The New Raith Rovers Thread

We are stumbling from one PR crisis to another here. The club is crumbling! 

I thought this morning that the Raith Tv decision might be the final straw, that the club would realise that having no media outlet would put them back into the dark ages, along with the loss in stream revenue and it might lead them to do the right thing, then I see the Bene statement!

Can some tech savvy youngster let me know how I can delete my profile picture on here please? I don’t think it’s right that I continue to use that one in the current situation.

“I can’t sit here and say what’s right and what’s wrong [regarding the signing]. Everybody has their own opinion and we need to respect those opinions.

I suspect the journo was being very kind to Benedictus by adding in the bit in parentheses there.

The other problem with the statement from Benedictus is that if the club were working on a way to terminate his contract or put him on gardening leave or any other scenario that means he never plays for the club then I don't think Bene would make that statement.

The fact that he's talking about him as a member of the squad suggests he's training and there are no plans afoot to stop him becoming a member of the squad.

2 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

We are stumbling from one PR crisis to another here. The club is crumbling! 

I thought this morning that the Raith Tv decision might be the final straw, that the club would realise that having no media outlet would put them back into the dark ages, along with the loss in stream revenue and it might lead them to do the right thing, then I see the Bene statement!

Can some tech savvy youngster let me know how I can delete my profile picture on here please? I don’t think it’s right that I continue to use that one in the current situation.

If you're on a laptop, go to your profile page and click on the wee box by your photo.

Huge disappointing, if not remotely surprising, from Benedictus there. If I’m being extremely generous, he’s a coward who does have a problem with it but knows it’ll cause him hassle to say so. More likely, he’s just a c**t.

I do wonder if it’ll make it harder for Raith to attract other players though. I would hope that there’s players at other clubs who normally would be absolutely fine to go to Raith, but won’t while Goodwillie is there because they have some principles. I’ve always suspected that may be part of why Clyde’s recruitment always seems such a shambles. Pretty certain Danny Denholm is on record as having an issue with the signing, so you’d think he’s not the only footballer.

5 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

If you're on mobile, click on your existing profile picture from any page, and then look for this icon on your profile. 

1227583055_Screenshot_20220203-0906562.thumb.png.5942a4e0e6a6e300d61b8dc99f7d475f.png

Surely John McGlynn and Paul Smith have to go? The statement by the club on Tuesday, while abhorrent, made it abundantly clear that it was a footballing decision to sign Goodwillie. Footballing decisions lie with McGlynn and Smith. No one else.
I appreciate that McGlynn is the stereotypical "football man" who confesses his whole life revolves around the sport and perhaps isn't as aware of wider society as he should be, but for him to pursue the signing of someone that a court of law ruled as having raped someone is baffling. I don't believe McGlynn is a bad person, or that he doesn't have morals - he has worked tirelessly to make Rovers a successful community club - but I suspect his obsession with football and winning has clouded his judgement.    I can't see any way out of this for McGlynn and that hurts. I had so much respect for him after having such an important role in saving the club after the Anelka fiasco. Most Rovers fans are aware of the stories of him working all hours, even doing plumbing, cleaning and painting around Starks Park to make it a better environment for everyone. We also know how much he's done in Kirkcaldy and the surrounding areas, visiting elderly fans isolated by the pandemic, attending community events and visiting sick children in hospital with the players.   The board members that approved the transfer also need to hold their hands up, apologise and leave. And whoever approved the statement that went on the website on Tuesday should leave the club at the earliest opportunity as well, but I can't help feel McGlynn and Smith should be the first to go.   "First and foremost, it was a football-related decision."   I'm sorry it's come to this, but John, Paul - it's time to go.
You're giving Mcglynn far too much leeway here. He is a worm.

5 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

"Which Raith player would have the best take on women's safeguarding and the role of footballers in that?"

Screenshot_20220203-090204_Chrome.thumb.jpg.749b6591d521464367d514c4cdd43937.jpg

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/footie-star-kyle-benedictus-walks-1084779

She turned the weans against him.

2 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:

There are too many people who are choosing to be wilfully ignorant, and use the obfuscation in this case around criminal courts and civil courts to turn a blind eye. 

It's quite simple. If David Goodwillie (or any other footballer) sent a tweet that said "I believe a black person's life is worth less than a white person's life" or "I deny that the holocaust happened", he'd never play football again. It'd be clear cut. 

For reasons that are deeply ingrained in society, and probably to a greater degree in the retrograde world of football, violence against women isn't treated the same way. People don't condone it, generally, but they look to excuse it. They're prepared to hear "the other side of the story". And worse than that, they're prepared to imagine a theoretical other side of the story even when none exists. 

Do you think John McGlynn has read that judgement from the Civil case? Do you think Kyle Benedictus has? Have any of the neck tattooed idiots on Twitter? Of course they haven't. Because you can't read it and still hold those opinions. It removes the doubt. But they don't want to do that. 

They want to think "maybe it wasn't what's been said", they want to think that the events of the night in question were different, in a lot of ways that I won't dignify by listing here. And that's because of how society has treated women, and crimes of this type. It has to stop. 

I think it's because a lot of them may have done something similar in the past and rather than admit it to themselves would just prefer to believe a narrative of "aye she was pished but she was asking for it anyway"

40 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

“Everybody has their opinion on what happened”.

Yes Kyle, including the judge who went through all the evidence.

Follow up questions to that in the interview should be "and what's your opinion about rape Kyle?  For or against?"

I think it's because a lot of them may have done something similar in the past and rather than admit it to themselves would just prefer to believe a narrative of "aye she was pished but she was asking for it anyway"
This is the elephant in the room I think.

44 minutes ago, Michael W said:

I did wonder last night if we could set up a crowdfunder amongst the fans to do this. 

Then I thought about it and decided it is a hard sell, and that I wouldn't want to contribute to it. 

There's the Celtic money forthcoming...

The Celtic money has been spent on the Goodwillie transfer fee