The New Raith Rovers Thread

7 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

How does it not matter. We still need to support the team on the pitch and hope we can finish as high up the league. 

Surely that’s all the more reason why the board should be saying something.  Our support was down about 1/3 it’s normal numbers for the last home game. These people are obviously waiting to hear what the board intentions are and saying nothing isn’t going to convince any of these people to return. I appreciate they might not be able to comment on the specifics of Goodwillies contract but they really need to tell the punters something and offer some kind of olive branch to at least try and get some of them back.  

3 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Goodwillie would presumably pass a PVG anyway given that the only criminal record he has is for some assaults a long time ago.

You don't pass or fail a PVG. A PVG merely contains any spent or unspent current convictions. It can also contain additional non conviction information that the police or government bodies think relevant. Then it's over to the employer. 

6 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I think the idea of a "fit and proper person" test for every single signed player in Scottish football is one of these things that comes from a good place and sounds sensible on paper, but is totally unworkable. I can't see how it can be implemented in any sort of practical way.

I am concerned on that front too, however, something in that manner is likely to develop over time regardless. With the current ability to research online, it’s very unlikely that any player with a significant event can sneak under the radar anymore, at least in the professional game. Then it comes to what is adjudged “acceptable” or not.

Now, in various professional leagues there are classes and training in financial matters and other such details for new players, and some ongoing education for established players. If the SPFL/SFA were to start education of their players and place a standard behavioral clause in contracts, it would be a step forward. Simply having a contract section that establishes a fixed suspension term for various offenses would be a start. For adjudicating appeals and other items, a board established of a couple of retired players, a couple of management types and headed by a jurist would be a reasonable place to start as well.

Now some will ask if a term of XXX is sufficient for a player found guilty of, for instance, a domestic violence offense, or if that should result in suspension until reinstatement is approved…that’s a matter for consideration, and would depend greatly upon the design of the process and form of the appeal board/individual. The good news is “fit and proper person” tests have allowed consideration of personal growth, reform, actions and reparations.

52 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

There may well be good reason why we've not made any public utterances since last Thursday, but this limbo we are in is so frustrating. 

100% possible but at least saying that would be something, I know a statement about not giving statements is a bit strange but “unable to give any comment at this time due to ongoing (insert reason)” might at least stop some of the rumours of board attitudes about this and give everyone some idea that something is actually happening in the boardroom. 

Morton and Hamilton both have good chances of catching us. 

With our next two matches almost certain defeats the gap could be down to just a few points by then. 

I don't think we'll be any worse than 7th though but it's certainly going to cost us a few quid in prize money. 

Frustrating looking at that table and knowing an extra 4/5 points during the last 8 would've had us sitting pretty well. All the more frustrating given the amount of late goals that have been shipped as well, resulting in points being dropped. 

Arbroath are winning it and fair play to them. 

1 hour ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Still 9 points in front, but if McGlynn cant stop this slump they probably will catch us

To be fair despite everything going on both on and off the pitch we’ve only actually lost 5 games this season 6 if you count Celtic, and that’s with even being in our current 2 month slump.  Even without a new striker we’ve got the players capable of turning the slump around.  

Morton and Hamilton both have good chances of catching us. 
With our next two matches almost certain defeats the gap could be down to just a few points by then. 
I don't think we'll be any worse than 7th though but it's certainly going to cost us a few quid in prize money. 
If we finish below, Hamilton, irrespective of Goodwille McGlynn needs sacked.

On 08/02/2022 at 20:30, true fan said:

If people don’t want sex offenders at their club that’s fine by me, especially the more significant offences and where there is a lack of contrition, but val - all this about special standards for footballers, come on. It’s not teaching or the medical profession is it?

football players are not role models. It’s a phrase that’s always trotted out but it’s absolute nonsense. If I asked my son whether footballers were his role models he’d wet himself laughing.

it’s a great game to watch but there’s a lot to question about players morally - cynical play like injuring others, feigning injury, diving, screaming in referees faces with bulging neck veins, time wasting. Off the field it’s Betting, boozing, backhanders.

please let’s put this to rest once and for all - they are not role models

You can argue that footballers are not role models, which I would agree to a certain extent… but you can’t deny football clubs are a big part of communities 

Signing Goodwillie has not only tainted the club, but tainted the fans just by association 

So I don’t buy the excuse because footballer are not role models it means the clubs should get a pass on who they sign