The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 minute ago, Buddie Holly said:

I wish raith nothing but bad luck in the future,bankruptcy would be nice

I get it but this is pretty harsh. The club is far more than a board of directors and a manager. These people are transient custodians, the club is the fans that support it and on the whole are a decent bunch who are disgusted by what is going on. 

7 minutes ago, HIT THE CHANNEL said:

I have been putting off writing here.

I am so ashamed. I have cancelled by players fund contribution and emailed the club. My group were also supposed to be sponsoring the game on Saturday. We have withdrawn this too. I can't go back until the player and those who sanctioned it are gone. The summaries from Renton and others above are exactly what I feel about it. 

At this level, its not even about winning, at all. We would support the Old firm if that was what it was about. Instead it is about pride in your local town, community feelings and a sense of belonging. All of that is fucked.

Very well put.

It is an enormous issue in our society that so many men are so desperate to defend actions such as Goodwillie’s, simply on the basis that he doesn’t have a criminal conviction for it.

I would be very, very interested to know if RavyDavy, Raith Raver and others like them would be willing stand in front of one of the many, many rape victims out there whose abusers did not face criminal proceedings, and tell them they weren’t actually raped, because nobody was criminally convicted for abusing them.

Surely the only way out of this for Rovers is to immediately terminate the Rapist's contract and any payment due to come directly out of the pockets of the fuckwits on the BOD who sanctioned it, before they themselves resign. McGlynn should be emptied as well. I genuinely can't see any other way they repair the damage here.

Aside from the obvious implications of signing a fucking rapist, wtf are they doing paying a fee for a mid 30s striker who's been playing p/t for the last few years?

Utterly mental strategy on every conceivable level.

Raith Rovers Ladies captain has now packed it in too and, really, who can blame her?

You’ve still got the statement to come, followed by all the rape apologists cheering his every touch if he plays tonight. 

Makes my skin crawl and I’m not even a Rovers fan. How stuck in the bubble do you have to be to give a shit if he’s a good player or not?

Just now, smpar said:

I would be very, very interested to know if RavyDavy, Raith Raver and others like them would be willing stand in front of one of the many, many rape victims out there whose abusers did not face criminal proceedings, and tell them they weren’t actually raped, because nobody was criminally convicted for abusing them.

Of course not as they are simply just bellends posting shite on the internet.

Think it's fair to say this decision has backfired massively on Raith and they have lost all control of the story. 

I also think they are legally hamstrung from saying very much. As the players employers, they have a duty to act in his interests, so I'm sure couldn't release a statement referring to the civil case found against him. 

I personally believe in rehabilitation and if you do, you can't really take the view that 'as long as it's not in my club, my sport, my league, something I care about' etc. 

Without speaking with the player it is tricky to know if he is remorseful or if he is worthy of rehabilitation. I'm not aware of any statement he has made to that end. 

My guess is Raith may well have to place the player on garden leave. 

Other point - I'm sure plenty of clubs have hired people with criminal convictions, burglary, assault etc. Be they players or staff. But suddenly there is a huge red line drawn at this?

There seemed to be a fair bit of support for David Martindale, for example, who did jail time for organised crime and money laundering. Who knows what impact his actions would have had on people's lives, and what else may have happened that he wasn't convicted of. 

2 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

You’ve still got the statement to come

If this calls him a "controversial figure" or something of that ilk I will loose my shit. It's not controversial to think rapist's should stay out the public eye make amends for their crimes and try to keep their head down and get on with life.

51 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Lets just compare the two then.

Benedictus charged with assaulting two men and verbally abusing his ex girlfriend. He realised he was in the wrong, made amends with the woman in question, reconciled their relationship and took steps to turn his life around (took up coaching and put his spare time into helping local kids). 

David Goodwillie was found guilty of rape in a civil court. He has never acknowledged that he done anything wrong and has publically bemoaned the fact that he is now bankrupt because of it. 

But please continue with your whataboutery, it's a really great look for you.

So one is OK because the serious crime was less serious than another.

Don't forget the restraining order 

If you're taking the moral high ground, neither should be anywhere near the club.

I get it but this is pretty harsh. The club is far more than a board of directors and a manager. These people are transient custodians, the club is the fans that support it and on the whole are a decent bunch who are disgusted by what is going on. 

Well said. I am 100% against it but will continue to go to games. The club will be here long after the board have gone. Will be interesting what damage this does to McGlynn’s relationship with the fans.

It is an enormous issue in our society that so many men are so desperate to defend actions such as Goodwillie’s, simply on the basis that he doesn’t have a criminal conviction for it.

I would be very, very interested to know if RavyDavy, Raith Raver and others like them would be willing stand in front of one of the many, many rape victims out there whose abusers did not face criminal proceedings, and tell them they weren’t actually raped, because nobody was criminally convicted for abusing them.

Of course not. They're just cowardly wee mummy's boys.

1 minute ago, Piehutt said:

Other point - I'm sure plenty of clubs have hired people with criminal convictions, burglary, assault etc. Be they players or staff. But suddenly there is a huge red line drawn at this?

I’m happy to confirm that I have a “huge red line” when it comes to rape.

I’d be really concerned by anyone who didn’t share that view.

5 minutes ago, Piehutt said:

Think it's fair to say this decision has backfired massively on Raith and they have lost all control of the story. 

I also think they are legally hamstrung from saying very much. As the players employers, they have a duty to act in his interests, so I'm sure couldn't release a statement referring to the civil case found against him. 

I personally believe in rehabilitation and if you do, you can't really take the view that 'as long as it's not in my club, my sport, my league, something I care about' etc. 

Without speaking with the player it is tricky to know if he is remorseful or if he is worthy of rehabilitation. I'm not aware of any statement he has made to that end. 

My guess is Raith may well have to place the player on garden leave. 

There seemed to be a fair bit of support for David Martindale, for example, who did jail time for organised crime and money laundering. Who knows what impact his actions would have had on people's lives, and what else may have happened that he wasn't convicted of. 

The most rational post I've read on this whole subject. 

1 minute ago, Cardle is Magic said:

I’m happy to confirm that I have a “huge red line” when it comes to rape.

I’d be really concerned by anyone who didn’t share that view.

but violent assault ok then?