The New Raith Rovers Thread

3 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Isn't 'McGlynn deserves some leeway because he's been good for our club' not too far away from 'signed for footballing reasons first and foremost'?

I don't think it applies, no. I know what you mean, and certainly two days ago I was as angry with McGlynn as I was with anyone, but the context of the good work he's done is relevant, particularly when it comes to his character, which is really what's in question here. 

As I detailed in yet another crushingly long post there, I think there's a path back for McGlynn, but it's a very specific one. This isn't "you won us a league so you get a free pass", this is "in light of more a decade's stellar service, you'll be afforded a chance to make things right". 

I left this part out of the last post because I think it probably does sail a bit close to what you're suggesting, but I'll try to word it as best I can. There's some small mitigation for McGlynn based on his remit, which is essentially to put out a winning football team. If he thinks Goodwillie is the best striker available, "for football reasons", that's probably a valid opinion. But the CEO and the owner have a remit to take into account wider factors, like financial and reputational damage (and that's just for run of the mill stuff, before you get into the clear ethical and moral dilemmas thrown up in this case).

Now as I say, I don't think that particularly stands up here, but others might. For me, it'd be a bit like throwing a flaming rag around with your flatmate and then pointing the finger at him when the building burns down, because he's a firefighter. Yes, it's his job to stop fires, but the risk should've been blatantly obvious to you too. 

3 minutes ago, pub car king said:

Regardless of the moral position and everything else. The fact is he has a contract and the club as employers have a duty of care towards him. 

This could get very messy because I'd imagine he has all kinds of promotion bonuses, appearances and goal bonuses. 

Were not promoted, even if he did play theres no guarantee he'd score many goals that would get us promoted, hell we cant even keep them out at the other end 

He must also have been aware that there was bad feelings about his prospective signing back in December when the story about it broke, yet still chose to sign , of course he may well have put pen to paper back in December and it was left until shortly before the deadline ended that it was announced, tht is just conjecture on my part, but makes you wonder though

3 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:

I don't think it applies, no. I know what you mean, and certainly two days ago I was as angry with McGlynn as I was with anyone, but the context of the good work he's done is relevant, particularly when it comes to his character, which is really what's in question here. 

As I detailed in yet another crushingly long post there, I think there's a path back for McGlynn, but it's a very specific one. This isn't "you won us a league so you get a free pass", this is "in light of more a decade's stellar service, you'll be afforded a chance to make things right". 

I left this part out of the last post because I think it probably does sail a bit close to what you're suggesting, but I'll try to word it as best I can. There's some small mitigation for McGlynn based on his remit, which is essentially to put out a winning football team. If he thinks Goodwillie is the best striker available, "for football reasons", that's probably a valid opinion. But the CEO and the owner have a remit to take into account wider factors, like financial and reputational damage (and that's just for run of the mill stuff, before you get into the clear ethical and moral dilemmas thrown up in this case).

Now as I say, I don't think that particularly stands up here, but others might. For me, it'd be a bit like throwing a flaming rag around with your flatmate and then pointing the finger at him when the building burns down, because he's a firefighter. Yes, it's his job to stop fires, but the risk should've been blatantly obvious to you too. 

How does he put this right though? What can he meaningfully do in that regard?

Edited by DA Baracus

3 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

Disappointed of the sentiment that a few of you feel mcglynn can continue. Poor form.

Lots don’t seem to want to grasp the seriousness here.  Every warning was ignored by the people involved and as I said above the damage to the club both financially and to our standing is unforgivable. For me I’d love an apology to be enough but unfortunately it isn’t and the only way forward is to clear everyone involved, it’s the only way we can move on from this. 

I really hope the board don’t think that their statement this morning fixed anything  

From what I can gather, four board members and the manager thought that signing a rapist was a good idea. With that being the case, I’d like them all to leave the club 

I really couldn’t care less what McGlynn has done previously, championing Goodwillie is a hideous route to go down, and he should leave. 

The Board is also a disgrace, and the fact they’re hiding behind anonymous statements says a lot about them. Pathetic. 

This morning was a start, but nothing more than that. 

1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

How does he put this right though? What can he meaningfully do in that regard?

I'd refer you to my earlier diatribe about an apology interview with an appropriate plan of action moving forward.

It's going to feel inadequate, but that's probably the nature of the beast now. He's not going to be sacked, because everyone more senior than him who's still in situ backed the deal (or negotiated it) too. 

I'd still like to see the resignations or terminations of the board members and CEO, incidentally. I think given their remit, their positions are untenable. Sim obviously has to remain the owner, there's no alternative, but he shouldn't be chairman any longer. 

I think removing a couple of the directors and shaking up the board is my first priority. I am not sure on McGlynn - I think he deserves to walk as the chances that he didn't moot Goodwillie first seem slim to none. Perhaps I am letting sentiment get in the way here, since most of my ire is directed at the board. Also, how does McGlynn feel about our £50k signing being frozen out? If he wanted him I imagine he might be a bit pissed off. 

Enjoyed the Twitter space tonight. Sometimes a problem that's right in front of you isn't so apparent, but we have a really big governance problem. John Sim, in addition to being the majority shareholder, is also our chairman - this is appalling corporate governance and it has to be resolved ASAP. He has far too tight a grip over the club and I feel that this ultimately restricts the board's objectivity. It was also pointed out that Sim's level of ownership breaches the club charter. 

Karen McCartney needs to go. She had no vote in the decision, but she lied to our main sponsor which is unacceptable; we can't have a CEO that does things like that. I also didn't realise she is Paul Smith's wife until this week, which is problematic to say the least as she has input into whether or not he remains in employment, even if she cannot vote. It's a clear conflict of interest. Was she sent by McGlynn/Smith to cajole the board into signing Goodwillie? Also if our 7 game run without a win extends to, say, 12 games, the fans will be after blood - can she remain objective?

We are not in a good position in terms of it being easy to gain influence in the club through a buy out. We can forget buying Sim out as it's too much money, but we need to reduce the iron grip he has on the club in the hope of bringing in some fresh ideas and pwrhaps challenging the status quo a bit more than it has been. The process will however be a gradual one. 

I have no trust in the board - they have utterly decimated the club's reputation and have caused an unknown amount of damage with the community. Will the volunteers we rely upon return? What about sponsors - are more of them wavering, or will decisions be reversed? Tag Games are gone; They are less angry than they were yesterday, but the trust is broken. Will the ladies team stay now? Will the two directors that acted inine with their morals be invited back? And thrn we have the volume of publicity that they brought upon us with their decision. Seesh. We have been humiliated and condemned the world over. 

The directors in their statement addressing this shambles said that the decision was a purely footballing one. Well, duh, why the f**k else would we sign a player? Clearly they thought they were acting in the club's Interest, which as directors they are supposed to, through - in their eyes - increasing the chances of success. They forgot about their fiduciary duties as directors, ti act in the best interests of the company. This does not end with on-field success; it is about safeguarding the company's future. 

Their actions caused sponsors to quit (in one case knowing full well this would happen), had fans pulling donations out the supporter's fund and had hospitality bookings cancelled. Oh, and we paid £50k for the privilege of the signing and will be paying Goodwillie six-figures to do nothing for us. They have breached their fiduciary duty whilst pursuing success at any cost. They have failed and change is needed. 

Edited by Michael W

56 minutes ago, Starkiplier said:

Obviously emotions are still very raw given what’s unfolded at the club this week, so I can understand that todays statement hasn’t done much to calm the fury of some fans. However I don’t think that sacking the manger is the answer.

Nobody has done more for Raith Rovers over the last 20 years than John McGlynn, on or off the pitch. He turned us from a shambolic outfit rotting away in League 1 into a team challenging for promotion to the top tier. Twice. Even in the years he wasn’t employed by us, he was at every club event, fundraiser or testimonial he could manage. He was out in the community delivering supplies to the vulnerable during lockdown, and again at Christmas. He lives, sleeps and breathes this football club. He has dedicated his life to Raith Rovers and always given everything he could to try and bring us success.

In signing Goodwillie, he has made a monumental error of judgement. Perhaps he thought that because the player had been at Clyde for 5 years without causing too much of a stir that this wouldn’t go down too badly and people would see it the same we he did, as a good signing who would score goals. I don’t believe for a second that McGlynn would have signed the player if he understood the hurt and the outrage that it would cause, that’s obviously extremely naive on his part and I’m sure in hindsight he deeply regrets ever even considering it. However it’s not up to me to make his excuses for him and it would be good to hear him come out and say as much in an interview before Saturday.

The man is in our club’s hall of fame and there’s barely anyone more deserving of that status than him. I can’t control what other fans do but the thought of us hounding out one of our greatest ever managers over a mistake, even one as catastrophic as this one, is crazy. Cancel culture is rife in our society and people seem to believe that the only way to right a wrong is for a man to lose his livelihood and disappear from the public eye. I completely disagree with that and I think that if anyone has earned a chance to put this right it’s John McGlynn.

All he was trying to do was all he has ever tried to do during both his spells in Kirkcaldy, and that is bring success to the football club we all love.

That comment is so ironic it’s incredible. 

I dont want to wade in on Management, hes out if contract in the summer, but there might not be a viable club for next season with no finances coming in and with this board probably still at the helm whos gonna fill the void of those who have withdrawn, Johns blinkered view may have just heralded the clubs downfall, and thats sadly what he will be remembered for above everything else he achieved 

Edited by SirJimmyofNic

3 minutes ago, Michael W said:

I think removing a couple of rhe directors and shaking up the board is my first priority. I am not sure on McGlynn - I think he deserves to walk as the chances that he didn't moot Goodwillie first seem slim to none. Perhaps I am letting sentiment get in the way here, since most of my ire is directed at the board. Also, how does McGlynn feel about our £50k signing being frozen out? If he wanted him I imagine he might be a bit pissed off. 

Enjoyed the Twitter space tonight. Sometimes a problem that's right in front of you isn't so apparent, but we have a really big governance problem. John Sim, in addition to being the majority shareholder, is also our chairman - this is appalling corporate governance and it has to be resolved ASAP. He has far too tight a grip over the club and I feel that this ultimately restricts the board's objectivity. It was also pointed out that Sim's level of ownership breaches the club charter. 

Karen McCartney needs to go. She had no vote in the decision, but she lied to our main sponsor which is unacceptable; we can't have a CEO that does things like that. I also didn't realise she is Paul Smith's wife until this week, which is problematic to say the least as she has input into whether or not he remains in employment, even if she cannot vote. It's a clear conflict of interest. Was she sent by McGlynn/Smith to cajole the board into signing Goodwillie? Also if our 7 game run without a win extends to, say, 12 games, the fans will be after blood - can she remain objective?

We are not in a good position in terms of it being easy to gain influence in the club through a buy out. We can forget buying Sim out as it's too much money, but we need to reduce the iron grip he has on the club in the hope of bringing in some fresh ideas and pwrhaps challenging the status quo a bit more than it has been. The process will however be a gradual one. 

I have no trust in the board - they have utterly decimated the club's reputation and have caused an unknown amount of damage with the community. Will the volunteers we rely upon return? What about sponsors - are more of them wavering, or will decisions be reversed? Tag Games are gone; They are less angry than they were yesterday, but the trust is broken. Will the ladies team stay now? Will the two directors that acted inine with their morals be invited back? And thrn we have the volume of publicity that they brought upon us with their decision. Seesh. We have been humiliated and condemned the world over. 

The directors in their statement addressing this shambles said that the decision was a purely footballing one. Well, duh, why the f**k else would we sign a player? Clearly they thought they were acting in the club's Interest, which as directors they are supposed to, through - in their eyes - increasing the chances of success. They forgot about their fiduciary duties as directors, ti act in the best interests of the company. This does not end with on-field success; it is about safeguarding the company's future. 

Their actions caused sponsors to quit (in one case knowing full well this would happen), had fans pulling donations out the supporter's fund and had hospitality bookings cancelled. Oh, and we paid £50k for the privilege of the signing and will be paying Goodwillie six-figures to do nothing for us. They have breached their fiduciary duty whilst pursuing success at any cost. They have failed and change is needed. 

Very good post. Thought you spoke very, very well on the show, too. 

Prior to requesting Goodwillie, I'd have had McGlynn up there with Nicholl. 

It appears that he is every bit as culpable as the four board members who sanctioned the signing though and has to go because of that. 

This is a f**k up of monumental proportions that the club will take years to recover from and trust in the above mentioned is shot to bits.