The New Raith Rovers Thread

5 hours ago, Ebanda's Handyman Services said:

For the supporters who still see a glimmer of hope for McGlynn...

What type of statement content from the manager would make you content for him to carry on? 

"I will walk down the High Street naked and be whipped by the locals in Rovers tops"

14 hours ago, Specky Ginger said:

I'd imagine the most likely reason for Goodwillie not admitting what he did is that it would effectively reopen the criminal case against him and he'd be looking at several years in the shovel.

Yeah pretty much, but that stops him ever being able to be a rehabilitated individual. He hasn't paid for his crimes, he needs to suffer consequences. Real consequences, not having his contract at Raith torn up whilst still getting paid.

1 hour ago, grumswall said:

Are we talking fat boy decent, or slim boy decent?

On bene, that guy struggles to formulate a sentance with a camera on him. It's no surprise he just throws out such shite in an interview. Iv no idea why he's club captain in the first place.

:lol:

It's Large, I've only ever seen Small or Xxl versions.

I actually bought a repro version that randomly came up on ebay that someone made and its superb, great quality and a modern fit.

6 hours ago, Against The Machine said:

Unless there's an incredibly comprehensive statement or interview coming from McGlynn that's somehow been held up by legal advice or something, that's him done for me. 

Too much has happened to just "focus on the football". I appreciate that that's his job for now, but he can't continue in it if he's not willing to engage and learn from the grave mistakes of the last few days. 

If someone was being generous they  might say he wants to get this match today out of the way first but if he doesn't come out with something by the beginning of next week it really is inexcusable. Burying his head in the sand here is not an option if he wants to come out of this with even a shred of respect. 

7 hours ago, Ebanda's Handyman Services said:

Not a great start, is it!

I'm genuinely intrigued as to what type of statement would appease people. 

I'm really not sure now to be honest.

This time yesterday I would have said he needed to admit that he was blinkered by football reasons and didn't consider the bigger implications.  Apologise to everyone connected to the club, but especially the women connected to the club who felt that the signing meant that treating women in the way DG did was acceptable by Raith Rovers, or could be ignored because of other talents he possessed.

There would have to be no 'buts', no attempts to justify it, just a humble admission of his lack of understanding of the impact it would have on people connected with the club and DGs victim.  Perhaps a pledge that he and the players would attend some sort of education around rape/abuse/domestic violence.

Now?  Maybe I'm cycling through some sort of grieving process, I don't know, but I'm not so sure that would even cut it now.

I'm probably coming round to the fact that he can't save himself now and he needs to go.  He really needed to address things head on and release some sort of statement or interview quickly.  By giving a football related interview and insisting he wouldn't talk about DG he's lost more goodwill.

If there's no statement from him regarding it all by Monday night he's lost his chance from me I think.

Lots of talk about McGlynn's position since I last posted. I'm conflicted - I understand those willing to give him chance to make amends, and I'm not criticising anyone for it. But as someone commented somewhere in the thread, I think fans of other clubs - ones whose opinions I respect - are seeing this more clearly. It's gutting for me to say it but I can't really avoid the conclusion that he needs to be one of the casualties.

Lots of talk about McGlynn's position since I last posted. I'm conflicted - I understand those willing to give him chance to make amends, and I'm not criticising anyone for it. But as someone commented somewhere in the thread, I think fans of other clubs - ones whose opinions I respect - are seeing this more clearly. It's gutting for me to say it but I can't really avoid the conclusion that he needs to be one of the casualties.
I'm with you on this. Unfortunately we just need to take a step back, remove the rose tinted glasses and think about JMG's reputation going forward. This incident will stick to him like it's going to stick to the club for the foreseeable and to give all parties the best chance to move on in the best possible way, a clean break is needed.

It's a real shame because of everything he's done for the club, picking us up out of the gutter and making us respectable again. The thing is, the DG incident has torn that respectability to shreds. This is his legacy now. I hope it doesn't prove to be a barrier to him getting a gig in football somewhere else. Maybe he could go back to scouting for one of the bigger clubs like he did for Celtic.

McGlynn refusing to answer questions on the signing isn’t acceptable. I’ll slightly give him the benefit of the doubt on the flimsy excuse that he’s a match to concentrate on, but once that is over today, he has to address it. A full sit down interview expressing his regret, admitting that he was blinkered by football and apologising profusely for that. He also needs to apologise to the victim. Anything short of that won’t cut it. Have a real fear the he and the rest of the club think they’ve done their apology and this will just blow over. It won’t.

I’m going back today mostly because DG was my red line. He’s gone or at least won’t be there. I’m not happy, but I’m going back because I refuse to let these fuckwits steal my club from me.  This our our club, not theirs and I’ll do whatever it takes to get them out. 

3 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

McGlynn refusing to answer questions on the signing isn’t acceptable. I’ll slightly give him the benefit of the doubt on the flimsy excuse that he’s a match to concentrate on, but once that is over today, he has to address it. A full sit down interview expressing his regret, admitting that he was blinkered by football and apologising profusely for that. He also needs to apologise to the victim. Anything short of that won’t cut it. Have a real fear the he and the rest of the club think they’ve done their apology and this will just blow over. It won’t.

I’m going back today mostly because DG was my red line. He’s gone or at least won’t be there. I’m not happy, but I’m going back because I refuse to let these fuckwits steal my club from me.  This our our club, not theirs and I’ll do whatever it takes to get them out. 

Agree with this. This cannot be the end of the matter. 

Very disappointed that McGlynn couldn't at least say something along the lines of "At the moment I'm focusing on the Hamilton match but I will be addressing the matter once this match is out of the way". 

The fact that it is OUR club is the bit that is driving my bitterness over the whole situation. 

The choice to sign Goodwillie has pissed all over the sheer amount of time, money and heart and soul that we've all put in to enable the club to become the excellent family/community club we had prior. 

2 minutes ago, Ebanda's Handyman Services said:

The fact that it is OUR club is the bit that is driving my bitterness over the whole situation. 

The choice to sign Goodwillie has pissed all over the sheer amount of time, money and heart and soul that we've all put in to enable the club to become the excellent family/community club we had prior. 

I still have head shaking moments where I remember that this was completely avoidable. That they knew what it meant morally and knew that it would create a shitshow, but still went ‘Aye, let’s do it.’ 

Easily a far worse decision than Anelka. At least he gave us money to sell the soul of the club,. This time we paid £60k for the privilege. Mind boggling.

4 hours ago, Highlandmagyar Tier 3 said:

It's a football board's get out. Our chairman Jacqui Low( Yuck!) said the same of Gary Caldwell. 

It's also a case of stating the obvious. Every single manager who's ever interviewed for a job and then subsequently been given it has, by definition, "interviewed well".