The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 minute ago, RavyDavy said:

It's not whataboutery. I'm not making any excuses for anyone. I just wondered if you thought his crimes were acceptable for the captain of a championship football club. Haven't seen Nicola Sturgeon tweeting about that. 

Look, if you're going to have morals, be consistent about it 

Did he rape someone as well?

8 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Lithgow wanking at young mothers pushing their kids in prams down the street is fecking horrendous mind you. God knows how it affected those poor women involved.  That's over the line when it comes to it too just not as far over as rape.

I did not say it wasn't. If you crave a for the record then you can have it - I totally agree.

We are discussing sexual violence here. Everything else is shameful whataboutery.

Just now, No_Problemo said:

I think there are quite distinct differences in the crimes. Organised crime groups take advantage of vulnerable young people, particularly those from poor backgrounds. They become sucked into this world, and end up in jail. Martindale is a fantastic example of rehabilitation and is now a role model for young people who are incarcerated or who have been on the same path that he has. 

On the other hand, Goodwillie didn’t come from a background of trauma/poverty which affected his decision making. He decided to take advantage of a vulnerable young woman. It isn’t appropriate to have him as a public face of a club that is supposed to be a community club. 

Rehabilitation can definitely have shades of grey. Should Goodwillie be allowed to be employed? Yes. Just not in any way where it affects his victim, and the involvement of other females in football. 

I’m just making a general point btw, nothing targeted at you! 

As was pointed out earlier he pleads that he's changed his ways but refused to hand over the proceeds of his crimes until forced to by the courts. That isn't someone full of remorse in my book.

4 minutes ago, Priti priti priti Patel said:

I think you have understood that differently to how I intended it.

I was intending to say that, in those paragraphs, people can read how and why the judges made their decision without having to read specifics of the physical acts involved. This may be easier for anyone who wants to know details of the legal findings but would be triggered by descriptions of the physical acts.

I am not claiming it is not a rape case, or should be comfortable reading. I am not minimising the nature of the case. I am just signposting a possibly less triggering part of the judgment which contains the Court's finding.

That's a better explanation of why you said what you said, fair enough.

12 hours ago, Michael W said:

Nail on the head. The club knew full well how this would be received and did it any way. Which compounds the misery, really. 

Fucking awful decision. 

I don’t think they did which shows how out of touch our board are and John Mcglynn is equally to blame , I feel sick to the pit of my stomach regarding the damaged that has been done to my club I’ve supported for 40 years , I’ve cancelled my donation to the players fund as of today 

I posted this about comparing David Martindale and ALan Lithgow to David Goodwillie in the Falkirk thread.

Lithgow was convicted of serious offences and it no doubt had a bearing on his release from Hearts.  Lithgow plead guilty and completed his punishment and, as far as we know, has lead a blameless life since.  

Martindale was again convicted of serious offences, he plead guilty and by all accounts has separated himself from crime since than - more than 15 years ago.  Not only has he served his sentence, he has paid back his proceeds of crime order fully.  He has worked his way up in football and shown himself to be of good character.

Griffiths has been convicted several times of minor criminal offences receiving fines.  They cast doubt on his character, he's clearly got a few attitude problems, but I don't think they would meet the test of stopping someone playing football for a living.

Goodwillie was found responsible for one of the most serious offences you can be - rape is second only to murder in terms of it's seriousness.  People get sentenced to life in prison for rape.  He also hasn't accepted any responsibility for it, he has repeatedly denied the facts of the case as established by the court.  

So Lithgow and Martindale - both convicted of serious offences but have accepted it, served punishments and shown themselves not to be bad characters.  Griffiths, probably a bad character but only been convicted of lower level crimes that probably wouldn't be a bar to someone getting a professional football contacts (although the racist chanting at another player is probably borderline, I think if that happened today it would be taken a lot more seriously than it was).

Goodwillie - found responsible for the most serious offence of any of those people and has accepted no responsiblity for it.  

I totally understand why clubs would want to sign him from a footballing standpoint - I'm no expert but he's probably the best striker playing at the lower two levels of Scottish football, clubs like Falkirk and Raith won't have a better chance to get a player like him.  But from a moral standpoint I think he's beyond the pale.  I would be raging if Caley signed him or tried to.

1 hour ago, shizzlemanizzle said:

I get it but this is pretty harsh. The club is far more than a board of directors and a manager. These people are transient custodians, the club is the fans that support it and on the whole are a decent bunch who are disgusted by what is going on. 

you’re right bud

i think the only solution is he asks for his contract to be ripped up.surely he can’t be looking forward to playing for raith when he realises the trouble his signing has caused.i doubt very much he would do that though

anyway i hope there’s a solution.good luck 

3 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I posted this about comparing David Martindale and ALan Lithgow to David Goodwillie in the Falkirk thread.

I wouldn't want Lithgow or martindale anywhere near my club.  I wouldn't have been back if we signed the likes either of them or goodwillie. 

10 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Slamming the club isn't nearly enough though for signing a raging sexual deviant though is it. 

I haven't noticed many Morton fans posting on here but the one I read stated he hasn't been inside Cappielow this season as a result of the signing.

I also do not have s season ticket this season and have not stepped foot inside Cappielow.

Another Morton fan is serving an 18 month ban from Cappielow for choosing to attend but vent his anger repeatedly instead.

What's your point?

15 minutes ago, RavyDavy said:

It's not whataboutery. I'm not making any excuses for anyone. I just wondered if you thought his crimes were acceptable for the captain of a championship football club. Haven't seen Nicola Sturgeon tweeting about that. 

Look, if you're going to have morals, be consistent about it 

There’s nothing remotely morally inconsistent with believing that rape is worse than assault, and that someone who committed one isn’t a bad as someone who committed both. 

Another sad part of this shitshow is just how bad some attitudes are towards the situation, as seen on here by some pieces of shit and elsewhere on social media. There's still a long way to go in that regard.

Sadly, there would be a significant number of fans from any club that would support this if the rapist signed for their team. I include my club in that. I think we can all picture actual examples of the types of wee cretins who would welcome such a signing at our clubs. I can see a good few faces in my mind from the Pars support that would be on board with this if Goodwillie signed for my team.

As Marshmallow posted earlier, these gurning wee scumbags would be signing crass songs about "Scoring whenever he likes", and thinking it was not only fine, but funny. Undoubtedly such will be heard at Starks tonight.

Another horrible element, tied to the above, is the nonsense that it will wind people up and that being a good thing. 

Also, the first mention of 0p in the £ will now have a very obvious retort. The thread for our game in April will be crazy.

38 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Should Martindale be allowed to manage at such a high level though given his conviction is for drug dealing? At least he's worked his way up from the bottom of the pile at Livingston I suppose. My main point is that people in football should be treated exactly the same way as anyone else who commits offences. It's far too easy just to pick up where you left off when it comes to football whilst others in employment outside have to confront a very different situation.

I suppose the difference is that Martindale has shown regret and remorse for his actions and genuinely seems to have been rehabilitated.

Goodwillie has done neither, and instead bemoans about the damage done to his career, rather than the damage done to the woman.

Even if the contract is ripped up right now, the damage has been done and the trust between board and investors/sponsors etc deteriorated, never mind the likes of the SLO and womens captain.  

Seriously, who in their right mind would have signed that off? 

3 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I suppose the difference is that Martindale has shown regret and remorse for his actions and genuinely seems to have been rehabilitated.

Goodwillie has done neither, and instead bemoans about the damage done to his career, rather than the damage done to the woman.

Again as said apart from him refusing to give up the proceedings of crime until forced.

1 hour ago, RH33 said:

I read bits of the court transcript but stopped, why? Because I'm a survivor and like the victim my case didn't make it to criminal court. I won't give details but the police requestion and requestion you on every detail of your statement. The trauma of that alone is horrific. I too was awarded a criminal injuries payment.

I've been a football fan since I was small and gone to matches from Scottish schools, to Scotland to Ross County and highland leauge. My youngest daughter plays football.

I refuse to even go to away county games while Mackay is in charge. 

Raith Rovers BoD and Manager have alienated their fans and probably will see away fans decide not to come and put money in the club. Val McDermott has already distanced herself as well. It will be heartbreaking for life long fans to see their club make such a horrific misstep.

This morning the victim will have woken to see, once again, her rapists name splashed across the papers. Still being paid to play football. 

Thankfully, male and female, can see the faults in this and the mysoginy and lads lads seem to be a small minority.

I once read that rape is the worst crime you can suffer and survive. 

If you need to talk to anyone about this mate don’t hesitate to message me or another level-headed poster on this site. Not been on it for long at all but seems like there is a lot of decent people.