The New Raith Rovers Thread

35 minutes ago, stevoraith said:

I disagree with being angry about the fact he's still on the books.

We've said he won't play or train with the club so there's no benefit to us 'keeping him on the books'- it's obviously just taking time to iron out the legal implications and that's why he's not officially gone yet, but to all intents and purposes he is gone.

I also don't see the difference between paying him off in one lump or paying him monthly as per his initial contract.  We have to pay him what he is due legally so why does it matter how it is done? (I can understand worrying about where the money comes from, but not when it is paid). 

I’d have to disagree, paying him monthly means he’s an employee of Raith Rovers FC for the next two and a half years.  Paying him off means he’s no longer an employee of Raith Rovers FC. I’d prefer he’s no longer associated with our club whether he plays or not. 

Never mind any of that shite, Goodwillie is STILL on the books. It’s been 2 weeks, how long does it take to negotiate a settlement with him.  He’s not playing - Great, he’s not training - fantastic. Then why’s he still here! 

We can talk bridge building, resignations, sackings and everything else once he’s actually gone.
If you think you can settle a employment issue like this in two weeks then you've not a scooby doo of the issues that have to addressed.

9 minutes ago, foreverarover said:
4 hours ago, San Starko Rover said:
Never mind any of that shite, Goodwillie is STILL on the books. It’s been 2 weeks, how long does it take to negotiate a settlement with him.  He’s not playing - Great, he’s not training - fantastic. Then why’s he still here! 

We can talk bridge building, resignations, sackings and everything else once he’s actually gone.

If you think you can settle a employment issue like this in two weeks then you've not a scooby doo of the issues that have to addressed.

Well I’m always happy to learn so do please enlighten us all as to the exact details and time frame that the negotiations will take. 

Given Goodwillie will be (likely) holding out for as much as he feels he's entitled to from his deal, I don't think it's unreasonable to assume the legal wranglings over this will take longer than a fortnight.

That doesn't mean people need to be happy about it. Neither does it mean the board are continuing to be boogeymen in this situation.

3 minutes ago, CrossgatesCynic said:

Given Goodwillie will be (likely) holding out for as much as he feels he's entitled to from his deal, I don't think it's unreasonable to assume the legal wranglings over this will take longer than a fortnight.

That doesn't mean people need to be happy about it. Neither does it mean the board are continuing to be boogeymen in this situation.

Pretty much this, it takes as long as it’s dragged out which depends on both parties agreeing. If one party refuses to agree it could last a long time.  If both parties agree I’m pretty sure decent lawyers could easily hash it out within that time frame. All depends on if it’s a “Mutual Termination” which neither my learned friend nor myself has any clue over. 

No you don’t, you’ve got zero idea how long it takes. It would depend on many factors. 
As someone who has negotiated several compromise or settlement agreements in my time I can confirm this commonly takes weeks. There are many contractual elements to consider and lawyers will make proposals and counter proposals, back and forth until the agreement is reached. And lawyers aren't sitting around waiting for new iterations to appear in their inbox every day, so time drags on. All of that said, I'd expect it to be nearly done now, and ready for signatures by both parties soon.

7 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:

As someone who has negotiated several compromise or settlement agreements in my time I can confirm this commonly takes weeks. There are many contractual elements to consider and lawyers will make proposals and counter proposals, back and forth until the agreement is reached. And lawyers aren't sitting around waiting for new iterations to appear in their inbox every day, so time drags on. All of that said, I'd expect it to be nearly done now, and ready for signatures by both parties soon.

How much is there to negotiate? You owe him his contract paid in full.

I don't have the time or space to explain it all, save to say it's called a compromise agreement for good reason. Very few people get all they're entitled to because they settle for less for the chance to walk away and get out of the spotlight. I've never seen anyone get every penny.

6 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:
11 minutes ago, Terry_Tibbs said:

I don't have the time or space to explain it all, save to say it's called a compromise agreement for good reason. Very few people get all they're entitled to because they settle for less for the chance to walk away and get out of the spotlight. I've never seen anyone get every penny.

If DGW refuses to budge what will Raith do? His career is over so he's got nothing to lose and needs every penny. The longer he is on the books the more it's going to cost Raith.

Edited by Terry_Tibbs

38 minutes ago, Terry_Tibbs said:

If DGW refuses to budge what will Raith do? His career is over so he's got nothing to lose and needs every penny. The longer he is on the books the more it's going to cost Raith.

Welcome to the Time Value of Money. It actually potentially doesn’t cost more, in todays pounds, to pay him as contracted, it might even cost less. If he doesn’t want to budge, you can offer him a personal services contract identical to his Raith contract to get him off the Raith books or you can purchase an annuity contract to pay X amount at a discount on face value. Granted, for a two to three year payout, the discount isn’t huge.

So, do the BoD now consider tossing JMcG overboard to try to ease the pressure on them and the Club? John was the face of this fiasco after they sent him forth, perhaps deliberately. Install PS thru the end of the season, with the intent of replacing him too, given his associations with this matter. Just wondering.

I don’t think we should be considering sacking McGlynn based on on-field matters. He’s got enough credit in the bank to allow him a sticky patch.

I do however expect Inverness to sack Dodds very soon and that might just be enough to get them into 4th ahead of us, or indeed whichever of the chasing pack overtakes us.

2 minutes ago, Paco said:

I don’t think we should be considering sacking McGlynn based on on-field matters. He’s got enough credit in the bank to allow him a sticky patch.

I do however expect Inverness to sack Dodds very soon and that might just be enough to get them into 4th ahead of us.

Just now, Against The Machine said:

Keeping McGlynn through the Goodwillie fiasco and then binning him for fairly tenuous football reasons would just be further embarrassment. 

There should be a brick wall between the Goodwillie catastrophe and everything else. Football's got nothing to do with it. If it did, we'd have kept quiet when they c**t arrived. 

While I agree on the principle, I’m wondering what the BoD might be thinking…human sacrifice to appease the gods? They’ve already shown themselves to be remarkably impervious to rational actions and thoughts.

1 minute ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

That's an entire quarter without a win. With most of the teams below us all in much better form, just how low can we go? I doubt we could get dragged into the bottom two but 7th or 8th looks possible. 

The quicker this season ends the better. 

With the current table and totals, historically 36 or 37 points would secure 8th…so I’d exactly agree and, given the lassitude and malaise that seems to pervade the Club, certainly at least finishing behind Partick and the Accies seems likely, plus Morton looks revived too.

The board won't sack McGlynn. The Goodwillie saga has wounded him, but he's still popular and the board are not in a position to piss everyone off further. 

9 games, a quarter of the season, without a win is not acceptable at all and a lesser manager would've been under serious pressure by now. McGlynn has credit in the bank, but he's burned a bit of it on Goodwillie and he needs to get results soon. He could stop playing Gullan up front on his own for starters, maybe that would help. 

The table doesn't look as unkind to us as it could as Partick have loads of games in hand and Caley are almost as dung as we are.  

Edited by Michael W