The New Raith Rovers Thread

44 minutes ago, SanStarko said:

Niall on the Rovers commentary mentioned they might have a mystery guest on the commentary in the second half.  Then it never got mentioned again and he did all the commentary himself.

Got a really awful feeling that Goodwillie was going to be the mystery guest but then they realised that would be the third stupid thing the club had done in 24 hours.

Just after Niall said that, I posted "The mystery guest better not be DG" Admittedly at that stage I pretty much doubted the club would be so stupid as to have done that, but in retrospect of what has gone before they clearly are. I have the feeling that he actually was lined up to talk but someone very wisely canned it.

I have checked the IP address's and they are not connected

That's depressing.
What gives you the right, this is a free country and everyone is entitled to their opinions. 
How many where posting about their morals when he played for Clyde. 

Creating an account to defend a rapist. f**k up ya creep.

16 minutes ago, candycelt said:

What was the attendance like tonight? Was it notably less than usual?

also, it’s really confused me the difference in reaction from Clyde to Raith fans. Think the signing is disgusting and feel for Raith fans, but its weird that I can’t remember there being much backlash from Clyde fans when he signed there and he’s seen as a hero there, whilst its caused Raith to lose several sponsors, board members etc. Anyone think of any reason why the two reactions to Goodwillie were so different? Find it weird man

When Clyde signed him they were rapidly heading for the Lowland League under the less than skilled management of Barry Ferguson. The Clyde fans see their club as a sleeping giant who should be in the Championship at least and the fact that Goodwillie's goals saved them and then fired them to promotion and have kept them in L1 made him a hero to them. I think there were one or two Clyde fans who expressed distaste at the time of the signing and plenty of L2 opposition fans who didn't care for him but Clyde had a bigger support and more P&B posters (or more aliases) than most of their rivals so could shrug off the criticism.

They were quite happy to take the moral high ground regarding other players, including one that Clyde tried to sign twice, though 

TL:DR have you ever met Clyde fans??!

If you wanted to be charitable to McGlynn, and frankly I'm in no fucking mood to be, you could argue that his primary remit is to win football matches. If he believes David Goodwillie is the best striker available to him, that's his opinion and he's more than earned his stripes in football to have it. 

But there have to be checks and balances. There have to be others at the club who take into account non-footballing reasons and make the right decision. You don't sign football players in a vacuum. They come with baggage, and sometimes it's enough to put you into the headlines of the News at Ten. 

I'm not giving McGlynn any kind of free pass on this though. He's been around football long enough to know exactly what pursuing this transfer meant. Maybe not to the extent we've seen, granted, but he knew it wasn't going to be well received, and he pushed ahead anyway. 

How many Championship managers who've hit a bad patch over the last few years have thought "David Goodwillie would really improve my team"? Probably all of them. How many decided not to even broach the issue? Most, I imagine. A few will have taken it to their board and gotten short shrift. 

How many found that the football club they manage is so morally bankrupt that they'd bankroll a five figure transfer fee and bring in a rapist against the express wishes of a major sponsor, two directors and countless supporters? Only you, Mr McGlynn, only you. 

6 minutes ago, Alan H said:

Went to the game tonight to show my support for the players over the 90 minutes despite the latest faux social media outrage by a majority of people who have never heard of Raith Rovers before today. There was no booing, no baying mobs, no boycotts, no picquet lines, no eggs thrown. A normal midweek attendance and  a peaceful protest by approx 20 people outside the ground prior to the game.

Disappointed as I was in the club's decision today I decided not to jump on the social media band-wagon led by Val McDermid with Nicola Sturgeon in tow. Why you ask? Well I was silent when Scottish football was brought into disrepute back in March 2017 when he signed for Clyde. Where was the furore, where was the First Minister's indignation then? I myself didn't say anything. I don't even recall talking abut it. Barely a whimper compared to today's frenzy on here and across other social media platforms, but hey I suppose 'cancel culture' and social media 'pile-ons' wasn't in vogue back then! Clyde obviously didn't have any celebrity supporters with First Ministers in their back pocket to rouse the clamouring mobs looking for their next target.

If you care about the Scottish game and you didn't shout from the rooftops and make grand and extreme proclamations when he signed for Clyde back in 2017 then please spare me your righteousness and moral grandstanding because it's suddenly and inconveniently landed on your doorstep today. Touting your virtues or sob stories about cancelling your player subscription or season ticket does not mean you are morally superior to me or anyone else. There is an important conversation to be had here which we all conveniently ignored a few years back for some reason or another. If you were as vocal then as you were today then fair play, your a better person than me and well done! If not... then ask yourself why...I know I will be!

Total agree, could put it better myself.  Also at the to support my team.

6 minutes ago, Alan H said:

Went to the game tonight to show my support for the players over the 90 minutes despite the latest faux social media outrage by a majority of people who have never heard of Raith Rovers before today. There was no booing, no baying mobs, no boycotts, no picquet lines, no eggs thrown. A normal midweek attendance and  a peaceful protest by approx 20 people outside the ground prior to the game.

Disappointed as I was in the club's decision today I decided not to jump on the social media band-wagon led by Val McDermid with Nicola Sturgeon in tow. Why you ask? Well I was silent when Scottish football was brought into disrepute back in March 2017 when he signed for Clyde. Where was the furore, where was the First Minister's indignation then? I myself didn't say anything. I don't even recall talking abut it. Barely a whimper compared to today's frenzy on here and across other social media platforms, but hey I suppose 'cancel culture' and social media 'pile-ons' wasn't in vogue back then! Clyde obviously didn't have any celebrity supporters with First Ministers in their back pocket to rouse the clamouring mobs looking for their next target.

If you care about the Scottish game and you didn't shout from the rooftops and make grand and extreme proclamations when he signed for Clyde back in 2017 then please spare me your righteousness and moral grandstanding because it's suddenly and inconveniently landed on your doorstep today. Touting your virtues or sob stories about cancelling your player subscription or season ticket does not mean you are morally superior to me or anyone else. There is an important conversation to be had here which we all conveniently ignored a few years back for some reason or another. If you were as vocal then as you were today then fair play, your a better person than me and well done! If not... then ask yourself why...I know I will be!

I hate to break this to you, but other than a few of your INCEL pals, literally everyone on this thread is morally superior to you. 

You are absolute fucking pondlife. 

3 minutes ago, Alan H said:

There was outrage when Clyde brought the rapist back into Scottish football.  Now toddle off back to your Daily Mail gammon

3 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

No one could possibly give the slightest f**k you rape apologist cretin.

Jeez, surely it's a bit of stretch to call someone a "rape apologist" because David Goodwillie happens to have signed for the club he supports.

4 minutes ago, RexTheCommander said:

What gives you the right, this is a free country and everyone is entitled to their opinions. 

How many where posting about their morals when he played for Clyde. 

Quite a view actually which is why the Clyde Board issued a really hollow statement about how they were giving this young man (DG) the chance to rebuild his life! Yeah, and not a single thought for the victim! What about her life?

They took advantage of a bad situation by signing a player who in normal circumstances they wouldn't have been able to afford and let's be Frank  wouldn't have looked twice at them..

All Clyde did was soil their reputation and integrity and I know I will never go to see them!

Are RRs doing the same?

4 minutes ago, Chubbychops said:

There was outrage when Clyde brought the rapist back into Scottish football.  Now toddle off back to your Daily Mail gammon

Read my post again and quote where i said there was 'no outrage' when he signed for Clyde. Basic reading comprehension on this forum is on par with primary 5 levels.

51 minutes ago, Left Back said:

What do you think they’re going to do?  Walk out?

This is their job.  They can’t sign for another club until the next window.  They still have to pay the mortgage and support their families.

Only passing on what was said on the other channel by a person who I believe is at or was at the club, dont shoot the messenger