The New Raith Rovers Thread

2 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Except if they do something you are morally opposed to.

You're very polite about it but you clearly see this as someone else's problem and that it shouldn't interfere with your enjoyment.

Some people will feel more strongly. At the risk of being too emotive, would you go if he'd raped a relative or friend of yours, would you enjoy the day out the same?

Well, no. If he'd raped a relative of mine, I'd clearly not go. But then, if a Hearts player were to punch a relative of mine, I'd probably not feel like going to watch Hearts play. However, I've gone to support Hearts with players in the team I know for a fact to be thuggish wronguns. Making it more immediate to your situation always changes things. I've paid to watch Hearts play Livi, would I do that if Martindale had sold drugs to my nephew and caused him serious harm? Doubt it.

I have no issue with people who feel really strongly making their own choices. However, I absolutely stand by the principle that this should not be forcing anyone to avoid an important social outlet or to miss what are quite special days. And I think there is a strong social pressure element to this, as if people have to justify why they aren't boycotting. That's wrong. People who have done nothing wrong should feel fine about going to support their football team with their friends and relatives. It's an important part of people's lives and we shouldn't be pressuring people to miss out on it when they've done nothing wrong.

There was a Killie supporter earlier mentioning the possibility of missing their team win the league. I don't see the good in spreading the harm that wide. That's the kind of day that people remember when their dad passes away or when mates move abroad and you don't see them for years. I don't see the good in encouraging people to miss that because Raith have hired a wrongun. That's punishing the wrong people.

But not just winning the league. A standard day out at the football with your family or mates is important. Raith fans shouldn't feel they need to give it up.

9 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Oh my days. It sounds like JT Well has phoned in to Radio Scotland. Guys saying it’s “rich” of Val to complain about this because she makes a living from writing crime novels. Simply unbelievable.

Certainly a lot of Clyde fans outing themselves as total moonhowlers. “Goodwillie is a club legend…” “a model professional on and off the pitch” “he will be welcomed back with open arms”. Scary.

1 minute ago, VincentGuerin said:

Well, no. If he'd raped a relative of mine, I'd clearly not go. But then, if a Hearts player were to punch a relative of mine, I'd probably not feel like going to watch Hearts play. However, I've gone to support Hearts with players in the team I know for a fact to be thuggish wronguns. Making it more immediate to your situation always changes things. I've paid to watch Hearts play Livi, would I do that if Martindale had sold drugs to my nephew and caused him serious harm? Doubt it.

I have no issue with people who feel really strongly making their own choices. However, I absolutely stand by the principle that this should not be forcing anyone to avoid an important social outlet or to miss what are quite special days. And I think there is a strong social pressure element to this, as if people have to justify why they aren't boycotting. That's wrong. People who have done nothing wrong should feel fine about going to support their football team with their friends and relatives. It's an important part of people's lives and we shouldn't be pressuring people to miss out on it when they've done nothing wrong.

There was a Killie supporter earlier mentioning the possibility of missing their team win the league. I don't see the good in spreading the harm that wide. That's the kind of day that people remember when their dad passes away or when mates move abroad and you don't see them for years. I don't see the good in encouraging people to miss that because Raith have hired a wrongun. That's punishing the wrong people.

But not just winning the league. A standard day out at the football with your family or mates is important. Raith fans shouldn't feel they need to give it up.

You represent the majority view I suspect, in that you don't really care. That's fine, but don't dress it up as an alternative form of morality.

13 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

Naively, I had thought they had perhaps spoken to Val and other key stakeholders who had raised concerns as well as volunteers and staff around the club to gauge feelings and explain their reasons (obviously nothing they could say would really justify it).

I'd thought that too.  When Clyde fans were on here talking about the transfer again I figured it was either a joke, or if it wasn't then the club must have spoken to Val McDermid, etc and had gotten their sign off.  So in the back of my head I was thinking we were going to hear about all this other stuff that was going to be happening alongside this transfer and that it must be something pretty major to get Val and that to sign off on it.  No idea what it could be admittedly. 

Then woke up yesterday morning to the news Val had pulled her sponsorship, others were walking away from the club and it became pretty clear our board (the ones who voted in favour) are just a bunch of fucking idiots.

3 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

You represent the majority view I suspect, in that you don't really care. That's fine, but don't dress it up as an alternative form of morality.

I don't think that's fair comment at all. It's possible to think DG shouldn't be employed in football but also to believe normal people shouldn't have to suffer as a result.

If you can't see that, then you can't see that.

2 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

What radio show was this? Anyone know who went on?

Sounds like it was call Kaye on BBC Scotland, usually full of horrific takes so not surprised to hear it's been full of roasters again today.

5 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Goodwillie to be mutually terminated before the week is over as Raith scramble to stupidly believe they can save face IMO.

Only the complete clear out of Goodwillie, the management team and the board would even start to defumigate the club.

Really feels like we've witnessed the (entirely self inflicted) destruction of Raith Rovers.

Unless we are going to introduce a fit and proper requirement to be a player then there’s very little the Spfl can do.

Mutual agreement would seem a logical option, gives him a payment and allows him to ply his trade elsewhere.  Assuming anyone would be daft enough to take him.  But looking at the actions of that board over the last 48hrs, I’d not be surprised to see them call everyone woke lefty’s and he’s staying and that’s that.

If he goes and the people who signed him stay, their first statement would be a fucking cracker.

“Right lads, you got your way, we punted him. Can you give us your money again?”

Just now, renton said:

Only the complete clear out of Goodwillie, the management team and the board would even start to defumigate the club.

Really feels like we've witnessed the (entirely self inflicted) destruction of Raith Rovers.

Quite. That statement from the club last night after so many staff and financial backers had pulled the plug was extraordinary. No mention of 'we can see we got this wrong'. 

At what point will the board acknowledge the material damage to your club never mind the ongoing reputational carnage that will likely affect your ability to sign up players and sponsors for the next few years? They must all be absolutely mental.

2 minutes ago, smpar said:

If he goes and the people who signed him stay, their first statement would be a fucking cracker.

“Right lads, you got your way, we punted him. Can you give us your money again?”

I see two options…a long slow fall into the abyss or a buy out. The problem is, who has the dosh and willingness to do it? If we wait a bit, fan ownership is possible, but probably without Starks Park.

3 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

I'm not entirely sure what this has got to do with the First Minister. 

I agree. I don't see the angle here.

She's talking like he's just got out the jail and Raith have signed up.

Again, I completely understand the Rovers fans who are upset here. But this guy played for Clyde last Saturday and nobody bothered.