, Matthews;

Connolly, Ross, Zanatta;

Varian

There are a couple of changes you could make there without affecting much. Dick/Mackie is a total toss-up, you could easily put Williamson in for Matthews if you wanted to, and Varian/Gullan/Poplatnik is a revolving door of apparent mediocrity. What we don't have is any alternative whatsoever to Connolly and Zanatta. One of McGlynn's aforementioned meddles was putting Williamson out wide and it just doesn't work. 

And without wanting to provoke the oh-so-predictable comedians, the big issue with that set up is the one we've had all along - we don't have a striker who'll score goals. Varian gets the nod for me because in lieu of goals you need him to bring Zanatta/Ross/Connolly into the game and he's much better at that than Gullan or Poplatnik. Annoyingly, I think he's by far the least likely to grab a goal himself, but that's just where we are right now. 

Other teams had worked out our Varian-based attack earlier in the year, but we've not come close to finding an alternative. It has to be this, and if that means hoping that Thistle have forgotten how to counter it, so be it. We don't have the players to do anything else. 

5 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Yeah I would agree with this. He's probably got some left but if this extends to 12 or 13 games then we might need to act. 

I’m obviously someone who’s criticized McGlynn more than others over this but yep that’s pretty much it.  Even without the Goodwillie stuff if we get beaten the next two games the pressure will start to mount. McGlynn has lots of credit with the fans (especially pre 31 Jan) but with every failure to win that disappears for any manager. He desperately needs a win and soon! 

Personally I don’t want us to get into a situation where we sack good managers for bad runs of form.

Obviously there hits a stage where anybody deserves the boot and maybe I’m even being out of touch with the way football tends to work now, but we didn’t even sack Gary Locke after 9 league games without a win.

Of course the Goodwillie situation does come into it but I’m speaking solely in football terms here.

16 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:

I think Stanton should be able to fill that role, but McGlynn has meddled elsewhere recently and he hasn't really had a fair crack at it.

For Thistle, I'd be going back to basics and the first quarter of the season:

MacDonald;

Tumilty, Musonda, Berra, Mackie;

Stanton, Matthews;

Connolly, Ross, Zanatta;

Varian

There are a couple of changes you could make there without affecting much. Dick/Mackie is a total toss-up, you could easily put Williamson in for Matthews if you wanted to, and Varian/Gullan/Poplatnik is a revolving door of apparent mediocrity. What we don't have is any alternative whatsoever to Connolly and Zanatta. One of McGlynn's aforementioned meddles was putting Williamson out wide and it just doesn't work. 

And without wanting to provoke the oh-so-predictable comedians, the big issue with that set up is the one we've had all along - we don't have a striker who'll score goals. Varian gets the nod for me because in lieu of goals you need him to bring Zanatta/Ross/Connolly into the game and he's much better at that than Gullan or Poplatnik. Annoyingly, I think he's by far the least likely to grab a goal himself, but that's just where we are right now. 

Other teams had worked out our Varian-based attack earlier in the year, but we've not come close to finding an alternative. It has to be this, and if that means hoping that Thistle have forgotten how to counter it, so be it. We don't have the players to do anything else. 

Agree with that. Nothing else appears to work so we need to just go with this and stick with it. I'm pretty certain it'll get us more points than anything else we try, however low a bar that might be. 

20 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

Can I ask a question, without going full tin foil hat, here goes. Was this a planned sabotage. It’s just a few of us at work are thinking it. The Manager and Directors knew this bullshit would kick up dust, so why fucking do it. 

False flag so that Russia can invade Ukraine. 

I don’t think mcglynn will go until the end of the season. But i think he will. We had a good start, but teams have figured us out. It was no surprise to hear in the raith tv commentary that our midfield were struggling and set peices weren’t hitting anyone in particular. It’s been the same since December.