The New Raith Rovers Thread

Sad to say but I can only see one outcome here and that's McGlynn leaving and SIM having to meet the cost of ripping up a huge contract. If that doesn't happen I can't see any way back for the club.

Hard to disagree with this unfortunately, and yesterday at this time I’d have given McGlynn a lifetime contract.

I presume there is little chance of Goodwillie playing tonight. It would be at huge cost to the club/Sim but the contract could be ripped up before he plays. It doesn’t remove the very, very bitter taste in the mouth but it’s about all we could do at this stage to resolve.

13 minutes ago, RH33 said:

No! No!

Please do not suggest that it may be easier reading. It should make any one reading it uncomfortable. It's a rape case. 

Sexual activity may have been missionary with lights out, the fact it was non consensual is the issue, any bon consensual sexual activity it rape.

I think you have understood that differently to how I intended it.

I was intending to say that, in those paragraphs, people can read how and why the judges made their decision without having to read specifics of the physical acts involved. This may be easier for anyone who wants to know details of the legal findings but would be triggered by descriptions of the physical acts.

I am not claiming it is not a rape case, or should be comfortable reading. I am not minimising the nature of the case. I am just signposting a possibly less triggering part of the judgment which contains the Court's finding.

Edited by Priti priti priti Patel

I've spent a chunk of time this morning wondering how I would have reacted had it been Thistle that had announced Goodwillie as a signing yesterday. Would it have been that one thing that would have caused me to turn my back on the Club I've been following for 45 years?

I'd like to think it would be. I'm just grateful not to have found myself in that position. Winning football matches is, obviously, important but are fans/clubs really that shallow that we can forgive any sin provided the person is mildly proficient at scoring goals?  

Certainly Raith have massively misjudged the outcry that this has caused. Perhaps in some people's eyes the passage of time has diluted the severity of his actions. 

To recap, and the Civil judgement is worth a read for those that somehow think that there was less scrutiny involved than a criminal trial would have involved, he raped a female who was in no condition to provide consent. That is rape. 

Edited by John MacLean

Just now, Smokerson said:

John McGylnn is hugely culpable here, without knowing the background here, I would imagine he wanted Goodwille and put a case forward for signing him in terms of what he would give Raith on the pitch. To then have it sanctioned really beggars belief.

He’s quoted as saying it’s a great signing. 

I was hoping to wake up this morning to a statement form the club saying they have made a mistake and terminated the contract. But with our main sponsor, the fans board rep, SLO and woman's captain all stepping away from the club it really looks like the club will not be terminating the contract. 

The damage is done. Every single board member should hang their head in shame! We will forever be known as the club that employs rapists. Disgusting. 

7 minutes ago, RiG said:

Your scrambling attempts at whataboutery are absolutely pathetic.

It's not whataboutery. I'm not making any excuses for anyone. I just wondered if you thought his crimes were acceptable for the captain of a championship football club. Haven't seen Nicola Sturgeon tweeting about that. 

Look, if you're going to have morals, be consistent about it 

13 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Should Martindale be allowed to manage at such a high level though given his conviction is for drug dealing? At least he's worked his way up from the bottom of the pile at Livingston I suppose. My main point is that people in football should be treated exactly the same way as anyone else who commits offences. It's far too easy just to pick up where you left off when it comes to football whilst others in employment outside have to confront a very different situation.

I think there are quite distinct differences in the crimes. Organised crime groups take advantage of vulnerable young people, particularly those from poor backgrounds. They become sucked into this world, and end up in jail. Martindale is a fantastic example of rehabilitation and is now a role model for young people who are incarcerated or who have been on the same path that he has. 

On the other hand, Goodwillie didn’t come from a background of trauma/poverty which affected his decision making. He decided to take advantage of a vulnerable young woman. It isn’t appropriate to have him as a public face of a club that is supposed to be a community club. 

Rehabilitation can definitely have shades of grey. Should Goodwillie be allowed to be employed? Yes. Just not in any way where it affects his victim, and the involvement of other females in football. 

I’m just making a general point btw, nothing targeted at you! 

13 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Alan Lithgow did not rape anyone. Try again. (Actually, just stop).

And for the record, plenty of Morton fans are still slamming the club at every opportunity for the decision to sign him, 6 months on.

Slamming the club isn't nearly enough though for signing a raging sexual deviant though is it.