The New Raith Rovers Thread

14 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

I can't see haw anyone can roll out the 'rehabilitated' bollocks.

He has never went through any form of rehabilitation at all.

Once an Arab, always an Arab.

I don't really think this is the place for that nonsense.

2 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:

There are too many people who are choosing to be wilfully ignorant, and use the obfuscation in this case around criminal courts and civil courts to turn a blind eye. 

It's quite simple. If David Goodwillie (or any other footballer) sent a tweet that said "I believe a black person's life is worth less than a white person's life" or "I deny that the holocaust happened", he'd never play football again. It'd be clear cut. 

For reasons that are deeply ingrained in society, and probably to a greater degree in the retrograde world of football, violence against women isn't treated the same way. People don't condone it, generally, but they look to excuse it. They're prepared to hear "the other side of the story". And worse than that, they're prepared to imagine a theoretical other side of the story even when none exists. 

Do you think John McGlynn has read that judgement from the Civil case? Do you think Kyle Benedictus has? Have any of the neck tattooed idiots on Twitter? Of course they haven't. Because you can't read it and still hold those opinions. It removes the doubt. But they don't want to do that. 

They want to think "maybe it wasn't what's been said", they want to think that the events of the night in question were different, in a lot of ways that I won't dignify by listing here. And that's because of how society has treated women, and crimes of this type. It has to stop. 

Glad you chose to stay on P&B bud. The person who sanctioned the signing of him clearly has no idea what a football club means to supporters. We had the arguments recently of how we needed to attend for mental health reasons during covid, these clubs across Scotland are more than just 90 mins on the pitch and the results. A club gets relegated, season books are still bought, club goes into Admin, everyone chips in.

These clubs are all some people have in their lives, they are a constant, jobs change, people move house, partners come and go, kids leave home, parents pass on, but the club, the club is constant throughout life. Always there to give you that escape, doesn't have to be a good result, sitting next to people who are all the same. Football is everything to some.

I really feel for Rovers fans, I really do, because we are all the same.

I hope this gets resolved, for the fans sake and those responsible are binned. 

But if not, you would be more than welcome at Dens. Not only have we been shafted multiple times by owners but we fuckin hate David Goodwillie.

Thank you.

16 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

I can't see haw anyone can roll out the 'rehabilitated' bollocks.

He has never went through any form of rehabilitation at all.

Once an Arab, always an Arab.

You made a good point until you used it as an opportunity for some point scoring. Do you really think that, or are you just saying it so that you can use it as a GIRUY?

Just now, Weegie Par said:

You made a good point until you used it as an opportunity for some point scoring. Do you really think that, or are you just saying it so that you can use it as a GIRUY?

It was a joke in bad taste, I apologise and will edit.

I always think that the view of footballers and football clubs is outdated - there are loads of great people involved in Scottish lower league football clubs, who have the clubs interest at heart and want to make things better etc.  I think most footballers are good guys and the stereotypical image of them as a thick, laddish idiots is out of date.  But then you get a situation like this and it just makes everything look as though the cliches are right, football blazers are all pig-headed old duffers and footballers are a load of thick spice boys.

42 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

We are stumbling from one PR crisis to another here. The club is crumbling! 

I thought this morning that the Raith Tv decision might be the final straw, that the club would realise that having no media outlet would put them back into the dark ages, along with the loss in stream revenue and it might lead them to do the right thing, then I see the Bene statement!

Can some tech savvy youngster let me know how I can delete my profile picture on here please? I don’t think it’s right that I continue to use that one in the current situation.

Not a youngster unfortunately but its pretty easy.

If you're on your phone, just scroll to the top of the page to the bit where your name is, hit the three bars and then when it opens click on your profile picture. Once that opens you have the two photo buttons either side that let you replace or remove the picture you have uploaded.

23 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:

There are too many people who are choosing to be wilfully ignorant, and use the obfuscation in this case around criminal courts and civil courts to turn a blind eye. 

It's quite simple. If David Goodwillie (or any other footballer) sent a tweet that said "I believe a black person's life is worth less than a white person's life" or "I deny that the holocaust happened", he'd never play football again. It'd be clear cut. 

For reasons that are deeply ingrained in society, and probably to a greater degree in the retrograde world of football, violence against women isn't treated the same way. People don't condone it, generally, but they look to excuse it. They're prepared to hear "the other side of the story". And worse than that, they're prepared to imagine a theoretical other side of the story even when none exists. 

Do you think John McGlynn has read that judgement from the Civil case? Do you think Kyle Benedictus has? Have any of the neck tattooed idiots on Twitter? Of course they haven't. Because you can't read it and still hold those opinions. It removes the doubt. But they don't want to do that. 

They want to think "maybe it wasn't what's been said", they want to think that the events of the night in question were different, in a lot of ways that I won't dignify by listing here. And that's because of how society has treated women, and crimes of this type. It has to stop. 

Absolutely spot on. Great post. 

Even if Raith were to punt Goodwillie, Raith fans should not be satisfied with that alone. How can they trust those who remain now to not make a similar ludicrous decision. Any sacking now of the player will not be for the right reasons but, and very transparently so, because of the bad publicity and, most of all, loss of income. 

Raith fans need to get the board and the manager out before they should think about returning (in my view). 

Regarding the protest on Saturday, the Raith fans should be contacting every media outlet going. Contact the Fife papers and the national papers. Contact the BBC and Sky. Contact any outlet that has already covered the story. I would recommend having someone film it too (have someone for this specific purpose) and then upload clips to Twitter and tag in as many outlets as you can (email clips as well). On that front, perhaps a dedicated Twitter account should be set up for this? 

Given Bene has previous for being a cvnt when it comes to how to treat women he surely shouldn't have even been allowed to be the team spokesperson.

Years ago now and you'd think he'd have grown up and matured by now but apparently not.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/dundee-football-star-kyle-benedictus-1098406

I always think that the view of footballers and football clubs is outdated - there are loads of great people involved in Scottish lower league football clubs, who have the clubs interest at heart and want to make things better etc.  I think most footballers are good guys and the stereotypical image of them as a thick, laddish idiots is out of date.  But then you get a situation like this and it just makes everything look as though the cliches are right, football blazers are all pig-headed old duffers and footballers are a load of thick spice boys.
I'd love to know the view of someone like Charlie Telfer, clearly someone who isn't a thick spice boy and actually has a law degree. Was he really ok with this player potentially playing for his team? Are players too worried about jobs to speak out?

Anyway, hope Denise Clair and her daughter are doing ok. Trauma of the worst night of her life being dragged up because her rapist wants one more big payout and some old men are happy to give it to him because "goals"

Makes me sick

Devil's advocate but I think Bene is in an unfortunate position here; he probably has media obligations as part of his contract so has to say something to the journalists all the while not publicly lambasting his employer for fear of losing his job. Not sure I agree with what he's said but there's bigger fish to fry.  

Edited by RRPT

The most depressing thing that has came out for me has been the supportive messages and, people trying to argue the pish about "he's done his time", "they were also drunk", "it wasn't a court of law" etc is where it is coming from. It is distinctly young men / teenagers or the older generation. I'm not for a second suggesting that people between 25-65 aren't but, from what I have seen on social media it is these groups that are making the most noise. 

Which makes me question, how are we getting it so wrong for the younger generation of men? The conversation around gender based violence and supporting survivors is nothing new. Is it a case of the conversation taking place in an echo chamber and people willfully choosing not to get involved as it looks difficult? I don't know how much it has changed since I was at school in the early 00's but, sex education was basically a load of teenagers in a room laughing as someone tried to put a condom on a test tube. There was a massively missed opportunity to have a proper open and frank conversation at that point. 

Unsurprisingly I have struggled to find much in the way of support comments from women, and noticed alot of them being abused over their stance. Our society is absolutely broken and this signing has sadly spotlighted it once again. Hopefully some good can come out of this and more survivors can find the support they require. 

If I had to compile a list of things I would feel comfortable with 98% of footballers making a statement on it would be quite a short one.

Hopefully the elite schools setup might start to improve things to allow them to concentrate on football while still getting a modicum of an education. The old setup of concentrating on football training over everything else hasn’t really led to great outcomes for them.

16 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

As much as we all get sick of constant e-learning etc, diversity and awareness is addressed daily in most "normal" work places. As far as I know football doesn't have that kind of culture.

I could imagine the face on Manager X when he is told that cross and finish practice is cancelled because the guy from LGBTQ is giving a talk on his experience of coming out.

20 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Do you have any supporting evidence for this theory? I could maybe buy that the lads, lads, lads stereotype is a bit overblown compared to 15-20 years ago (RIP - Scotland's shitehole town nightclubs), but the average footballer still comes across as being thicker than a whale omelette.