The New Raith Rovers Thread

10 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

Is it possible Goodwillie has ended his career here? Hard to see him just slink back to Clyde or any league club and continue playing. The outcry has gone mainstream. 

If so, sweet, sweet justice. 

If he has he's done well. Raith have no legal basis to punt him so if he's never getting a senior club again and been giving a 2.5 year pay off on something most likely approaching 50k a year he'll be chuffed to bits. 

11 minutes ago, Offshore Rover said:

Madness isnt it. I cant see a U-turn now, all these people resigning likely means they have spoken with the board and they aren't willing to budge

Yeah I was hopeful that this morning somebody would have seen sense and we'd have cancelled the deal, regardless of how much it would have cost us.  Wouldn't have made anything right but would at least have been a very, very small step in the right direction.

But given Alan Temple said there was a board meeting this morning and now we're having all these resignations, and there's been no statement, it really seems that Sim and the others have doubled down and Goodwillie will be staying. 

1 minute ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

If he has he's done well. Raith have no legal basis to punt him so if he's never getting a senior club again and been giving a 2.5 year pay off on something most likely approaching 50k a year he'll be chuffed to bits. 

Could maybe use it to pay the civil claim he weaseled out of with bankruptcy.

15 minutes ago, RiG said:

So that's the following who have quit since the Goodwillie announcement:

• Andrew Mill (Director)
  • Bill Clark (Director)
  • Shirt Sponsor
  • Fans Director
  • Raith Rovers SLO
  • Tyler Rattray Raith Rovers WFC Captain
  • Marine Penman 

Apologies I don't know all their names and may not have matched names to positions correctly. Let me know of any errors.

The match day announcer has gone as well. 

1 minute ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Yep, gardening leave for two and a half years might just be around the corner.

I wanted to keep this as a separate post but what now potentially for the Raith woman's team or youth girl teams.

Especially if Goodwillie goes nowhere anytime soon.

If others from the senior ladies team decide to leave then where could that leave given it would by understandable if further lady players refused to sign for Raith.

Also what about the youth girl teams if parents start to decide they don't want daughters playing Raith now and they start pulling out from the various age groups and potential new players and parents being understandably put off from joining the girls teams.

What then for those teams.

3 minutes ago, Ex Machina said:

I see no outcome where the club gets fans back on side with the current BoD and McGlynn still in charge.

Would a genuine mea culpa do the trick? A 'we can now see that we got this 100% wrong and we unreservedly apologise to our own fans and wider football community' type of thing. 

Personally I don't believe that the RR BoD are rape apologists. Rather that they have just massively fucked up. I reserve the right to change that opinion though should Goodwillie actually pull on a Rovers' jersey and play for them. 

I think folk expecting Raith to walk this back are being silly. They've known for weeks that Val would remove her support, the fans rep had received numerous emails from fans about support that would be withdrawn, their own board members had no doubt told them they'd quit if it went through and yet still they've signed the c**t. They'll double down and hope that Goodwillie does the business on the park and fans forget about it. It's complete suicide but they've done it now. Walking it back now just doesn't seem an option.

6 minutes ago, John MacLean said:

*Just as a largely irrelevant aside, he was garbage when I saw play against Thistle for Clyde last season. 

We've played Clyde a few times when he was a player there, and I thought he looked rotten in every game I saw him (including one in which they actually won), which was surprising given his prolific record each season for them. 

I think some people are over-estimating his current ability slightly with some of the claims (such as, he's of 'premiership quality'). 

Just now, Steakngravys Maw said:

Didn't think Raith were that popular! 

image.thumb.png.da5da8c2fc4b561716abb2f64bae0bf3.png

Even Sky Sports have got a segment on it on their daily loop of repeated news stories. 

I’m genuinely astounded Raith have done this but it’s reassuring to see the backlash and resignations. The fact this guy was Clyde’s club captain is absolutely wild. Imagine giving this guy a platform to be someone your children look up to and idolise as a player when you know deep down he’s a despicable human.

21 minutes ago, RiG said:

So that's the following who have quit since the Goodwillie announcement:

• Andrew Mill (Director)
  • Bill Clark (Director)
  • Shirt Sponsor
  • Fans Director
  • Raith Rovers SLO
  • Tyler Rattray Raith Rovers WFC Captain
  • Marine Penman 

Apologies I don't know all their names and may not have matched names to positions correctly. Let me know of any errors.

Andy Mill and the Fans director are one and the same.

Our match day announcer has also just jacked it.

6 minutes ago, Michael W said:

The match day announcer has gone as well. 

1 minute ago, renton said:

Andy Mill and the Fans director are one and the same.

Our match day announcer has also just jacked it.

Cheers guys.

4 minutes ago, John MacLean said:

Would a genuine mea culpa do the trick? A 'we can now see that we got this 100% wrong and we unreservedly apologise to our own fans and wider football community' type of thing. 

Personally I don't believe that the RR BoD are rape apologists. Rather that they have just massively fucked up. I reserve the right to change that opinion though should Goodwillie actually pull on a Rovers' jersey and play for them. 

That would require a level of humility from Sim that I don't think he has. He's probably sitting there wondering what all the fuss is about.

Chris McLaughlin on Radio Scotland said that Goodwille had paid his victim £50k, is that actually the case or did he not declare himself bankrupt?

2 hours ago, cameron2000 said:

Everyone left, right, centre is withdrawing funding, sponsorship etc from the club. Surely you’re going to have to cancel his contract even if it means he gets a ridiculous pay off. Keeping him could effectively kill your club based on the reaction.

A pay off* without those responsible personally stumping up the cash means if fans and sponsors return they know their money will be going to him until it's paid off, not exactly a great way to get those groups back onside in order to keep the club going.

(*probably what the c**t wanted, find a full time club stupid enough to sign him and then take the money after the backlash)

Edited by Ginaro