The New Raith Rovers Thread

Here is the fix

John Sim has to pay Goodwillie has contractual wage in full.

Then the famous four have to be removed from the boardroom along with the management. As their actions have dragged our once proud club into the gutter. I include Mrs McCartney in this.

The following people have to be brought back

Directors

Bill Clark …………..chairman
Val McDermid……Vice chair
Andy Mill …………..supporters
Dave Hancock…….media and communications (vital role)

Management ……Berra/McDonald

We can then put this awfull mess behind us and maybe get some kudos from learning from this and taking action promptly. if not the circus will continue and my team will become a pariah.

1 hour ago, Firefoxer said:

Have some back bone raith rovers!  And sign the guy and play him!  

The case he was involved in was years ago and a overall flimsy case ,  no criminal charges were made and frankly he has every right to earn a living at his chosen job. 

All this garbage about footballers being role models is ridiculous. 

Goodwillie is an innocent man as our justice system proved. 

Rapist apologist. 

I'm completely unsurprised by that interview. There's generally a view footballing dressing rooms are insular places so it's no shock of talking of them back him and how it's "a question of professionalism". But it's abundantly clear that there's a real problem both at Rovers and within the game in general that there's a dismissive "one of our own" culture. I've only seen one active (an ex Pars player who I can't mind the name of) and a couple of former players who have like McAnespie who have come out to condemn it. We've seen far more players, whether with other teams or our own former players, come out to say its a good move.

The statement is just like the one on Tuesday night: it focuses only on "But think of the goals" and completely fails to read the room. I don't think anyone is surprised: any player who does come out would likely get labelled as a grass, snowflake or some other oddball term. They'll all be concerned about their own futures but it doesn't make it any more brutal.

What a shambles Rovers have become. This isn't the club we know and love.

Surely John McGlynn and Paul Smith have to go? The statement by the club on Tuesday, while abhorrent, made it abundantly clear that it was a footballing decision to sign Goodwillie. Footballing decisions lie with McGlynn and Smith. No one else.

I appreciate that McGlynn is the stereotypical "football man" who confesses his whole life revolves around the sport and perhaps isn't as aware of wider society as he should be, but for him to pursue the signing of someone that a court of law ruled as having raped someone is baffling. I don't believe McGlynn is a bad person, or that he doesn't have morals - he has worked tirelessly to make Rovers a successful community club - but I suspect his obsession with football and winning has clouded his judgement. 

I can't see any way out of this for McGlynn and that hurts. I had so much respect for him after having such an important role in saving the club after the Anelka fiasco. Most Rovers fans are aware of the stories of him working all hours, even doing plumbing, cleaning and painting around Starks Park to make it a better environment for everyone. We also know how much he's done in Kirkcaldy and the surrounding areas, visiting elderly fans isolated by the pandemic, attending community events and visiting sick children in hospital with the players.

The board members that approved the transfer also need to hold their hands up, apologise and leave. And whoever approved the statement that went on the website on Tuesday should leave the club at the earliest opportunity as well, but I can't help feel McGlynn and Smith should be the first to go.

"First and foremost, it was a football-related decision."

I'm sorry it's come to this, but John, Paul - it's time to go.
Edited by St. Starko

6 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Ah, this thread really needed some fresh misogyny.

I should have had that particular quote in inverted commas - as in that's definitely what some folk think about situations like this - ie it's a "bimbo, dirty, daft wee lassie" etc etc who's went out to bag a rich footballer and got in above her head, therefore doesn't deserve sympathy. It's a horrific point of view but even 2 minutes on twitter etc proves it absolutely does exist.  

36 minutes ago, Michael W said:

The comments from Bene are exactly what I expected, btw. 

Yet another kick in the guts. 

I predicted as much last night.   High fives and wee jokes / banter about it today at training no doubt.   Its so depressing 

Here is the fix

John Sim has to pay Goodwillie has contractual wage in full.

Then the famous four have to be removed from the boardroom along with the management. As their actions have dragged our once proud club into the gutter. I include Mrs McCartney in this.

The following people have to be brought back

Directors

Bill Clark …………..chairman
Val McDermid……Vice chair
Andy Mill …………..supporters
Dave Hancock…….media and communications (vital role)

Management ……Berra/McDonald

We can then put this awfull mess behind us and maybe get some kudos from learning from this and taking action promptly. if not the circus will continue and my team will become a pariah.

Also could the authorities make use of the Goodwillie windfall

Ach, grimly predictable that, but disappointing all the same. 

Can't help feeling that if the club still had a media team he'd have been advised to keep quiet on the subject. 

Stand-by for more of these hot takes from "good football men" as we head into the weekend. Half an hour into Sportsound the phrase "he's a professional" is going to make you want to scream. 

I really feel for the Raith fans here. 

Going back; the Raith away day game was one we used to look forward to. Cracking wee club (don't mean that to sound condescending); the fact that the railway line runs behind one of the stands actually just makes the ground even more unique,

Friendly staff; the girl (I call her a girl as I'm now in my mid sixties so she's still a lassie to me) behind the servery seemed to remember the vast majority of supporters; would welcome them and ask how they were doing. She even seemed to remember some of the names - I mean that's possibly tens of thousands of faces in a season? For me she optimised Raith Rovers as a family friendly club.

The supporters all seemed pretty sound; as a family man it was a safe away day to take my kids twenty years ago and still is (even though my "kids" are now in their late 20's or early 30's). Easy to get to; easy to park - although I never worked out why it took so much longer to get away from the ground than it did getting there....

For me the Raith supporters have every right to their club; they're the one's who turn up on a rainy Tuesday night; support the club through thick and thin. It is their local club; the one that is in their blood.

What can be done? Well suggestions of mass protests outside the ground will ultimately be unsuccessful; those responsible will simply think they can ride it out and potentially threaten those like the club captain to tow the line. Many of the players will have mortgages and other commitments; can they afford to put their livlihood at risk (and the future of their families)?

Strongly worded letters; emails etc. are also unlikely to be effective; they can be ignored. 

The loss of sponsorship will have an initial impact but; compared the the advertising revenue they can gain from just one televised Old Firm game in the Premiership, maybe its a gamble worth taking for the board?

Season ticket holders not turning up wont have much of an effect either; they've already paid for the season and are unlikely to get a refund so again the board can ignore them.

One thing that would be really effective though is if all those season ticket holders saying they're not going to attend; actually did so - then, maybe five minutes before the kick off, had a mass protest on the pitch; stopping the game from starting. Say for example five hundred supporters standing in the centre circle (peaceful but noisy); what are the club going to do? Twenty or thirty stewards are going to end up taking an hour to get them all removed.  The club could try threatening them all with football banning orders but banning your home support from attending home games seems somewhat counter productive - and anyway a two year ban was what many were threatening to do anyway i.e. not returning until Goodwillie's contract runs out.

Irrespective of what you decide to do; stay strong guys. As bad as things seem now; the club will survive. 

1 hour ago, Firefoxer said:

Have some back bone raith rovers!  And sign the guy and play him!  

The case he was involved in was years ago and a overall flimsy case ,  no criminal charges were made and frankly he has every right to earn a living at his chosen job. 

All this garbage about footballers being role models is ridiculous. 

Goodwillie is an innocent man as our justice system proved. 

What is with these ^^^ fucking losers? Do folk actually believe this or are they just out for attention? 

Absolute fucking weirdos who should be first in line for hard drive checks. 

3 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

It’s really fucking depressing that the best case scenario from this is that we hand over a 6 figure pay off to a rapist…

I did wonder last night if we could set up a crowdfunder amongst the fans to do this. 

Then I thought about it and decided it is a hard sell, and that I wouldn't want to contribute to it. 

There's the Celtic money forthcoming...

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

So Benedictus becomes the first player to comment with some awkward sounding comments in the Courier. 

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/2972781/kyle-benedictus-david-goodwillie-raith-rovers/

“Everybody has their opinion on what happened”.

Yes Kyle, including the judge who went through all the evidence.

6BDF2B59-E911-4675-B040-2B2136C0D87E.jpeg

425EB681-F51F-44F4-A990-2E2EA2C8ACD5.jpeg

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

So Benedictus becomes the first player to comment with some awkward sounding comments in the Courier. 

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/2972781/kyle-benedictus-david-goodwillie-raith-rovers/

1 hour ago, Grant228 said:

Awkward in what way? He's pretty clear in what he's saying, it's just that what he's saying is absolutely awful. 

25 minutes ago, 101 said:

What a complete shite bag.

Having been on a night out with Benedictus many years ago I can indeed confirm that he is a monumentally thick ned, and that his comments above come as no surprise (other than containing a surprising number of multi-syllabled words).