The New Raith Rovers Thread

I disagree with that. He was willing to explain the rationale from his perspective for going ahead with signing Goodwillie - he was at Clyde as captain, we played against them, nobody really made a huge fuss* about it all, he was coaching disabled children in his free time - but I don’t think that should be conflated with the apology itself. Personally I think showing a willingness to explain why he got it so wrong rather than just saying ‘don’t know what we we were thinking about, sorry everyone’ is a lot more meaningful.

Direct quotes - “we got it wrong, we hold our hands up, we apologise enormously for the distress we’ve caused, we’ve obviously hurt a lot of people and we apologise to each and every one of them”. Obviously he could just be saying words to make it all go away, it can’t really be proven either way. But I’m not sure what else he can actually say?

*and just to be absolutely clear on the ‘not a huge fuss’ at Clyde thing, we’ve been over this ground enough. I’m obviously not saying there was no fuss, but it was broadly accepted in the football world.

I'm sure he does mean every word of it and I'm sure he's genuinely sorry, devastated more likely, about the offence and hurt this has caused. But saying, "I'm sorry you were offended" isn't the same as saying sorry for your own actions.

The fact that it was broadly accepted in the football world is part of the problem, not a justification for doing it - as you say, something that's been discussed to death.

I think it’s unfair to criticise Bene, he may not be the brightest button but as club captain he was willing to sit side by side with his manager and face the media flack that he knew would be coming his way and the grilling he was going to get  and took his  responsibility as club captain- unlike the folk who should have been there and not hiding and have taken no responsibility - the Chairman and the CEO[emoji35]
I wasn't criticising him for any of that. He just isn't very good at interviews in general.

ALways thought McGlynn was a bit of a gobshite but that interview to me is as sincere as it gets, he has apologised, fronted up, showed a bit balls and leadership and genuinely seems apologetic. I also think he means it when he says he underestimated the reaction to the signing. He actually looked like was almost welling up at one point and i suppose its only him that will know if it was crocodile tears or not.

Would say any talk of sacking him is a joke, get behind him and the team. 

Surely it's a simple matter of Raith trying to talk Goodwillie out of taking the entire value of the contract, either by releasing him and offering a % of the deal up front. Or seeing if a loan deal can be struck with another mutually acceptable club to cover X% of his wages.
However at Goodwillies age you would imagine he would be fairly happy to coin it in for a few years and find something else to do.

Also the press conference seems to be summarised by McGlynn shat it. Hope he is evicerated during his TV interviews.
The issue, may lie in that he can't do anything else if earning a full time wage. If the contract runs both ways.

6 minutes ago, foreverarover said:
17 hours ago, 101 said:
Surely it's a simple matter of Raith trying to talk Goodwillie out of taking the entire value of the contract, either by releasing him and offering a % of the deal up front. Or seeing if a loan deal can be struck with another mutually acceptable club to cover X% of his wages.
However at Goodwillies age you would imagine he would be fairly happy to coin it in for a few years and find something else to do.

Also the press conference seems to be summarised by McGlynn shat it. Hope he is evicerated during his TV interviews.

The issue, may lie in that he can't do anything else if earning a full time wage. If the contract runs both ways.

If Raith aren't going to play him and don't want him to come to training I would imagine any decent lawyer would call that constructive dismissal.

Even if Raith think they can get away with that, he could easily sit on the sofa for 2 years happily. Not sure why anyone in his situation would walk away from the pay day of your life.

Agree with others here that McGlynn seems to have genuine pain and remorse at what the decision has done to the club. His affection for Raith is clear and no doubt if he knew the consequences now things would have been different.

However, the length of timaken to say so, and the way in which he pursued Goodwillie in the first place (despite clear objections from the wider Raith Rovers community), would suggest to me that; not only does he not entirely appreciate the anguish, pain and reasoning behind the negative reactions, but that he was so blinkered that he is incredulous as to why he has received the criticism. Which worries me more generally about attitudes in Scottish football.

Shitebag behaviour from the board also, sending McGlynn out without commenting honestly and publicly themselves.

47 minutes ago, 101 said:

If you want to ignore the fact your entire woman's team left the club and set up a new club in protest, then yeh other than that no one condemned it :lol:

Pretty obvious I meant within the professional (i.e men's) game.

I don't think there's likely to be a lad culture issue in the women's game.

Do you know of any footballers, managers, coaches or board members of any of the SPFL member clubs who have spoken out?

I just can't accept the premise that they couldn't have forseen the shitshow. It is widely reported that quite a large proportion of fans emailed the club to warn about it. The Fans rep on the board and another director (the only local Rovers men on the board) warned them about it. Val McDermid warned them about it.

They could've forseen it if they wanted too.

I'll return once I am satisfied as to the means of paying off Goodwillie and what my contribution to that would be, I won't return until I am satisfied on that front. What happens with the board and manager will likely be determined by the bigger economics of sponsorship etc and we will find that out in due course. 

Although my morals may be tested by a Rovers mad 9 year old who is absolutely desperate to get back to games. 

1 hour ago, stevoraith said:

Yeah, I agree with the above takes on it too.

But.... does that mean he should no longer be manager?  I think this episode has shown that the attitudes towards 'that type of thing' in football are outdated and that the vast majority of men working in football need educated.

There hasn't been any condemnation of the signing from anyone who is currently involved in playing or managing in Scotland as far as I can remember.

So will it do any good replacing McGlynn with another manager who probably feels the same way but was just lucky enough not to broadcast his lack of understanding to the world?

Or would we be better seeing some sort of pledge from those at our club to ensure that we become the gold standard on tackling, and trying to eradicate, the lad culture that exists within the game by educating our employees?

Realistically I think as well as being the right thing to do morally, a public and visible education program for our players and management team is the only way we'll win back some sponsors and fans.

Sadly, this is true.

Not detracting in any way from what we have done, and anyone can look at my posting history on this to corroborate. However, there hasn't been any real condemnation from within the game. Goodwillie has been playing, scoring, captaining Clyde for 5 years now and, despite some protestations, Scottish Football has largely been accepting of it. This is one of the ingredients that led to the bombshell last week.

Shameful stuff.

7 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

McGlynn isn't sorry, you can see that he's struggling - badly - to show proper empathy to the situation (all, of his own making). He's murmuring out soundbites while trying to look apologetic but he's clearly sat thinking "Oh just shut up with this shite, it's done now." 

well it kind of is done now is it not?

Not much else can be said or done, the damage was done, what you want, for him to get stoned alive or something?

Seems society wants everyone to loose their livelihood or worse when someone makes a mistake, in this instance John Mcglynn.

People want the board sacked, McGlynn sacked, of course Goodwillie out of the club, but whats next, the admin guy who made him sign on the dotted line, the kit man for handing him a tracksuit. 

The club took action, apologised and accepted it was the wrong move, people need to move on. The fans kicked off and rightly got the result they wanted. Time to get behind your team now and stop whining

If Raith aren't going to play him and don't want him to come to training I would imagine any decent lawyer would call that constructive dismissal.
Even if Raith think they can get away with that, he could easily sit on the sofa for 2 years happily. Not sure why anyone in his situation would walk away from the pay day of your life.
Not for the first time, you're clueless. His contract will be terminated by way of a very ordinary compromise or settlement agreement, which is why it takes some time to exchange between lawyers. The depth of your current obsession with RRFC smacks of nothing more than GIRUY and cheap point scoring. Give it a rest.

25 minutes ago, stevoraith said:

Pretty obvious I meant within the professional (i.e men's) game.

I don't think there's likely to be a lad culture issue in the women's game.

Do you know of any footballers, managers, coaches or board members of any of the SPFL member clubs who have spoken out?

Not publicly, but then only 2 former Raith board members have condemned his signing. 

No doubt there are plenty others who don't feel it would be appropriate to comment publicly.

13 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:
42 minutes ago, 101 said:

Not for the first time, you're clueless. His contract will be terminated by way of a very ordinary compromise or settlement agreement, which is why it takes some time to exchange between lawyers. The depth of your current obsession with RRFC smacks of nothing more than GIRUY and cheap point scoring. Give it a rest.

I'm off work sick, this is the big talking point in the championship.

Apologies if you want this story to disappear.

Yes I would happily get it right up anyone who is willing the cheer on someone who thought signing Goodwillie was a good idea. If anything I'm amazed Raith fans have turned round so quickly.

Your Manager, CEO and Chairman are all still in place and look to have successfully ridden out the wave.

It's your club but I wouldn't be comfortable returning whilst the people who, have ruined 139 years of fine history remained in place, you can see that Clyde fans haven't returned because they felt the club left them, their principles and their purpose.

Forgive me if you think that's something that ought to be reversed within a fortnight, I think it takes wholesale change. Something that can't be changed if folk say the story is done.

I'm off work sick, this is the big talking point in the championship.
Apologies if you want this story to disappear.
Yes I would happily get it right up anyone who is willing the cheer on someone who thought signing Goodwillie was a good idea. If anything I'm amazed Raith fans have turned round so quickly.
Your Manager, CEO and Chairman are all still in place and look to have successfully ridden out the wave.
It's your club but I wouldn't be comfortable returning whilst the people who, have ruined 139 years of fine history remained in place, you can see that Clyde fans haven't returned because they felt the club left them, their principles and their purpose.
Forgive me if you think that's something that ought to be reversed within a fortnight, I think it takes wholesale change. Something that can't be changed if folk say the story is done.
^ unable to give it a rest

10 hours ago, RavyDavy said:

You're the one that attacked me matey. Come and introduce yourself at the next home game big man 😉

This is quite possibly the most tragic post in the history of the internet.

1 hour ago, GooseLips said:

Yes, clearly. 

And did your subsequent excursion back in time to red dot 7 of my post in a thread way in 2012 make you feel any better?

What a sad (not to mention immature) wee fellow you are.

I'm clearly emotionally crushed by this action! 🤣

Edited to add now 15 and 14 of them on threads before 2016, this dude is clearly special.

Edited by Scottydog