The New Raith Rovers Thread

2 minutes ago, monthefife said:

Given the justified furious reaction, surely a U-turn is imminent? What the hell were the club thinking here? 

Madness isnt it. I cant see a U-turn now, all these people resigning likely means they have spoken with the board and they aren't willing to budge

14 minutes ago, John MacLean said:

With domestic loans still possible up to end of February could they loan him back to Clyde? What that say about Clyde?

Yeah it's not as simple as just slipping back to Clyde and it all goes away. It's become too high profile.

While Clyde were happy with him there, largely under the radar, and would have been happy had this transfer never come about, that won't be the case if they take him back.

So that's the following who have quit since the Goodwillie announcement:

• Andrew Mill (Director and Fans Director)
  • Bill Clark (Director)
  • Val McDermid (Main Shirt Sponsor)
  • Tag Games (Sponsor)
  • Margie Robertson (Raith Rovers SLO)
  • Tyler Rattray (Raith Rovers WFC Captain)
  • Marie Penman (Raith Rovers Community Foundation Employability Project Delivery Officer)
  • Johnny MacDonald (Stadium Announcer)
  • Numerous supporters

Apologies I don't know all their names and may not have matched names to positions correctly. Let me know of any errors.

Edited by RiG
Updated with more departures.

3 minutes ago, rb123! said:

The fact all these people are resigning makes it look more like McGlynn is the one which has forced it through!!

A genuine question, would Rovers fans want him to resign if that's the case?

It’s clearly McGlynn, with the approval/encouragement of Sim and Karen McCartney and the approval of 4 out of 6 directors that have seen this through. I said before I don’t think there’s an outcome where this is “made right” where McGlynn can remain in post. I suspect Goodwillie was presented as his top target and he probably even did some convincing to get the backing of the powers that be. I also think, partly because of her connections, Karen would be gone if the management left. Sim’s position is a bit more complicated. He owns the club.

so that’s four board members plus McGlynn…….and you would imagine McGlynn was the band leader wanting to sign him (unless the board do the recruitment………aye right.).

I thought our Q&A last October would be the exemplar demonstration of how a Board should go about destroying themselves and alienating their fan base. That was how I felt until last night.

The Raith board have clearly come up with a strategy to achieve a much more thorough outcome that is a) faster and b) much longer lasting and c) carries no likelihood of ever being seen as “one day we will look back and laugh at this”.

The only downside is that it is much more expensive than hiring a function room at the Inchyra Hotel for an evening.

Just now, Enigma said:

It’s clearly McGlynn, with the approval/encouragement of Sim and Karen McCartney and the approval of 4 out of 6 directors that have seen this through. I said before I don’t think there’s an outcome where this is “made right” where McGlynn can remain in post. I suspect Goodwillie was presented as his top target and he probably even did some convincing to get the backing of the powers that be. I also think, partly because of her connections, Karen would be gone if the management left. Sim’s position is a bit more complicated. He owns the club.

I'm not sure there's a way to force Sim to sell up but fan-ownership would be my preference going forward. 

5 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Yeah it's not as simple as just slipping back to Clyde and it all goes away. It's become too high profile.

While Clyde were happy with him there, largely under the radar, and would have been happy had this transfer never come about, that won't be the case if they take him back.

I think the bit in bold probably accounts for much of Rovers' decision to sign him notwithstanding that there had clearly been negative reaction even to the suggestion of him signing. 

As a result of the passage of time since his actions, subsequent civil court judgement and with him having a low profile playing League 1* an 2 with Clyde, a club with a small fan base, they've massively underestimated the reaction to this. 

*Just as a largely irrelevant aside, he was garbage when I saw play against Thistle for Clyde last season. 

Four to two suggests six out of the seven directors voted for this. I'm going to assume Sim wasn't involved in the decision making process. Given the two subsequent resignations, Raith Rovers now literally have a board of rape apologists whom care more about a man's ability to kick a ball than a woman's life. 

I sent a very strongly worded email to the SLO and club this morning before Margie resigned. I was very glad to hear she shared my views and passed my email onto John Sim and Karen Macartney. As I stated last night, I will not be back until he is gone but wider changes are needed than just removing Goodwillie from the club. I see no outcome where the club gets fans back on side with the current BoD and McGlynn still in charge.

As per yesterday, I am absolutely disgusted at the club and embarrassed about the whole situation. A lifetime of supporting the team, including years of volunteering ruined by a very preventable situation. I am also very glad to see fans of other clubs be in support of (the majority of) Raith fans, no rational minded person would want this offender at their club. I want nothing to do with Raith Rovers until these changes are made.

What a dreadful horror show the last several hours have been for Raith and rightly so.

It is absolutely unbelievable and shocking that a manager or board would even consider a very despicable character like Goodwille who shockingly and unforgiveably has shown no remorse or guilty to the woman whose life has been ruined by his despicable actions.

It was clear that there was going to be a massive and very negative reaction from the vast majority of people to this and given this fact I can not believe that such a bloody idiotic decion to sign him was made last night.

To those who have resigned from their posts in the club over this, the woman's team captain has quit and fans who no longer wish to attend and would want refunds or to tear their season tickets up I have every sympathy for you and can understand the massive amount of anger and outrage caused by this.

Raith may not be my supported team but I can very well understand how people have felt massively betrayed and let down by the signing of Goodwillie.

Regarding the directors. Sinton is Sim's lackey and was originally at the club as Sim's proxy while Sim was in Thailand - so you can count his vote as always going with Sim. I don't know much about McDonald, but Morgan is a senile old fucking idiot who probably thought he was being asked if he wanted a sausage roll.

Clearly, McGlynn has driven this, couched it in football terms and does seem to think highly of The Rapist in terms of his footballing ability. He's gotten Sim on board and that's been the end of it. Sim has come across to me in the little moments I've heard him speak as quite single minded and tone deaf to mood.

Edited by renton