The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 minute ago, OhnononoGeordieMunro said:

Like the idea of a Phoenix club if Sim et al don’t give up positions of power. Pathway back to senior football with supporter ownership.

That's just daft. You'd lose your right to point and laugh at a certain Govan mob. 

34 minutes ago, DundeeUnited9999 said:

ok but he's been playing for Clyde for how long?       so what job should he be allowed to do then ?

Not really sure that is the concern of Raith fans. 

I wouldn't want a rapist playing for my club, clearly you aren't arsed.

37 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Raith have obviously fucked this badly but it's really time for the whole of Scottish football to take a look at ourselves.

Clyde who played him for the past 4 years, the United fans who sang "he does what he wants", every away fan who used it as an excuse for a point and laugh GIRUY rather than genuine disgust.

Hopefully as a whole we can start to address the toxic culture around the game. Huge strides taken to address homophobia and support mental health in recent years. Its time to look at toxic masculinity and male entitlement culture now too. 

On the one hand I hate the way football is expected to address societal issues but on the other hand some of the views some football fans feel comfortable expressing today show that the shifting the culture in and around the game is would have a positive knock on effect elsewhere.

Excellent post.

I have wondered if there was a backlash when Clyde took him all those years ago. I imagine so but cannot remember.

But back then we didn't see the fans/public push back as much. More recently with BLM for example, the reaction does not go down, and the push goes until something seems to change. Prince Andrew for example as well, it didn't stop and the strive to right continued. Don't wanna go over them in here so ill say no more on them. You cant just sit back and wait for everything to blow over.

That's what i suspect the Raith board are doing now, a few days/weeks and a few wins later it all settles down.  Look around, it doesn't work nowadays. And this post points out why it shouldn't. Steps need to be taken now so societal issues can be better addressed by the clubs but how when continuing to employ people like Goodwillie?

This will be my last post on the subject and on this forum(would be grateful if someone could tell me how to delete account). Have been absolutely slaughtered at work today. Its no surprise really considering I work in Falkirk and have been giving them pelters for years. Like to say a huge thanks to the  manager and chairman for 'rapist' patter I''m going to be getting at work for the foreseeable. Really is just what you want at 6am every fucking morning. 

Pretty ashamed of my posts on here last night too. I had only just learned of the news. No way I would want to be seen as someone who would support the rapist but the thought of stopping supporting the cub breaks my heart too. Will be at the game tonight but feeling real shitty about it. 

Edited by RR #1

There's no cooling off period in an employment contract but there is often a probationary period - often 3 months - where the employer can part ways with employee if they are deemed unsuitable for the role.  
You'd need a decent lawyer to invoke that successfully though.
Employment rights accrue gradually over the 1st 24 months of employment. There can be no claim for unfair dismissal until then and in that period the employer doesn't even need to give a reason for termination. Looks bad but common enough practice.

So far I’ve heard that both shirt sponsors have pulled their sponsorship, some female staff at the club have walked, the ladies team captain has left and 2 directors have resigned (presumably they voted against the signing), what’s next a player/s walk out?

Potential fix .

Assuming there is no cooling off period and this deal cannot be reversed, all of the directors who voted to sanction this should pay up his contract out of their own pockets and send him on his way. It would stink that a man like that would gain from this but better to have the stench of him and this at Starks Park.

17 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

How have you managed to link this page in that URL?! 

Great to read all these people giving up their jobs and turning their backs on the club. Power to the people. Hopefully they all find other employment soon enough. 

Haven,t a scooby how and unaware I had 😁

This will be my last post on the subject and on this forum(would be grateful if someone could tell me how to delete account). Have been absolutely slaughtered at work today. Its no surprise really considering I work in Falkirk and have been giving them pelters for years. Like to say a huge thanks to the  manager and chairman for 'rapist' patter I''m going to be getting at work for the foreseeable. Really is just what you want at 6am every fucking morning. 
Pretty ashamed of my posts on here last night too. I had only just learned of the news. No way I would want to be seen as someone who would support the rapist but the thought of stopping supporting the cub breaks my heart too. Will be at the game tonight but feeling real shitty about it. 

I don't feel you or any other Raith fan should feel guilty about attending tonight's game or any subsequent fixtures for that matter. It's a horrible situation you've been put in.

3 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

So far I’ve heard that both shirt sponsors have pulled their sponsorship, some female staff at the club have walked, the ladies team captain has left and 2 directors have resigned (presumably they voted against the signing), what’s next a player/s walk out?

Potential fix .

Assuming there is no cooling off period and this deal cannot be reversed, all of the directors who voted to sanction this should pay up his contract out of their own pockets and send him on his way. It would stink that a man like that would gain from this but better to have the stench of him and this at Starks Park.

I'm not convinced the remaining directors will think there is a problem to fix.

You know what it's such a stone radge decision I've honestly spent the last hour considering that Sim wants to sell the ground or the club or wants out or something mad that he'd allow such a huge scale mismanagement decision like this.

I can't see how this hasn't come out in a risk review? It's beyond belief this decision. We can all have a right chuckle now at the Anelka, Vaughan and going to Ayr without a goalie mismangement but this is the one of the worst business decision I think I've ever witnessed and it's playing out exactly like everyone would have imagined.

3 minutes ago, FBadgers said:

Excellent post.

I have wondered if there was a backlash when Clyde took him all those years ago. I imagine so but cannot remember.

But back then we didn't see the fans/public push back as much. More recently with BLM for example, the reaction does not go down, and the push goes until something seems to change. Prince Andrew for example as well, it didn't stop and the strive to right continued. Don't wanna go over them in here so ill say no more on them. You cant just sit back and wait for everything to blow over.

That's what i suspect the Raith board are doing now, a few days/weeks and a few wins later it all settles down.  Look around, it doesn't work nowadays. And this post points out why it shouldn't. Steps need to be taken now so societal issues can be better addressed by the clubs but how when continuing to employ people like Goodwillie?

Quick search for quotes when he signed for Clyde

From the Clyde chairman

He told the club's official website: "I think we have to beware of those who seek to use these matters for political and personal benefit and we should seek what is in us to be authentic and true and make the right decisions, even if it isn't universally or politically popular."

Mr Innes added: "David is a free man with a financial charge on his head, this arising from the civil action against him.

"He is appealing the judge's opinion and it will eventually establish a status and end point, but to be clear, Clyde FC will play no part in this. It is down to others to deal with.

"There is no positive purpose or societal gain whatsoever to wish ill on him and allow his talents to stagnate and waste.

"Football and society would be failing if this was allowed to happen. If he ultimately has responsibilities to honour through any final binding decision, he should use the skills at his disposal to earn and honour it. Is it not right to create the conditions for him to potentially service society's demands on him?

"I have helped people in need in the past and it can be testing and challenging, especially when they - sometimes - let you and themselves down, but I will not change. If the opportunity arises to do so then we should all embrace this approach."

2 hours ago, Left Back said:

Could maybe use it to pay the civil claim he weaseled out of with bankruptcy.

Hes a complete scum bag who has never shown a hint of remorse. 

59 minutes ago, Iain said:

With so much behind the scenes talent leaving the club and fans walking away, there must be a potential for some kind of phoenix/grassroots club to be started, along the lines of FC United that represents the local area in a more appropriate way.

I love FC united, but to get to where they have they’ve had to raise millions to build a ground etc its not that easy. As a Bankies fan I know this to be the case.

17 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

While he was playing for Clyde he was delivering packages for DPD. I'm sure most people wouldn't grudge him that sort of work. You need to face the fact that small kids look up to footballers and not their DPD Delivery man, which is why there is no outrage about him delivering parcels. 

He was on a grand a week at Clyde. He used to moan about not being able to have a decent car. 

In an entirely unrelated matter I’d like to see all new signings at football clubs in the championship and above subjected to a drug test.

Edited by Inanimate Carbon Rod

9 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:
17 minutes ago, DA-go Par Adonis said:
There's no cooling off period in an employment contract but there is often a probationary period - often 3 months - where the employer can part ways with employee if they are deemed unsuitable for the role.  
You'd need a decent lawyer to invoke that successfully though.

Employment rights accrue gradually over the 1st 24 months of employment. There can be no claim for unfair dismissal until then and in that period the employer doesn't even need to give a reason for termination. Looks bad but common enough practice.

That’s not quite true. There can be a claim for unfair dismissal in the first two years but only on the grounds of discrimination. 

51 minutes ago, tazz1903 said:

Surely the rovers could have signed someone rather that DG? FFS 

We thought so too late, we voiced our opinions a few months ago when his name was mentioned. But naw the club didn’t listen.