The New Raith Rovers Thread

The strength and bravery of Denise Clair is simply incredible. 
She's been failed too many times by too many institutions and individuals. She deserves so much better. 
Everyone still involved in leadership at Raith Rovers should be on their knees begging her forgiveness, and finding ways to help make amends. 
The abuse she's copped on social media over the years is utterly depressing. All for exposing a worthless rapist.

3 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:
5 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:
The strength and bravery of Denise Clair is simply incredible. 
She's been failed too many times by too many institutions and individuals. She deserves so much better. 
Everyone still involved in leadership at Raith Rovers should be on their knees begging her forgiveness, and finding ways to help make amends. 

The abuse she's copped on social media over the years is utterly depressing. All for exposing a worthless rapist.

I know it's the internet and that it sort of enforces a certain distance by its nature, but the sheer lack of empathy and humanity is just really, really bleak. 

It's been touched upon already, but after the Rape Crisis Scotland fundraiser was retweeted by Nicola Sturgeon, some of the replies were mind-boggling. The mental gymnastics that some people will perform are absolutely staggering. 

These people walk among us. It's terrifying. 

She's spoken to the press more than any of our directors since we put the statement out. 

She's out in the papers calling out pretty much everyone and rightfully so, while there was a degree of outrage when he was at Clyde, it wasn't nearly as prominent as this transfer has generated. Meanwhile, we can't even tack on an apology to her in our statement to acknowledge this shitty incident will have forced her to consider a traumatic incident where she's been left as a forgotten figure. 

What a fucking farce. 

6 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:

I know it's the internet and that it sort of enforces a certain distance by its nature, but the sheer lack of empathy and humanity is just really, really bleak. 

It's been touched upon already, but after the Rape Crisis Scotland fundraiser was retweeted by Nicola Sturgeon, some of the replies were mind-boggling. The mental gymnastics that some people will perform are absolutely staggering. 

These people walk among us. It's terrifying. 

Did Sturgeon give a shit when she turned a blind eye to her mentors misdemeanours? Let's not mention the fact she asked Salmond to her house during an investigation but couldn't recollect what the discussion was.

2 minutes ago, pub car king said:

Will the club approach Denise/rape crisis in an attempt to better understand and genuinely make amends?

I sincerely doubt she'd want us to contact her. I think we need to be exceptionally tact if we're to go down that route. It would undoubtedly be seen as a publicity stunt right after most of our communication through this has been mealy-mouthed explanations about "our first consideration being the footballing side". At the moment, I wouldn't trust anything from the club to not make the situation even worse if we engage with her. 

The fans, particularly Martin Glass, has ensured that the overwhelming majority of our fanbase don't come across in the same light with the fundraiser to support Rape Crisis Scotland. If you read most reports on the matter, they'll comment that the fans are the only aspect to come out with any dignity from the Rovers side. 

Just now, Against The Machine said:

Well that's handy, because I'm not fucking selling it.

Believe what you like, I've got no inside track on anything that's happened. If I did, I wouldn't be holding back to protect this football club, not with what's gone on in the last week. 

This kind of whataboutery really has absolutely no place in this conversation, and it's exactly the kind of mental gymnastics I'm talking about. The matter at hand has absolutely nothing to do with Nicola Sturgeon's background or track record, and everything to do with David Goodwillie, Denise Clair and Raith Rovers. 

And as reluctant as I am to get dragged down this path, what's the logical conclusion of that argument anyway? Nicola Sturgeon didn't adequately deal with an abuser in her immediate circle, so... she shouldn't ever call out anyone who commits sexual violence, in the name of... consistency? Better to let Scottish society continue with its appalling attitude towards men committing sexual violence than be thought a hypocrite? 

I wonder what it is about women taking a stand against a rapist that makes so many men so uncomfortable? It's deeply troubling. 

1 minute ago, Against The Machine said:

Well that's handy, because I'm not fucking selling it.

Believe what you like, I've got no inside track on anything that's happened. If I did, I wouldn't be holding back to protect this football club, not with what's gone on in the last week. 

This kind of whataboutery really has absolutely no place in this conversation, and it's exactly the kind of mental gymnastics I'm talking about. The matter at hand has absolutely nothing to do with Nicola Sturgeon's background or track record, and everything to do with David Goodwillie, Denise Clair and Raith Rovers. 

And as reluctant as I am to get dragged down this path, what's the logical conclusion of that argument anyway? Nicola Sturgeon didn't adequately deal with an abuser in her immediate circle, so... she shouldn't ever call out anyone who commits sexual violence, in the name of... consistency? Better to let Scottish society continue with its appalling attitude towards men committing sexual violence than be thought a hypocrite? 

I wonder what it is about women taking a stand against a rapist that makes so many men so uncomfortable? It's deeply troubling. 

That's not the issue I'll find out who you are something doesn't sit right a guy who has so much inside information now suddenly knows  nothing! Bullshit

16 minutes ago, pub car king said:

Will the club approach Denise/rape crisis in an attempt to better understand and genuinely make amends?

There are certainly ways in which this could happen, if it's something that Denise Clair thinks would be beneficial, but if it does, I don't think we'd ever hear about it, which is probably for the best. 

1 minute ago, Frank conner said:

That's not the issue I'll find out who you are something doesn't sit right a guy who has so much inside information now suddenly knows  nothing! Bullshit

Haha! Okay Columbo, let me know how you get on. 

Regards, 

J̶o̶h̶n̶ ̶M̶c̶G̶l̶y̶ Anonymous Pie & Bovril User 

12 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:

Haha! Okay Columbo, let me know how you get on. 

Regards, 

J̶o̶h̶n̶ ̶M̶c̶G̶l̶y̶ Anonymous Pie & Bovril User 

I'm glad you think it's a joke I'll bet you or one of your creepy mates have been phoning the club office and threatening the staff anything that gives you  a hard on.

3 hours ago, keyser_soze said:

Grant, you always come across as one of the more reasoned posters from our rivals. To be fair there was an interview on local radio with Bill Clark before the game and he pretty much absolved John McG and Paul Smith of any wrong doing surrounding the transfer, he pointed the finger directly at Sim, Sinton, McDonald and Morgan. 

So the manager of your football team, had absolutely nothing to do with the signing of a football player? And after said football player was signed, rather than coming out with "Wasn't my signing" and absolving himself of blame, he's instead came across steadily worse over every presser? Nonsense. 

3 hours ago, stevoraith said:

See if I never hear the term ‘rape apologist’ again it’ll be too soon.

Not having one as your manager would be a solid start, while McGlynn is employed by Raith Rovers there can be absolutely no complaints if it gets brought up week in, week out. 

22 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:

Yep, couldn't agree more! 

Frank going Liam Neeson was an unexpected twist.

Anyway, as others have already said, I can only commend Denise Claire for speaking out. This past week can be unimaginably difficult for her being forced to relive the trauma with the story being put into the spotlight. It's disgusting the club haven't even acknowledged her throughout this. Hopefully her speaking out will make some of the idiots who think it's edgy to support a rapist realise an actual person has been immeasurably effected by his actions.

She is absolutely spot on with what she has said as well. Everyone involved in allowing Goodwillie to continue to play professional football should be ashamed.

The clubs recent silence since the last statement is also a sham. Even if legal advice has said they shouldn't speak out yet, they should make that known that something will eventually come. Silence in these times is a horrific look.

Edited by Ex Machina