The New Raith Rovers Thread

Wild that Rovers have gone ahead with this after the backlash when it was first mooted a while back. Surprised any full time club has taken the risk on him, massive reputational damage especially with a sponsor who’s been so vocal against it (and good to the club as far as I know). Feel for all the rovers fans who feel like they’ve (at least temporarily) lost their team today. 

11 minutes ago, pub car king said:

Let's see the spin on this from the club. 

I'm not even waiting for it. 

The club have basically disregarded every email or correspondence from fans who objected to the signing on the basis whether morally or just from an image standpoint. The club can talk all they want, but at the end of the day they've went ahead with a fucking daft move. They've isolated numerous of our fans, while also make the rest of Scottish football sit up and say "what the f**k are you thinking?". 

Yesterday, there were some horrendous takes on twitter for the situation with Mason Greenwood. Obviously the context is incomparable to that of Goodwillie. We've had directors come out in the past asking fans not to chant about "sex offenders" because it's seemingly upset opposition player's families. And now we sign a player who has been deemed guilty by a panel and four separate judges, whether at trial or in appeals, of rape. 

Genuinely unbelievable and no doubt a devastating day for many Raith fans. Some look as well for the announcement to just brazenly make no acknowledgement of the concerns of many fans, which were well known weeks ago when the rumours started.

With the first game after the signing being midweek it'll be hard to judge if there's any significant immediate impact on attendances, but what a horrible state of affairs.

Good luck to Raith fans having to put up with some of their fans defending a rapist in every match thread for the next two years, btw.

I just don't get the idea of what benefit the club thought it would give us. The risks associated with this signing are huge as shown by the reaction and the counter argument would be promotion, but after the last 6 weeks that's just not going to happen.

Genuinely astonished that the club sought to take the risk here.

No I don’t believe they’re on par at all. Let me make this clear, I utterly do not condone rape. Im simply playing devils advocate. As i said, I wasn’t keen on the deal. I’m not supporting him as an individual, but I will not waiver my support for my club.

If you attend games, you're supporting him. It's not difficult.

Guest TedCrilly
2 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

I can’t believe you’ve actually signed a rapist. Even ignoring the rivalry between our clubs, that’s really poor behaviour from a club that I thought were doing well in terms of community work in recent years.

Aye. Raith Rovers appeared to be doing all the right things on and off the part from the outside looking in. What a way to ruin that image.