The New Raith Rovers Thread

20 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Vaughan hardly played last season and Armstrong and Davidson were most definitely not better than we have this season. 

Regardless (LV played just more than a  1/3 of league games) even if we  say we were only missing KM,  RH, LV and Spencer that’s still more than a third of the team. It’s a big hit.

With Kilmarnock winning today that means there’s been an 8 point swing since we beat them at Stark’s Park on December 11th - from 4 ahead of them to 4 behind. If they win their game in hand it widens to an 11 point swing. Brutal form. 

None of this is terminal of course, but only if we turn around that form. Tuesday night is an absolute must win. Arguably Hamilton on Saturday too.

With Kilmarnock winning today that means there’s been an 8 point swing since we beat them at Stark’s Park on December 11th - from 4 ahead of them to 4 behind. If they win their game in hand it widens to an 11 point swing. Brutal form. 
None of this is terminal of course, but only if we turn around that form. Tuesday night is an absolute must win. Arguably Hamilton on Saturday too.

Fully agree with your final part, has to be 6pts from the next 2 games.

Lets be honest here, 2nd season in the 2nd tier, all we wanted to do was consolidate our place in this league, which hopefully we have done (next season could be tough on current form) but have we punched above ? Hell Yeah, are we expecting too much ?, probably,  McGlynnball has been non existant for the last few weeks but deep down it's still there, just need to find it again 👌

Edit, Brad Spencer is the one 😍

Edited by keyser_soze

It is definitely all about expectations. In reality, I’d be delighted to secure a play off given our size and resources available. The trouble is we were flying so high on that unbeaten run that it had everyone, including normally cautious me, thinking that challenging for the title was a real possibility. The fact that we’ve come off the rails so badly coupled with Killie and some of the bottom 5 changing managers and seemingly getting their act together, it’s frustrating. Personally, I blame that fog at Firhill. 

Today’s result at Rugby Park is a good one for us. We aren’t catching Killie, their January business is absolutely ludicrous for a Championship team and as you say they already have a big gap anyway. ICT are looking like our immediate rivals for 4th place right now.

It can all change quickly of course but I’d be happy enough to see Killie and indeed Arbroath start to beat ICT/Partick rather than hoping for draws. The title is gone, I don’t expect the manager to say it but he knows it and indeed hinted at it post-Arbroath. We need to focus on making the play-offs and you never know, if we peak at the right time like Dundee did last year after an indifferent season we might just do it.

3 hours ago, keyser_soze said:

Lets be honest here, 2nd season in the 2nd tier, all we wanted to do was consolidate our place in this league,

Certainly not what Sim, McGlynn etc have been saying.

26 minutes ago, Paco said:

Today’s result at Rugby Park is a good one for us. We aren’t catching Killie, their January business is absolutely ludicrous for a Championship team and as you say they already have a big gap anyway. ICT are looking like our immediate rivals for 4th place right now.

It can all change quickly of course but I’d be happy enough to see Killie and indeed Arbroath start to beat ICT/Partick rather than hoping for draws. The title is gone, I don’t expect the manager to say it but he knows it and indeed hinted at it post-Arbroath. We need to focus on making the play-offs and you never know, if we peak at the right time like Dundee did last year after an indifferent season we might just do it.

Inverness hoodoo aside, I think on our day we have the potential to beat anybody. The trouble is if we don’t secure 2nd then I think it’s highly unlikely that we’d have the capacity to make it through the play offs. Main thing in short term is we need to keep in the play off pack and not get detached. 

9 hours ago, roverthemoon said:

Inverness hoodoo aside, I think on our day we have the potential to beat anybody. The trouble is if we don’t secure 2nd then I think it’s highly unlikely that we’d have the capacity to make it through the play offs. Main thing in short term is we need to keep in the play off pack and not get detached. 

Spencer returning and hopefully a new striker in C.O.Y.R

Consolidation wasn’t what the manager and Sim wanted, they were quite clearly aiming for promotion. We have made some good signings, unfortunately they really haven’t made any great progress. The only comfort is having Stanton in that midfield. Really can’t wait for Spencer to come back, but we do need a back to basics poacher. 

I’m sure I heard the BBC commentary team mention that the wind which was swirling 1st half was more direct I n Morton’s favour 2nd half, that said there can be no disputing that the home side were better equipped and adapted far better to the conditions on the night.
I agree with the thoughts that last night there was some improvement, we were battling much better but there are still some guys not as good or strong as we had last season. I agree with the comments that Stanton is looking better and better, as he Williamson and Matthews adapt to each other they should get better still, once Stenny comes back there should be further improvement again. I also agree that we are missing Varians presence up top, both Gullan and Ross are quick and skilful and though not exactly lightweight their hold up play isn’t good/strong  enough, can’t understand why he didn’t play Poplatnik, especially after his goal and assist last week.
Lastly have to agree with the manager the loss of Berra eventually proved pivotal, Lang and Berra look far and away our best partnership. Bene doesn’t win enough in the air and Musonda is a shadow of the player he was last season.
I reckon last nights team featured  as much as 7 absentees from the usual teams that were cruising games last season. Macca, Davo, Hendry, Spencer, Tait, Armstrong and Vaughan. You can argue that we have brought some quality in (and we have) but we are currently missing more than we’ve gained.
There seems to be an unrealistic expectation that we should be better, IMO it’s gonna take time to get the quality level back up to what it was….if we can.

Agree to a point but Tait was poor this season, Armstrong is no better than what we have and Davo is a step down on what we have just now.

Hi folks. Was planning coming down from

Inverness for the game 19th of March and fancied getting an early bus from

Inverness rather than supporters bus so can have a visit to Kirkcaldy having never been before. Seems quite tricky getting a bus. Any ideas on how to do it. Is it Inverness to Perth then the bus to Edinburgh but where to get off etc? Any advice would be appreciated cheers 

15 minutes ago, jagster said:

Hi folks. Was planning coming down from

Inverness for the game 19th of March and fancied getting an early bus from

Inverness rather than supporters bus so can have a visit to Kirkcaldy having never been before. Seems quite tricky getting a bus. Any ideas on how to do it. Is it Inverness to Perth then the bus to Edinburgh but where to get off etc? Any advice would be appreciated cheers 

I'm in Caithness and from Inverness take the Megabus for Edinburgh and get off, to change buses, at the Halbeath Park and Ride if not staying in Edinburgh. You won't miss the P&R because it is well sign posted as you come into it. You can get a bus from there to Kirkcaldy bus station. Fifteen minute walk from there along High St and then Link St to the ground. 

Check out Stagecoach bus timetable for bus times from there to Kirkcaldy. Likely to be an Edinburgh to Dundee service but there are others e.g. Glenrothes.

I'm almost certain you won't get back the same day. Better to have a look at train times or maybe hook up with your Supporter's Club bus if you want back the same day. The railway station is also about 15 minutes walk away from the ground.

Hope that helps.

3 minutes ago, embow said:

I'm in Caithness and from Inverness take the Megabus for Edinburgh and get off, to change buses, at the Halbeath Park and Ride if not staying in Edinburgh. You won't miss the P&R because it is well sign posted as you come into it. You can get a bus from there to Kirkcaldy bus station. Fifteen minute walk from there along High St and then Link St to the ground. 

Check out Stagecoach bus timetable for bus times from there to Kirkcaldy. Likely to be an Edinburgh to Dundee service but there are others e.g. Glenrothes.

I'm almost certain you won't get back the same day. Better to have a look at train times or maybe hook up with your Supporter's Club bus if you want back the same day. The railway station is also about 15 minutes walk away from the ground.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for that. Yes it looked like getting back is an issue trains are wanting about £90 return crazy. If we didn’t get supporters bus down unlikely to get it back unfortunately 

Over an hour.  Try timetable for Kirkcaldy to Edinburgh for express services. There are a few e.g. Dundee or Glenrothes as already mentioned. 

As you see above there is the train but when does the last bus north leave Edinburgh is the big question? I'm sure you'll be cutting things very fine without considering an overnight stay in Auld Reekie.

Edited by embow