The New Raith Rovers Thread

3 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

McGlynn isn't sorry, you can see that he's struggling - badly - to show proper empathy to the situation (all, of his own making). He's murmuring out soundbites while trying to look apologetic but he's clearly sat thinking "Oh just shut up with this shite, it's done now." 

To be fair he always looks awkward as f**k even doing RaithTV interviews 😂

As an outsider looking in and having now seen the interview, or at least a segment of it, I don't think that even now that he quite gets it. 

I don't doubt for a second his contrition at having contributed to the level of vitriol that is being directed at his club’s direction. It's clear that that causes him pain and I don't doubt the sincerity of his wish that he could turn the clock back. 

I get the sense though that he is still grasping at why it caused such an outcry. And it is, to me, the lack of apparent understanding of that issue that I find troubling. And that's something not unique to John McGlynn. 

It wouldn't cut it for me but I'm not a Rovers fan. You all know him far better than I and can speak better to what kind of person he is and whether that apology is sufficient to draw a line under things. 

As an outsider looking in and having now seen the interview, or at least a segment of it, I don't think that even now that he quite gets it. 
I don't doubt for a second his contrition at having contributed to the level of vitriol that is being directed at his club’s direction. It's clear that that causes him pain and I don't doubt the sincerity of his wish that he could turn the clock back. 
I get the sense though that he is still grasping at why it caused such an outcry. And it is, to me, the lack of apparent understanding of that issue that I find troubling. And that's something not unique to John McGlynn. 
It wouldn't cut it for me but I'm not a Rovers fan. You all know him far better than I and can speak better to what kind of person he is and whether that apology is sufficient to draw a line under things. 

I agree with this. He understands that his actions contributed to a shitstorm for the club and is genuinely sorry about that, but I don't think he truly understands why there was a shitstorm.

18 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I agree with this. He understands that his actions contributed to a shitstorm for the club and is genuinely sorry about that, but I don't think he truly understands why there was a shitstorm.

Agree with this. Don’t think anyone in a senior position within the club truly gets why people were and are so angry. What I will give McGlynn is that he at least fronted up and tried to address it. 

We have one person who effectively owns and runs our club. We are on Day 11 of this and he’s not had the balls to speak on it or even put his name to a statement.  If this has proved one thing, it’s that Sim is an absolute shitebag of a human.

Edited by roverthemoon

49 minutes ago, John MacLean said:

16 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

This is my take on it. I reckon he's not alone in Scottish Football management circles in not fully understanding the shitstorm. Unfortunately he's the one holding the grenade.

Also, this media statement would've been infinitely better received last Tuesday at 5pm when we released the doubling down statement.

9 minutes ago, Double Jack D said:

This is my take on it. I reckon he's not alone in Scottish Football management circles in not fully understanding the shitstorm. Unfortunately he's the one holding the grenade.

Also, this media statement would've been infinitely better received last Tuesday at 5pm when we released the doubling down statement.

Yeah, I agree with the above takes on it too.

But.... does that mean he should no longer be manager?  I think this episode has shown that the attitudes towards 'that type of thing' in football are outdated and that the vast majority of men working in football need educated.

There hasn't been any condemnation of the signing from anyone who is currently involved in playing or managing in Scotland as far as I can remember.

So will it do any good replacing McGlynn with another manager who probably feels the same way but was just lucky enough not to broadcast his lack of understanding to the world?

Or would we be better seeing some sort of pledge from those at our club to ensure that we become the gold standard on tackling, and trying to eradicate, the lad culture that exists within the game by educating our employees?

Realistically I think as well as being the right thing to do morally, a public and visible education program for our players and management team is the only way we'll win back some sponsors and fans.

No doubt about it there is still some real madness on here! There can also be no doubt about it there more than a smidgeon of obsession on here too!

Away fans don't like Goodwillie (who does?) and some away fans don't like John McGlynn because up until now he's done exceptionally well for Raith Rovers and is likely better manager and coach than they currently have, so they look to take him down at any given opportunity, and without question what a gift of an opportunity this has been for them. Hey, that's up to them if they are getting their jollies in winding up some Rovers fans on here, take your opportunities where you can boys, what goes around...and all that. I'm a Rovers fan and the thoughts of some opposition on here mean about as much to me as some of those real embarrassment Rovers fans with all the red dots, as far as I'm concerned they are a complete  irrelevance.

This shit show has proved a fabulous opportunity to roll out some wonderfully shit phrases, I wish I had a £10 for every time I've seen "Rape apologist" or the apparent  new favourite "Mental Gymnastics" on this tread, I wouldn't have to work month!

I'm a Raith Rovers supporter and at the end of all this I still will be when all the current custodians in power at SP have gone, Despite the massive error in judgement made I don't think McGlynn is immoral nor a bad man and I think he's genuinely sorry in his interview. Although the board now need to show similar remorse I still think they need to go as they had ultimate sanction on the deal as well as a fairly good idea in December exactly what the outcome could be. That's why as a  contributor to the club I've still no intention of returning to the fold until there are changes at board level.

1 minute ago, Scottydog said:

No doubt about it there is still some real madness on here! There can also be no doubt about it there more than a smidgeon of obsession on here too!

Away fans don't like Goodwillie (who does?) and some away fans don't like John McGlynn because up until now he's done exceptionally well for Raith Rovers and is likely better manager and coach than they currently have, so they look to take him down at any given opportunity, and without question what a gift of an opportunity this has been for them. Hey, that's up to them if they are getting their jollies in winding up some Rovers fans on here, take your opportunities where you can boys, what goes around...and all that. I'm a Rovers fan and the thoughts of some opposition on here mean about as much to me as some of those real embarrassment Rovers fans with all the red dots, as far as I'm concerned they are a complete  irrelevance.

This shit show has proved a fabulous opportunity to roll out some wonderfully shit phrases, I wish I had a £10 for every time I've seen "Rape apologist" or the apparent  new favourite "Mental Gymnastics" on this tread, I wouldn't have to work month!

I'm a Raith Rovers supporter and at the end of all this I still will be when all the current custodians in power at SP have gone, Despite the massive error in judgement made I don't think McGlynn is immoral nor a bad man and I think he's genuinely sorry in his interview. Although the board now need to show similar remorse I still think they need to go as they had ultimate sanction on the deal as well as a fairly good idea in December exactly what the outcome could be. That's why as a  contributor to the club I've still no intention of returning to the fold until there are changes at board level.

Agreed. I had my suspicions that whatever McGlynn would say yesterday or how he put it across would be questioned as him not being sincere enough. It's just the way it is and will be the same IF the board come out and say something similar. Doesn't help that McGlynn being put in front of a camera can be a bit 'awkward' at the best of times. 

1 hour ago, John MacLean said:

I agree with this. Listening to his answers yesterday, I think he is sorry about what it's done to the clubs reputation rather than regretting or feeling the wrongs of signing a rapist. I have no doubt he's sincere about hurting the club (rather than the victim or women and girl supporters) but if he meant his words, surely he could have come forward before a contractually obligated media day to do so? 

I still understand to an extent why some people are so easily willing to forgive McGlynn as he's a club legend but in my view he is equally as culpable as the board in my opinion still to this whole charade. FWIW, I don't think he'll leave before the end of the season now although I still hope he does. He has been very highly involved in one of, if not the most damaging the club has done its history. 

I do have some sympathy for the players, they've been dragged into the spotlight without being consulted on this. It'll be interesting if/when any of them speak out about it. Probably when they have left the club. 

My stance on the matter however is unchanged. A board reshuffle and new management is needed at the club before I'll be back. The longer this takes to happen will only damage the club further as well. Any sponsorship deals the club gets will likely be far less than what they had previously as I doubt they'll be lining up given that the reason for the termination of the previous deals were natuonal news and I'm sure most businesses do better due diligence than the board and management of Raith Rovers. It may also impact the on-pitch playing squad as I'm not sure how many players would be willing to sign a PCA or deal at the moment over rival clubs until work is done to change the reputation of the club. 

This was exactly how I saw it too. Its a little disappointing to see some Raith fans bending over backwards to try and let him off the hook.

Agreed. I had my suspicions that whatever McGlynn would say yesterday or how he put it across would be questioned as him not being sincere enough. It's just the way it is and will be the same IF the board come out and say something similar. Doesn't help that McGlynn being put in front of a camera can be a bit 'awkward' at the best of times. 

I don't think sincerity is the issue. As John McLean said, he's apologised for upsetting the fans but not for actually signing a rapist, most likely because he doesn't really think he's done anything wrong or understand why it upset everyone.

7 hours ago, grumswall said:

Did we really put bene out to speak in public again? We deserve all we get tbh.

I think it’s unfair to criticise Bene, he may not be the brightest button but as club captain he was willing to sit side by side with his manager and face the media flack that he knew would be coming his way and the grilling he was going to get  and took his  responsibility as club captain- unlike the folk who should have been there and not hiding and have taken no responsibility - the Chairman and the CEO😡

1 minute ago, Homer Thompson said:

This was exactly how I saw it too. Its a little disappointing to see some Raith fans bending over backwards to try and let him off the hook.

I don't think sincerity is the issue. As John McLean said, he's apologised for upsetting the fans but not for actually signing a rapist, most likely because he doesn't really think he's done anything wrong or understand why it upset everyone.

The club aren't going to come out and apologise for signing DG due to him being a rapist, they just won't use those words. Any apologies will be directly due to the impact it's had on the club and I've no doubt the reason for that is down to the fact DG is probably still proclaiming he's innocent even though everyone and their dug knows he's not. It's a no win situation. Legally I don't know where DG would stand if his employer came out and called him a rapist and whether he has grounds to take that further. 

45 minutes ago, stevoraith said:

There hasn't been any condemnation of the signing from anyone who is currently involved in playing or managing in Scotland as far as I can remember.

If you want to ignore the fact your entire woman's team left the club and set up a new club in protest, then yeh other than that no one condemned it :lol:

Some proper psychologists on here, with the ability to decipher who and what John McGlynn is sorry for/to. 

I’m happy to accept McGlynn’s apology. I’m also happy to move on and support the team. Others won’t be - this is fine. I don’t care what others think, and no one has to give a f**k what I think. No one owes anyone an explanation for what they do. Crack on. 

You don't need to be a psychologist to read the words he said.

The club aren't going to come out and apologise for signing DG due to him being a rapist, they just won't use those words. Any apologies will be directly due to the impact it's had on the club and I've no doubt the reason for that is down to the fact DG is probably still proclaiming he's innocent even though everyone and their dug knows he's not. It's a no win situation. Legally I don't know where DG would stand if his employer came out and called him a rapist and whether he has grounds to take that further. 

I wasn't actually suggesting he used those words, I thought that was pretty obvious.

If he had simply apologised for the signing without talking about his time at Clyde or the fan reaction it would at least have looked like he understood the problem.

Firstly, I believe McGlynn’s interview was sincere. He’s a unique character and for us Raith fans that understand him, I believe we can at all tell that he means it. He’s taken ownership and accountability, something that upset most people about DG didn’t do for the victim. I mentioned before that he’s earned a lot if goodwill with the fans, and I think its just enough to save his job.
The decision for McGlynn to come out publicly before the board might be a clever move. Everyone wants the board out regardless and I’ll share my opinion shortly, but McGlynn loses credit if he waits until after them. Coming out first, was a ‘good PR play’.
It does frustrate me that there has been so much silence from the board. Whilst I appreciate that Raith TV aren’t currently there to do interviews, the press would be well up for a pop at the board. It makes me question whether they’d only feel comfortable answer pre-approved questions. I’ve said it many times and I’ll say it again, we need a clear out there with Sim the only one that can stay given his ownership. I have heard from a source that Tom Morgan isn’t taking any blame and in fact blames Val for blowing this out of proportion, claiming that “she’s a nightmare, barely contributes to the club and they’ve been wanting her out the club for years”.
Last the CEO… conflict of interest, requesting eviction of fans for nothing (ask the Stewards who can stand her already), lying to Val. Get her punted asap!

If he had simply apologised for the signing without talking about his time at Clyde or the fan reaction it would at least have looked like he understood the problem.

I disagree with that. He was willing to explain the rationale from his perspective for going ahead with signing Goodwillie - he was at Clyde as captain, we played against them, nobody really made a huge fuss* about it all, he was coaching disabled children in his free time - but I don’t think that should be conflated with the apology itself. Personally I think showing a willingness to explain why he got it so wrong rather than just saying ‘don’t know what we we were thinking about, sorry everyone’ is a lot more meaningful.

Direct quotes - “we got it wrong, we hold our hands up, we apologise enormously for the distress we’ve caused, we’ve obviously hurt a lot of people and we apologise to each and every one of them”. Obviously he could just be saying words to make it all go away, it can’t really be proven either way. But I’m not sure what else he can actually say?

*and just to be absolutely clear on the ‘not a huge fuss’ at Clyde thing, we’ve been over this ground enough. I’m obviously not saying there was no fuss, but it was broadly accepted in the football world.