The New Raith Rovers Thread

Guest Wind Chime Jimmy

When Goodwillie is punted then surely the Board members who employed him, released that stupid statement and basically told their supporters to f*ck off must then also f*ck off.

I'm a Pars fan but even I'm angry at the treatment of the fans over this. It's been like a bad soap opera that I wish I hadn't watched.

3 minutes ago, DundeeUnited9999 said:

going to have to pay DG thru the nose to get rid, 200-300K ? he will go back to Clyde a rich man

I think he's likely to see out his Raith contract in the garden...

This very unfortunate episode is something that we all bitterly regret and we are now wholly committed to making things right. I can therefore confirm that, following a meeting of the Raith Rovers board, the player will not be selected by Raith Rovers and we will enter into discussions with the player regarding his contractual position.

Edited by btb

5 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Nah I’m not having that. They’ve backed down due to the reaction of the fans and because they’ve realised they can’t operate with the sponsors and volunteers that have quit. Nothing to do with them realising what they did was wrong and I hope the club aren’t let off easily here.

They made a mistake (and I know it's a pretty big one).  Seems like they now realise that.  You have to give them the chance to try and put it right and learn from it.

Goodwillie being punted is surely what everyone that is up in arms wanted.  It's not fixed everything but you have to start somewhere.

Clyde will take him back without a shadow of a doubt. He’s been there for five years with no harm done and I highly doubt any of their fans/sponsors/board who have backed him are going to have a eureka moment given what’s happened this week.

Congrats to everyone who protested from Raith. I hope that you are all able to go back and support your team from this weekend, even if the damage is not fully healed for some time. 

I have no idea how you would get rid of Sim completely from the club the way its structured tbh, so it looks like he will be there medium to long term. After the payoff to DG(and the loss of income this might have caused) I cant see the club forking out to payoff the management team either.

19 minutes ago, FBadgers said:

As i see it, the next step if the board and players wont listen or budge is to hit them where it hurts...financially.

Get the celtic fans to boycott the cup tie, maybe they can make one off donations to cover their own club, and this will badly knock the income the club gets. I bet the board are counting on that money to pay Goodwillie, or maybe get rid of him. 

Maybe even boycott or message premier sports to stop the broadcast. That will be the only way to guarantee a reaction.

And if fans worry about long term finances of the club, the cup money is a bonus that wouldn't be budgeted for. So no worries there.

Clyde have already played Celtic Colts this season , there were no issues , and Goodwillie scored in the match. St Mirren have sent various players on loan to Clyde over the last few seasons , mainly young forwards , who played alongside and learned from Goodwillie. Danny Lennon made him club captain , with no  consequences. As I said before , I woudn't want him at my club , but the above and the likes ,  are a complete overreaction .

1 minute ago, Left Back said:

They made a mistake (and I know it's a pretty big one).  Seems like they now realise that.  You have to give them the chance to try and put it right and learn from it.

Goodwillie being punted is surely what everyone that is up in arms wanted.  It's not fixed everything but you have to start somewhere.

Exactly. One step at a time. It's a good start and events over the coming days and weeks will tell us more about how far they are willing to go to fix this mess.

1 minute ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Since his desire for a move seemed motivated by one last payday I doubt he'll mind.

Hopefully it gets dragged out over a wrongful termination or breach of contract. That way another set of lawyers get the money and he's left out of pocket again.

I wonder if there's any way legally for the inevitable payoff to be made but to go to his victim - arrest it at source so it doesn't go to him - as by all accounts he still hasn't paid the compo as per the judgement.

If possible, it might claw back some of the reputational damage the club has done to itself in the last few days by taking an AK47 to its foot.

1 minute ago, Left Back said:

Manager and the 4 directors need to go and I'd hope that those withdrawing sponsorship insist that that's the bare minimum requirent for them returning to the club.

1 minute ago, Fifes Elite Force said:

I have no idea how you would get rid of Sim completely from the club the way its structured tbh, so it looks like he will be there medium to long term. After the payoff to DG(and the loss of income this might have caused) I cant see the club forking out to payoff the management team either.

The management team are out of contract in the summer. I'll be astonished if they are here beyond that date.

Edited by Ro Sham Bo

2 minutes ago, Fifes Elite Force said:

Management team are out of contract in the Summer anyway. Might be a nice easy way of easing them out, alongside Karen mcCartney who is unlikly to hang around once we punt her husband.

21 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

It feel like we’ve just scored a goal!

It still won’t be good enough for some. I’d rather he also decided to rip up the contracts of JMc and Smudger for sanctioning this signing. I’ve also sent a message to Alex Penman via Facebook to help get rid of Sim

In all seriousness, this a very small but significant step at the same time. I suppose the worry is that the board will think that’s them off the hook, staff, volunteers, sponsors and fans will just saunter back in as if nothing happened, and everything will be back to normal in the morning a la Shaun of the Dead.

The conversation needs to still keep happening. It will continue on this forum, obviously, but this conversation needs to continue on Twitter, in the papers and on the news. Why did they think this was acceptable? Why did they double down after 24 hours of backlash and openly invite him to the Rovers family? Why were they willing to accept and prioritise a man who has been ruled to be a rapist in a court of law at the ahead of people who have dedicated their entire lives to this football club?

We need to keep having the conversation that considers women’s safety. The board need to acknowledge that they sent out an abhorrent message over the last 3 days that they valued half a dozen goals more than their values of integrity, equality, safety and transparency. The people who sanctioned this transfer (and Tuesday’s statement) need to be held to account, that is that they should no longer be employed by the club.

Congratulations to all connected with Raith Rovers who have shown the power that working fans have over arrogant c***s in a boardroom.

1 minute ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Manager and the 4 directors need to go and I'd hope that those withdrawing sponsorship insist that that's the bare minimum requirent for them returning to the club.

I would hope for something more than that.  Maybe some kind of player education thing about behaviour/consent, across Scottish football but driven by Raith.  Punting the board/manager is a punishment that does nothing to try and prevent such things happening again.

Heres a question actually. If the club decide not to pay him off and he sits for 2 and a half years taking a wage without playing would fans be happy going to the games and paying his wages until the end of his contract? I suppose the fans money is going to be used regardless tbf