The New Raith Rovers Thread

9 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

So the manager of your football team, had absolutely nothing to do with the signing of a football player? And after said football player was signed, rather than coming out with "Wasn't my signing" and absolving himself of blame, he's instead came across steadily worse over every presser? Nonsense. 

Bill Clark’s account of the thing, and it is only his account, was McGlynn (and I may paraphrase slightly here) “made the board aware of his availability” and nothing more, it was a “board decision” to sign Goodwillie and John and Paul “would have accepted” a decision by the board to have not signed Goodwillie. I sometimes think some people think Football Manager is a true reflection of how transfers actually happen. We really need McGlynn’s take on the whole matter  though but ultimately the buck stops with the board here, only they had the power to make or break the transfer.

6 minutes ago, Enigma said:

Bill Clark’s account of the thing, and it is only his account, was McGlynn (and I may paraphrase slightly here) “made the board aware of his availability” and nothing more, it was a “board decision” to sign Goodwillie and John and Paul “would have accepted” a decision by the board to have not signed Goodwillie. I sometimes think some people think Football Manager is a true reflection of how transfers actually happen. We really need McGlynn’s take on the whole matter  though but ultimately the buck stops with the board here, only they had the power to make or break the transfer.

Just don't see it tbh, you're saying that McGlynn just tells the board some players are available, and then rocks up in the morning and has them for training? 

18 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Just don't see it tbh, you're saying that McGlynn just tells the board some players are available, and then rocks up in the morning and has them for training? 

Do you believe that you have a better understanding of how this transfer transpired than our former chairman, a man who’s been involved in countless deals and was in the boardroom as this transfer was discussed and voted on?

It is the way football is going with the director of football/head coach set up ever more common.

I think there’s a real danger if people do go after McGlynn here that the board get away with this. McGlynn isn’t completely blameless, at the very least he had no objections to the signing, but it is the board’s call if the signing goes ahead, it’s the men who actually voted for the deal who bear the ultimate responsibility.

Edited by Enigma

24 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

I see Frank is doing well this evening. In fact, I’d say he’s doing even more poorly than you’d expect from someone who’s misspelled the second part of their own user name. 

You’re assuming he is named after our former manger and not the semi-obscure former PGA golfer.

5 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

I’m struggling to believe we’d have spent 50-65 grand on a striker that McGlynn wasn’t that fussed about, considering that kind of money would have probably got us any forward in the lower leagues. 

That may well be the case but Bill’s the closest guy to the actual facts of the matter who’s spoken about it and until a few more people (McGlynn himself, Sim etc.) actually open their gob his is probably the most accurate account of events we have.

Edited by Enigma

25 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

I don't think that's anywhere near as unusual as you'd think, at this level of football. 

I'd be pretty amazed if it's what happened here, mind you (albeit I haven't listened to Bill Clark's interview yet).

6 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

So just for clarity here, we think the board are suggesting signings for McGlynn rather than the other way about? 

If even merely suggesting signing Goodwillie is a sackable offence there’s probably a few Chamipship/League One mangers on a shoogly peg…

What we can assume:

- McGlynn suggested signing Goodwillie

What we know (according to Bill Clark)

- Clyde contacted Raith Rovers about Goodwillies

- Somebody at Raith Rovers (Sim?) negotiated a fee and contract with Clyde and Goodwillie

- Four members voted for this deal and two against

- Clark and Mill resigned from the board

From what we know I know who I deem to bare ultimate responsibility here.

Edited by Enigma

1 minute ago, Enigma said:

If even merely suggesting signing Goodwillie is a sackable offence there’s probably a few Chamipship/League One mangers on a shoogly peg…

Our manager was fine with it, our board was fine with it, and consequently, the club experienced its worst week in 139 years, and it’s set us back a long, long way. 

People should definitely be held accountable for that, it’s basic stuff. 

5 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

Our manager was fine with it, our board was fine with it, and consequently, the club experienced its worst week in 139 years, and it’s set us back a long, long way. 

People should definitely be held accountable for that, it’s basic stuff. 

I’m not saying McGlynn shouldn’t be held to account, I’m saying that ultimate responsibility (and who the focus of blame should be on) for the worst week in 139 years, from what we know, would seem to lie elsewhere.

Edited by Enigma

Just now, McGuigan1978 said:

I’m struggling to believe that John Sim, a man who stays in Asia for the majority of the year, had a bigger say or bigger opinion than John McGlynn, a man who lives and breathes Scottish football and has already worked with David Goodwillie in the past. 

We’re not going to agree here, clearly, but, from what I know, have heard and suspect John Sim has pretty much the biggest say of anybody who has a say when it comes to decision making at Raith Rovers FC.

1 minute ago, Enigma said:

We’re not going to agree here, clearly, but, from what I know, have heard and suspect John Sim has pretty much the biggest say of anybody who has a say when it comes to decision making at Raith Rovers FC.

That’s fine, and I’ve heard different from a few people in terms of this specific transfer, so I can see why we don’t see eye to eye here. We’ll agree to disagree though. 

17 minutes ago, Enigma said:

Before this transfer McGlynn was lauded as a tireless worker who poured every bit of himself into the job, from painting the stand to laying the cones there was nothing McGlynn wouldn't do to improve the club. 

Now people are saying he doesn't make the transfers and is just surprised when players rock upto training. The mental gymnastics are absolutely wild. 

26 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Before this transfer McGlynn was lauded as a tireless worker who poured every bit of himself into the job, from painting the stand to laying the cones there was nothing McGlynn wouldn't do to improve the club. 

Now people are saying he doesn't make the transfers and is just surprised when players rock upto training. The mental gymnastics are absolutely wild. 

Again, the view I’ve come to is driven by the account Bill Clark, a man who protested and resigned from the board over this transfer, gave. You can chose to believe him or not, but I pretty much trust what the man says. Maybe he has an axe to grind but it’s clear where he appropriates blame.

Edited by Enigma