The New Raith Rovers Thread

6 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

Being cynical too, I'd wager getting promoted to the Premiership is worth more than Raith's total sponsorship income. 

But this is not a credible argument, because signing a 33 year old forward from the league below is really not the golden ticket to take them there at all. 

Their actual chances of promotion are probably either side of 10% regardless.  

I wonder if this is going to end in total (and richly deserved) humiliation for Goodwillie. Rovers may well have to immediately and very publicly rip up his contract. Previously he was playing at a low level and somewhat flew under the radar. Outwith P&B and the knowledgable scottish football punter, no one really paid much attention to him. Now even the casual observer knows all about it. He may well end up back at Clyde shortly, marginally better off financially, but with the entire country having been reminded that he is a rapist p.o.s.

Hopefully get catches a career-ender in his first game back, the c**t. 

1 minute ago, virginton said:

But this is not a credible argument, because signing a 33 year old forward from the league below is really not the golden ticket to take them there at all. 

I'm with you. The gamble is not sane to me at any point but that's what I see it as.

1 hour ago, Paco said:

Hard to disagree with this unfortunately, and yesterday at this time I’d have given McGlynn a lifetime contract.

I presume there is little chance of Goodwillie playing tonight. It would be at huge cost to the club/Sim but the contract could be ripped up before he plays. It doesn’t remove the very, very bitter taste in the mouth but it’s about all we could do at this stage to resolve.

1 hour ago, Enigma said:

I imagine that’s probably what has happened here. There just isn’t a scenario where this is “made right” and McGlynn and Smith stay. Could be looking for a new manager soon. As big a red letter day as there’s ever been for Raith Rovers.

Tearing up the contract, at whatever cost, is obviously the only way the road to redemption can start, but my initial reaction is that's not going to be anywhere near enough, I also need to see consequences for those that made the decision. Since that presumably includes Sim and there's no prospect of him going anywhere in a hurry the next bit is probably irrelevant - but it's very difficult for me to see how it can not also include McGlynn. And that's really quite upsetting, having hitherto held him in such unwavering high regard right from the early days of his first spell.

10 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

Being cynical too, I'd wager getting promoted to the Premiership is worth more than Raith's total sponsorship income. 

Clearly that's the aim. In which case I'd wager they are going to fail on two fronts here. 

Just now, virginton said:

This was what I was thinking too. At least with the interest Falkirk showed, it made a shred of sense (from a footballing POV). He would get them out the league and save them from having to become part time and stuck in a cycle of hybrid employment and financial oblivion.

He's been playing L1/L2 football for around 4 seasons now. There really is no metric with which this can be measured that makes any sense whatsoever.

They've hit the home page on BBC and Sky Sports.

Their board would have known there'd be a good degree of outrage but I think they still grossly underestimated the reaction, coverage and damage this has caused to Raith as a club.

What the hell do Rovers do now? 

They surely won't play him? 

And they can't just sack him/rip up his contract no matter how much, retrospectively, they might wish to do so. 

Do they pay him off and cancel his registration with all the expense that comes with? Seems to be the only viable option to me. Would that be enough to get back onside those that have withdrawn their support, financial or otherwise, as a result of the signing? 

Of all the bad decisions made by football clubs this has to be just about fucking worst of them all. Thank god it wasn't made by my club. 

Edited to Add: With domestic loans still possible up to end of February could they loan him back to Clyde? What would that say about Clyde?

Edited by John MacLean

33 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

This is the big conundrum but the reality is that the judicial system should have dealt with it and it couldn't.

The guy has a right to contribute to society by working. It's up to individual employers to be principled from there.

It's going to be a very interesting case study into where the line of acceptability is. Sponsors running, fans boycotting, will make a powerful argument against anyone ever pulling a stunt like this again. As so many others have said I'm glad it's not us being the guinea pigs for this.

absolutely and that becomes a different issue as to whether it is worth it for Raith to sign him and make him a high profile employee (which he wouldn't be in other professions).

Probably getting a PL quality player on lower level Championship money. Is it worth it? 

I think it's fair to say it hasn't been worth it and I assume Raith are looking at how they can roll this back to get fans and sponsors back onside and not break any employment or contractual laws. No doubt they will be eating the salary for an extended period. 

We won’t get promoted, even with him in the team. If, they stupidly keep him and play him he is going to be under huge pressure and i imagine (possibly) boos from the raith fans. Mcglynn will end up trying to defend him, that will cause a rift between us and the coaching staff. Mcglynn will leave in the summer, a massive cloud hanging over him and the club.
I can see no good whatsoever coming from this, from a footballing or PR point of view. We are all over the media, gaining unwanted attention.

They 100% won’t tear up the contract, you aren’t linked with a player for a month more or less, weigh up the pros and cons and then get rid of him within 24 hours. I think he’ll be in the squad tonight and board will try and ride the storm for a week or two until it dies down