The New Raith Rovers Thread

39 minutes ago, 101 said:

I'm off work sick, this is the big talking point in the championship.

Apologies if you want this story to disappear.

Yes I would happily get it right up anyone who is willing the cheer on someone who thought signing Goodwillie was a good idea. If anything I'm amazed Raith fans have turned round so quickly.

Your Manager, CEO and Chairman are all still in place and look to have successfully ridden out the wave.

It's your club but I wouldn't be comfortable returning whilst the people who, have ruined 139 years of fine history remained in place, you can see that Clyde fans haven't returned because they felt the club left them, their principles and their purpose.

Forgive me if you think that's something that ought to be reversed within a fortnight, I think it takes wholesale change. Something that can't be changed if folk say the story is done.

How have they ridden out the wave?  It's way too early to say that, it's not even been two weeks.  I'd say it's quite clear the vast majority of Rovers fans want the CEO and the board/chairman gone.  McGlynn is the only one people are on the fence about.

But if the management team, CEO, board and Chairman all went in one go the club would end up in even more of a mess than it is already.  It's quite obvious that you can't just get rid of everybody overnight and expect that to work.  That's not even including the fact that Sim owns the club, so everything is reliant on him stepping back but still funding the club.  Which, based on his email replies, he does seem willing to do.

My expectation is that nothing will happen until after Goodwillie's contract situation has been resolved.  

If we go into next season and absolutely nothing has changed, and season ticket sales haven't been affected, then at that point I'd say they'd got away with it.  But I very much doubt that's going to be the case.

Edited by SanStarko

Goodwillie hasn't been employed by the club for two years so the chances of him claiming constructive dismissal are remote. As it is, he is being paid for doing absolutely nothing and he is not going to get another club in Scotland let alone Britain after what happened. 

He has a contract and, regrettably, we either pay it in full or reach an agreement with him. The main problem as I see it at the moment is how we do this - simply put, we don't have the means to do this immediately. Perhaps a large portion of the Celtic money will go directly into his pockets and then we work out the rest somehow. My contributions are less than a lot of people as I am not in a position to attend matches without significant additional expense, but I don't want any money that I put into the club to be funding the payoff. 

Our negotiating position is absolutely terrible. The club has been absolutely eviscerated over the signing and its hand forced by the club's volunteers resigning. On top of that, Goodwillie has no other avenues open to him to continue in the game, is 33 and this is his last payday. He will dig in and he is entitled to. The pain of this will be felt for years.

I listened to McGlynn's interview and also read the summaries a number lf times. I believe he is sorry for what's happened and that he has put forward an honest version of events. I am however both incredulous and disappointed that he didn't foresee the consequences of this, although in the main objections were put to the board via the SLO/fan director. I think he's been incredibly naive here and unfortunately that attitude was shared with our board, who I don't think considered the risks of this properly, or more worryingly disregarded them. 

For me, McGlynn still has to go, I'm afraid. He has contributed to a horrendous act of self-sabotage that has put the club in a dreadful position and caused it to suffer an amount of damage that cannot, as of yet, be fully determined. I am comfortable for him to see the season out unless our dreadful run of form continues another few weeks, but at that point I think we say our goodbyes.  

Change in the boardroom is the more pressing problem, though. It's not going to be easy and the process needs to start now rather than later as momentum will be lost. 

2 hours ago, Raithie said:

The club aren't going to come out and apologise for signing DG due to him being a rapist, they just won't use those words. Any apologies will be directly due to the impact it's had on the club and I've no doubt the reason for that is down to the fact DG is probably still proclaiming he's innocent even though everyone and their dug knows he's not. It's a no win situation. Legally I don't know where DG would stand if his employer came out and called him a rapist and whether he has grounds to take that further. 

The media have been calling him a rapist for years, if he decided to sue everyone that said so and won he'd be a millionaire.

However, he won't, because he's a shitebag and knows that he would be laughed out of court and be skint in the process.

There's nothing stopping his 'employer' calling him what he is unless they think it would prejudice the settlement discussion, it would be refreshing if at the end of it they would call him out.

There's nothing stopping his 'employer' calling him what he is unless they think it would prejudice the settlement discussion, it would be refreshing if at the end of it they would call him out.

That would make the BoD and associates look even more out of touch / arrogant than they already are. They were aware of his baggage before they signed him, there's no way they can tiptoe around this or deflect culpability.

9 hours ago, TxRover said:

1) JMcG grew up in an era of boys will be boys, and it’s clear from his part in this that he hadn’t fully come around to a more modern view, and now it’s too late. 

2) Fitba has been a refuge for caveman types for a long time, that period seems to be ending.

1) I resemble that remark! I am older than McGlynn but I never personally experienced the era of "boys will be boys". For the majority of my working life I was either in an office environment or in a sales role where I sometimes had female bosses and a "boys will be boys" attitude just wouldn't be tolerated.

2) This I agree with wholeheartedly. It is much more of a cultural issue rather than a generational issue.

I'm an outsider so my opinion means nothing but my opinion on McGlynn has softened now that I've seen him speak. Previously I would have said that he had to go while he was saying nothing or towing the party line but I see a man in that interview that is filled with regret and didn't imagine the sort of outcry there would have been due to his logic that he had played for Clyde for 5 years, including when Raith were in the same division. Its totally wrong logic but I can at least understand why someone who's focus is on the football team might think that. 

There seems to be many glowing reports on his character and how much he will be hurting on twitter and people have spoken this whole time including Val McDermid etc that the first step to rehabilitation is admitting what you did was wrong and that you want to start to make amends through your future actions and I can see why someone of his stature at the club would be given that chance of redemption. 

The board members I can't get on board with though, they knew the implications of everything financially and reputationally and then doubled down on it even further with their first statement. 

6 hours ago, Daz80 said:

Can’t work out if you are more obsessed with gymnastics or McGlynn, what a weird guy. 

Don't like rape apologists in football. 

3 hours ago, John MacLean said:

fans of other clubs supposedly point scoring rather than focusing on the fact that Denise Clair was the victim of a horrific crime, let down by the Scottish legal system and that employing a man judged a rapist is just plain wrong. 

On this point I don't agree, fans of other clubs have been pretty consistent throughout this whole sorry saga that signing a rapist is reprehensible, and that those responsible for it have no place in football, and that includes McGlynn. 

It's absolutely correct that the victim in this is Denise Clair, and it must've been absolutely fucking shite to have this all dredged up again, beyond horrific. And you're absolutely correct that signing a rapist is just plain wrong, with that then I'm not sure how holding the beleif that dinosaur picks like McGlynn have no place in professional football is point scoring. His apology is absolutely nonsense "Thought it'd be alright because there wasn't as big an outcry at Clyde" is absolutely awful and I'm surprised and shocked there's so many Raith fans lapping it up. 

1 hour ago, SanStarko said:

How have they ridden out the wave?  

I'd say so, go back to when the story broke fans of all clubs were pretty united in the opinion that it was an awful signing and those responsible should do one, fast forward to the present day and McGlynn with what I genuinely thought was an absolutely pish apology, on his 3rd? Opportunity to speak to the press has been forgiven, I find it utterly baffling. The man has dragged your club's name through the gutter and has forever associated you as the club that signed a rapist, forgiven because he's an OK manager. 

It's looking likely you'll come out of those 200k+ down, reputation in tatters and sponsors not wanting to know you, and with absolutely no one being held responsible. 

23 minutes ago, port-ton said:

The board members I can't get on board with though, 

Until they also do a shite apology right enough. 

13 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

On this point I don't agree, fans of other clubs have been pretty consistent throughout this whole sorry saga that signing a rapist is reprehensible, and that those responsible for it have no place in football, and that includes McGlynn. 

I wasn't suggesting that fans were actually using it as point scoring exercise. I was referencing a post where someone suggested that that was the case and as an example of how some are choosing to focus on something other than what was important. 

2 hours ago, Michael W said:

Goodwillie hasn't been employed by the club for two years so the chances of him claiming constructive dismissal are remote. As it is, he is being paid for doing absolutely nothing and he is not going to get another club in Scotland let alone Britain after what happened. 

He has a contract and, regrettably, we either pay it in full or reach an agreement with him. The main problem as I see it at the moment is how we do this - simply put, we don't have the means to do this immediately. Perhaps a large portion of the Celtic money will go directly into his pockets and then we work out the rest somehow. My contributions are less than a lot of people as I am not in a position to attend matches without significant additional expense, but I don't want any money that I put into the club to be funding the payoff.

Our negotiating position is absolutely terrible. The club has been absolutely eviscerated over the signing and its hand forced by the club's volunteers resigning. On top of that, Goodwillie has no other avenues open to him to continue in the game, is 33 and this is his last payday. He will dig in and he is entitled to. The pain of this will be felt for years.

I listened to McGlynn's interview and also read the summaries a number lf times. I believe he is sorry for what's happened and that he has put forward an honest version of events. I am however both incredulous and disappointed that he didn't foresee the consequences of this, although in the main objections were put to the board via the SLO/fan director. I think he's been incredibly naive here and unfortunately that attitude was shared with our board, who I don't think considered the risks of this properly, or more worryingly disregarded them. 

For me, McGlynn still has to go, I'm afraid. He has contributed to a horrendous act of self-sabotage that has put the club in a dreadful position and caused it to suffer an amount of damage that cannot, as of yet, be fully determined. I am comfortable for him to see the season out unless our dreadful run of form continues another few weeks, but at that point I think we say our goodbyes.  

Change in the boardroom is the more pressing problem, though. It's not going to be easy and the process needs to start now rather than later as momentum will be lost. 

And unfortunately unless those responsible for the signing pay DG what hes entitled to out their own pockets  it will be the supporters who,ll end up funding it directly,indirectly

Edited by Rovers_Lad

A different viewpoint, my wife was a professional dealing with a autistic kids of various abilities up to teenage years. She has no interest at all in football, every time she has seen John McGlynn being interviewed she always says he is on the “spectrum” most likely Asperger’s as he is so driven, her throw away comment was “He won’t see anything but solutions” just a thought.

4 minutes ago, RRFC2711 said:

A different viewpoint, my wife was a professional dealing with a autistic kids of various abilities up to teenage years. She has no interest at all in football, every time she has seen John McGlynn being interviewed she always says he is on the “spectrum” most likely Asperger’s as he is so driven, her throw away comment was “He won’t see anything but solutions” just a thought.

Honest to f**k, I think now would be a good time to delete your post. 

7 minutes ago, RRFC2711 said:

Mental gymnastics comment incoming...

8 minutes ago, RRFC2711 said:

OFFS