The New Raith Rovers Thread

8 minutes ago, VillanoXIV said:

Not a Raith fan (Thistle FWIW) but clearly very distressing day for decent Raith fans....

It’ll be the same for Raith. For every (rightfully) angry punter on P&B, there’ll be two who just disappear and go watch Kelty or K&D or find another hobby and once the ritual’s gone, they’ll never return.

Nah, the decent ('tho cowardly) silent majority that are glad we've signed a quality player will greatly outnumber the virtue signaling loudmouths on here.

2 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Jesus Christ.

Also, to suggest that you *do* know someone who has been raped/sexually assaulted and still will happily support a rapist then that’s the saddest thing I’ve read on this forum.

Aye, you really are a sad b*****d.

7 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Jesus Christ.

Also, to suggest that you *do* know someone who has been raped/sexually assaulted and still will happily support a rapist then that’s the saddest thing I’ve read on this forum.

Saddest thing I have ever seen on here is some tragic wee townie fanny having the night of his life repeatedly posting "yous support a rapist". f**k off. 

3 hours ago, foreverarover said:

Followed by a swift statement from the club that the shirt sponsor has gone.

Did this actually happen ?

I would hope so having read her interview with Graham Spiers in Saturday's times when she said if this happens Raith fans should return their season tickets. 

Time will tell !!

14 minutes ago, RR #1 said:

Saddest thing I have ever seen on here is some tragic wee townie fanny having the night of his life repeatedly posting "yous support a rapist". f**k off. 

You do support a rapist, as does any Rovers’ fan who gives the club money while he’s employed.

I feel like i’ve stumbled into the fucking twilight zone, like this is a somehow all a really shitty joke or something.. I’m just bewildered that the club thought this was okay. 

There’s just some players you don’t go near with a 10ft barge pole. Ever. DG is one of those. No matter how good a player he still is, how much time has passed or how many of his former teammates say he’s a “good lad”. I don’t give a f**k if he’s going to end up our all time top goalscorer. Any success that comes our way with Goodwillie in the side would leave a very bad taste in my mouth. It’s about basic fucking decency towards victims of rape and sexual assault in our society. Something many are failing (deliberately or otherwise) to grasp. The message this sends from a supposed family friendly and community football club is shameful.

Beyond gutted with the club, chairman and manager with this signing. Just as things were starting to go well on and off the park. A cataclysmic disaster.

Edited by Leggy Blonde

So I wrote this and fired it off into John SIm's junk folder never to be read.
Thought I'd leave it here as my tear stained resignation.
Dear Mr Sim,   Please find linked, the judgement in the case of Goodwillie and Robertson: https://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/search-judgments/judgment?id=d22e28a7-8980-69d2-b500-ff0000d74aa7  
Criminal conviction for rape/sexual assault is a notoriously high bar - particularly in Scots law. He was, however, found liable in a court of law. The judge's verdict - upheld on appeal - is extremely clear and the details of the case are fairly grim reading.   I would not consider myself particularly reactionary when it comes to the application of law and order. I believe in rehabilitation - but rehabilitation begins with an admission of wrong doing, and then contrition. David Goodwillie has never approached that first point, he does not believe he did anything wrong.   How then, can a club that has painstakingly built a reputation as a community outfit taken this approach to signing someone who was found liable for a heinous crime who has never accepted any responsibility for it. I am a father to a 3 year old daughter. I want to help her to grow up confident that she has agency, bodily autonomy - the right to say no, the right to be treated with respect. How then, could I possibly ask her to take me seriously - how could I take myself seriously if I sit in Stark's every other week chanting his name? Cheering when we are winning? It's a team sport and you've made him, and by extension his previous actions a part of that team dynamic.   I appreciate your efforts over the years in trying to make Raith something other than a total financial basketcase. I appreciate your ambition to get Rovers to the Premier, and the financial rewards that brings. This however, is a short term stunt that threatens to alienate a good chunk of the Rovers support. You are trading a lot of community goodwill, and medium term stability for the hope that he replicates his good form in the league below and that translates into goals. If he doesn't, you'll have gained nothing and lost a lot. If he does, what you gain may not translate into something sustainable in the long term.   I would consider myself a dedicated supporter, I have had a season ticket pretty much every year since my University days, contributed to various fundraisers over the years.  I have travelled widely and often in support of the Rovers, and have - even on our worst Saturday afternoons - thoroughly loved the experience of being a Rovers fan.   No more, I can't condone this approach. I can't support it. I won't be back for at least the duration of his employment. Maybe I'm in a vanishingly small minority, and you won't miss those like me in your gate receipts. However, I think you have made a horrendous call here, and you are threatening to blow up a lot of what this club has come to mean to the community of Fife.   I really did love this club.   Regards.
 Could not have put it any better.

I'm still getting caught up on the hundreds of posts tonight but I genuinely couldn't put it better than Renton has from the previous couple hundred posts iv read so far. Ratm as well[emoji108]. Anyone really who hasn't accepted this from our support.
I'm fucking embarrassed to support raith rovers for the first time in my life and we've had some shitty moments. We are an absolute disgrace of a club with this.

1 hour ago, RR #1 said:

Well your wild guess would be bang wrong smart arse. 

I support Raith Rovers because I come from Kirkcaldy and my Grandad started taking me to the games when I was 4. I am 39 now. Players come and go. I have never looked at any of them as role models or have ever given two fucks about what they get up to off the pitch. Obviously I would prefer we didn't sign sex offenders but the fact that we have isn't going to stop me supporting the club because it the club I support and not anyone person individually. 

YOU don’t see them as role models… but there are lots of kids at the games and you can see how the female contingent of your support are reacting. And if your family has been affected by tape you should have a different stance on this issue/signing.  It’s got nothing to do with how long you’ve supported the club.  Nothing against you my friend, but this issue is more than just about supporting the club through thick and thin after umpteen amount of years 

Feared the worst when I saw this topic had over 20 unread pages from when I was last on last night.

A truly reprehensible and baffling decision from the club to sign this player; a decision that instantly undoes all the good work done off the pitch in the last few seasons and completely disregards the concerns raised by fans when the signing rumour raised it's head at the tail end of last year.

No doubt I'll still look out for Raith Rovers' results on a Saturday, but right now I can't imagine ever setting foot back in Stark's again.

RRFC have given me some tremendous highs over the last 30+ years, but see now? I'm done.

6 hours ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

The day we win promotion to the premiership as Goodwillie knocks in his 20th Rovers goal of the season, I can bet there’ll be a few fans on here singing his name!

I’d rather we get relegated now. Who the f**k sanctioned this. I won’t be back to Starks Park until this creep is gone. Goals or not, I won’t be celebrating any of them.  McGlynn and the board have a lot to answer. We’ll also lose a good proportion of our female fans too. 

6 hours ago, the west curve said:

Val McDermott will surely not put another penny into Raith now.

If McDermott has the courage of her convictions, she'll stand by her previous comments and pull the plug on her current sponsorship in the next day or so.

10 minutes ago, LowerLeagueFC said:

oh well i did say it would end up being goodwillie a few weeks ago and was shunned.

The deals been done since December, he was running about the park during the abandoned Clyde v. Airdrie game telling players he was off to Raith.

The only thing I'm surprised at is Raith actually still going ahead with it after the Val statement.

Well done, and my heartfelt sympathy to any of the Raith fans who have got their club telt on this.

Like many other Falkirk fans, the rumours around Goodwillie forced me to confront the idea of no longer having a football club and now here you are, at the last ditch with it all coming to pass.

This laddie is the worst of Scottish football, a true pig of a man.

What a horrible position your club have put you in, in pursuit of a few extra goals.

Fife c***s or not, I would welcome any of the newly footballing homeless of Kirkcaldy to TFS on a Saturday for a can and some utterly turgid entertainment, sans horrible rapist.

All the best lads.

And get it right up the apologists who are happy because he will score goals.

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Well done, and my heartfelt sympathy to any of the Raith fans who have got their club telt on this.

Like many other Falkirk fans, the rumours around Goodwillie forced me to confront the idea of no longer having a football club and now here you are, at the last ditch with it all coming to pass.

This laddie is the worst of Scottish football, a true pig of a man.

What a horrible position your club have put you in, in pursuit of a few extra goals.

Fife c***s or not, I would welcome any of the newly footballing homeless of Kirkcaldy to TFS on a Saturday for a can and some utterly turgid entertainment, sans horrible rapist.

All the best lads.

And get it right up the apologists who are happy because he will score goals.

Aye, instead of supporting the rapist signing club they could support the one that couldn't afford him.

Why not Clyde, they sold him?

No we won't. The attendance will be around the same pathetic number as always. Maybe if the people in the town actually came out and supported the club in greater numbers we would have more of a say in who we signed. The board obviously think that of losing a couple of hundred fans but increasing our chances of promotion by making this signing  is worth the gamble. 

"Maybe if the people in the town actually came out and supported the club in greater numbers we would have more of a say in who we signed" whit!!!!! [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

I'm not sure I understand Falkirk fans being relieved that they missed out and just being able to carry on as if they dodged a bullet. Reality is if you lot pumped us out the cup a couple of months back then DGW would be a Falkirk player. 

Seems both our clubs are morally bereft, we just have a few extra pennies at this particular moment in time.