The New Raith Rovers Thread

But this is not a credible argument, because signing a 33 year old forward from the league below is really not the golden ticket to take them there at all. 
Their actual chances of promotion are probably either side of 10% regardless.  

Aye this

The fact that McGlynn came out and proclaimed how much this will boost their chances shows, that not only has he made a severe lack of judgment in going along with this, he also vastly overestimates how good Goodwillie is.

Raith Rovers management and Board of Directors are a fcuking disgrace. It would send a strong message if Raith Rovers fans and away supporters were to boycott future matches. 

The CEO who may have signed off on this deal is a woman. That is unbelievable.

The people I feel sorry for are all the victims and families of such crimes. 

If anything positive can come from this is that these crimes are discussed within our society and we see a massive reduction moving forward in such assaults.

The only solution I can see is that his contract is terminated with immediate effect.

Admit your error of judgment Raith Rovers and make a donation to a Rape Scotland charity. 

Edited by SuperSaints1877

I'm still struggling to comprehend what the club has done here.

I've supported the club for almost 30 years and for a long time it was a massive part of my life.  Even when I was at Aberdeen Uni in the late 90's I still travelled almost every week to watch them (I once caught a bus at 7:20 to travel to Stranraer to see us lose 2-0).

When I moved to London for a year in 2004 I stopped going but got right back into it when I moved back to Glenrothes and had a season ticket until a few years ago.  I moved away and had kids so other things started to become more important.  I guess the point of this is that when people stop going to games regularly and find other things to do on a Saturday it's easy to simply get out of the habit of going to the football.  Some of those who stop going because of this may never become regulars again.

I actually took my wee boy to his first game when we played Falkirk in the Scottish Cup and was looking forward to taking him to Stark's for the first time.  That will now not be happening and I honestly don't know if I can ever feel the same about the club again.

The reaction of the vast majority of fans on here (from all clubs) has been fantastic but there are a few Rovers fans who make me feel that a football stadium may not necessarily be somewhere I would want to take him anyway.

Just now, RiG said:

With all these people, of varying levels of influence leaving their posts, it makes you wonder who wanted this signing and, potentially, forced it through.

Says in that article Clark and Mills were outvoted 4 to 2. 

1 minute ago, RiG said:

With all these people, of varying levels of influence leaving their posts, it makes you wonder who wanted this signing and, potentially, forced it through.

Must be the manager 

7 minutes ago, Raith25 said:

They 100% won’t tear up the contract, you aren’t linked with a player for a month more or less, weigh up the pros and cons and then get rid of him within 24 hours. I think he’ll be in the squad tonight and board will try and ride the storm for a week or two until it dies 

you've probably shelled out the best part of £50k to sign him, no chance the contract will be getting ripped up.

8 minutes ago, Piehutt said:

absolutely and that becomes a different issue as to whether it is worth it for Raith to sign him and make him a high profile employee (which he wouldn't be in other professions).

Probably getting a PL quality player on lower level Championship money. Is it worth it? 

I think it's fair to say it hasn't been worth it and I assume Raith are looking at how they can roll this back to get fans and sponsors back onside and not break any employment or contractual laws. No doubt they will be eating the salary for an extended period. 

I don't think he's a Premiership quality player. He broadly failed in his last three spells in the division with Dundee United, Aberdeen and Ross County. He may well be a good player at the Championship level, he hasn't played in this league before but obviously scored a lot of goals in the league below.

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

I don't think he's a Premiership quality player. He broadly failed in his last three spells in the division with Dundee United, Aberdeen and Ross County. He may well be a good player at the Championship level, he hasn't played in this league before but obviously scored a lot of goals in the league below.

fair enough. But presumably getting the player on a discount compared to what he might cost on football basis alone.