The New Raith Rovers Thread

6 minutes ago, Terry_Tibbs said:

Since when do Dunfermline Athletic fans want what's best for Raith Rovers?

Raith's loss would be another clubs gain.

Since we signed a rapist wee fud, the last few days fans from Dunfermline, Falkirk and East Fife along with clubs across the country have shown support over this awful situation.  I don’t think it’s very fair to insinuate they’re suddenly got ulterior motives since yesterday.  

5 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

No it wouldn't. Do you think if Rovers suddenly disappeared they'd all flock to East End Park? Un-fucking-likely. When we were minutes away from oblivion, I was ready to turn my back on Scottish football because nothing would get my heart strings pulling other than my home town club that I have grown to love from a young age. I certainly wasn't going to turn up every week at Starks, or Pittodrie, as I stayed in Aberdeen at the time. 

EDIT- and also the fact that I want to see Dunfermline play Raith. I want to see us play Falkirk. This isn't a race to be the only club out there, it's a race to be the best and to be that, you NEED competition. 

I was referring to Raith possibly getting rid of John McGlynn and another team picking him up.

I can't see Raith folding over this debacle.

3 hours ago, Jilted John said:

So did the managers of Falkirk, Partick and Livingston. Should they all be sacked for wanting to sign him too?

I went to Broadwood in our league one seasons. Should I be banned for contributing to his wages? Where does it all stop?

Just noticed this. When did the Thistle manager want to sign Goodwillie? 

"Sizeable six-figure sum". 
I would reckon about £150k, but that's total guesswork. Imagine doing this to yourselves, eh? 
That's now two strikers we have on the books that will never play for the club again and are 'there' until we pay them off. One because he's a rapist and another that's been punted to Montrose on loan because his body isn't strong enough for full time football. 
Keatings on a 2 year as well?

I don’t have many hard-set principles, but I do have values, such as loyalty, courage and compassion. I feel a certain loyalty to McGlynn for what he has done for the club in his two spells. As a person who shows compassion I naturally want to protect John McGlynn and offer him forgiveness. 

McGlynn has made an error of judgement. The current result of that error of judgment has been a loss of reputation for the club, resignations of key staff and volunteers, and damage to the clubs financial state. If people want McGlynn to leave that’s their prerogative but I don’t want to actively hound him out. 

I do not have any such feelings towards our Board or Chief Executive. They are supposed to provide direction and governance and effectively run the business. They are the checks and balances that should never have allowed this. I don’t want them shielded while McGlynn takes all the flak. Yes, McGlynn as the football man must have put forward Goodwillie as a signing target, but they approved it. From some angles I can see why McGlynn did it. Loyalty to his former player, already playing for Clyde, top scorer…the footballing reasons. But someone needs to be there to say “no” because of the non-footballing reasons. That never happened. Of rather it did happen, but only 2 out of 6 agreed to say “no”.

Maybe the folk on here making all the perfectly valid reasons why McGlynn should go are doing that important role of telling the few who want forgiveness “no”. I’m not sure. Either way, it doesn’t seem right that the current Board and Chief Exec have anything to do with sacking McGlynn. So unless he resigns, then I am content that he sees out his contract. After that, I’ll wait and see what the lay of the land is and who is running the club at that time.

Edited by Scary Bear

1 minute ago, Michael W said:

I would reckon about £150k, but that's total guesswork. Imagine doing this to yourselves, eh? 

That's now two strikers we have on the books that will never play for the club again and are 'there' until we pay them off. One because he's a rapist and another that's been punted to Montrose on loan because his body isn't strong enough for full time football. 

Shit! And with less income coming in from sponsors/attendance/hospitality that’s really going to hurt. 

tThe board and management should do the right thing and walk. Take the rape sympathiser Benidictus with them as well. 

8 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

What’s the rumoured pay off then lads? 

We will have to pay off his whole contract I don't think there can be any doubt about that. 2.5 years at a rumoured 1.2k a week as well as the 60k transfer fee and any signing on fee. When you add all this up he is costing us more than double what we sold our best prospect for. Even if DG wasn't a rapist this would be a pathetic piece of business. 

3 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:
5 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Keatings on a 2 year as well?

Unfortunately so. 

A disaster of a signing. Scored about a quarter of his career goals against us, but then we sign him and he's done absolutely nothing. 

2 hours ago, baba douche said:

Im a Thistle supporter, and the older posters might remember when our owner and chairman had to step down in rhe nineties over a couple of distasteful comments about a possible takeover by an Asian businessman.

I don't think he was even intentionally racist, but the outcry meant he moved into the far background, even though he still owned the club.

What your owner has done is far, far worse. He should probably look to do the same thing, as - unless someone can buy him out, and he actually WANTS to sell - its probably the only way to even possibly dampen things down.

So far into the background that he ended up as President of the then Scottish Football League. 

2 hours ago, Jilted John said:

I’d like to see what Val plans on doing next. She was instrumental in getting this the media coverage it needed.

She cares a lot about the club and it’s on its knees at the moment. Will she be as proactive in helping us back up? I certainly hope she will play a part.

She'll go back and kick the CEO's pie, in the most diversity conscious way, for lying to he face.

10 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Was it a 2 and a half year deal? 

Something like that. I have no idea of what possible break clauses or anything else is in there.

I've heard everything from an apocalyptic 300k to an altogether to good to be true rumour of his signing on fee+3 months wages all out of Sim's pocket - and everything in between.

4 minutes ago, RR #1 said:

We will have to pay off his whole contract I don't think there can be any doubt about that. 2.5 years at a rumoured 1.2k a week as well as the 60k transfer fee and any signing on fee. When you add all this up he is costing us more than double what we sold our best prospect for. Even if DG wasn't a rapist this would be a pathetic piece of business. 

While I’m not part of the what about Clyde brigade of point scoring, if they’ve any decency they’ll consider donating the transfer fee to a charity for rape victims or similar. Shouldn’t be profiting from Goodwillie. 

Edited by San Starko Rover

While I’m not part of the what about Clyde brigade of point scoring, if they’ve any decency they’ll consider donating the transfer fee to a charity for rape victims or similar. Shouldn’t be profiting from Goodwillie. 
That crossed my mind yesterday as well but think we all know that won't happen.

13 minutes ago, Terry_Tibbs said:

Since when do Dunfermline Athletic fans want what's best for Raith Rovers?

Raith's loss would be another clubs gain.

Earlier in the season we released Watson, at the time he was a starting and fairly good player for us, it was certainly our loss and has been another clubs gain, it was though absolutely necessary. 

There absolutely not directly comparable in that Watson didn't nearly have as much goodwill in the bank, however his transgression is absolutely miles away from the severity of what McGlynn has done. 

This isn't point scoring between rivals, I just don't get the thinking of Raith fans that if McGlynn comes out and says sorry then he should be able to stay, at best if he says sorry it might preserve his legacy, but either way he needs to go. If he stays, then quite rightly the events of the past week will linger while he stays. 

Earlier in the season we released Watson, at the time he was a starting and fairly good player for us, it was certainly our loss and has been another clubs gain, it was though absolutely necessary. 
There absolutely not directly comparable in that Watson didn't nearly have as much goodwill in the bank, however his transgression is absolutely miles away from the severity of what McGlynn has done. 

This isn't point scoring between rivals, I just don't get the thinking of Raith fans that if McGlynn comes out and says sorry then he should be able to stay, at best if he says sorry it might preserve his legacy, but either way he needs to go. If he stays, then quite rightly the events of the past week will linger while he stays. 
That's why most are saying it depends very much on both what he says and what the club's next move is. I haven't seen anyone say he should stay if he simply says sorry.

1 hour ago, Hawk89 said:

Hypothetically speaking, if Sim was to put the for sale sign up do you think he would just take the first offer? Or do you think you'd be in a stagnant position like we were with Lachlan Cameron where he effectively kept the club alive but couldn't contribute anything further (in Sim's case wouldn't be willing to), whilst chasing off roasters like the restore-a-roof guy (Hugh Clarke) until the right person was found?

Worth noting my understanding was that Lachlan and the directors fronted soft loans but wrote them off when David Smith took control. 

Mr Sim said in an interview on K107 recently that he receives calls every 3/4 weeks from all over the world asking if he's interested in selling, he has until now turned everyone down.

6 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

Mr Sim said in an interview on K107 recently that he receives calls every 3/4 weeks from all over the world asking if he's interested in selling, he has until now turned everyone down.

I’ll need to stop those prank calls. I’m just bored really.