The New Raith Rovers Thread

15 minutes ago, Halbeath Raith Rover said:

Would you recomend avoiding the Victoria Bar and White Cockade south of the river ? 

As Calderon said already, yes I would avoid them, especially the White Cockade, which is essentially a locals bar with very little, if any passing trade. It’s years since I’ve been in either but didn’t feel welcome and I would be surprised if they had changed any.

The only decent pub in Torry, Campbells, shut down a few years ago.

Loads of pubs, of all types, in the Guild street, Market Street area. From old school boozers - Old Kings Highway, Spirit Level, Snuggery, Market Bar, Aitchie’s etc to more upmarket e.g. Craftsman, CASC. You’re also a very short walk from one of Aberdeen’s best pubs - The Prince Of Wales.

3 hours ago, Jilted John said:

I don’t think Liam Dick’s problem is with getting forward, I think it’s more that he can’t defend.

I’d go with…

Macdonald

Tumilty Lang Berra Dick

Matthews Stanton

Ross Gullan Zanatta

Varian

I don’t think Gullan is the type of player to play up top on his own, sitting as a 10 is prob his best position. Although I don’t rate Varian, in the absence of another striker, he’s probably the best we have for that role.

Isn't Tumilty suspended for this one

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

Shake them up a bit…maybe a little insane and certainly won’t be done, but you gotta get their attention somehow:

Thomson

Musonda McKay Lang Young

Williamson Stanton Arnott Ross

Mitchell Poplatnik

There's potential for a money spinning tie in the next round, that line up is definately bordering on insane lol 😉

although I tend to agree that would be an attention grabber

5 hours ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

I don't think so, it's been fresh numbers each time. It looks like the second group to get their name into the Banks o' Dee draw didn't get tickets but every other group did. 

Hopefully it was just an oversight on the page and supply narrowly outstripped demand and everyone's getting in. 

Club saying everyone who entered got tickets with a small amount available for general sale later this week 

2 hours ago, TxRover said:

Shake them up a bit…maybe a little insane and certainly won’t be done, but you gotta get their attention somehow:

Thomson

Musonda McKay Lang Young

Mitchell Poplatnik

I second this idea.

As Calderon said already, yes I would avoid them, especially the White Cockade, which is essentially a locals bar with very little, if any passing trade. It’s years since I’ve been in either but didn’t feel welcome and I would be surprised if they had changed any.
The only decent pub in Torry, Campbells, shut down a few years ago.
Loads of pubs, of all types, in the Guild street, Market Street area. From old school boozers - Old Kings Highway, Spirit Level, Snuggery, Market Bar, Aitchie’s etc to more upmarket e.g. Craftsman, CASC. You’re also a very short walk from one of Aberdeen’s best pubs - The Prince Of Wales.

Ah the auld pub crawl finishing up in the Metro with the cream of Aberdeen society…..those were the days…

2 hours ago, TxRover said:

Thomson

Musonda McKay Lang Young

Mitchell Poplatnik

If you were ever appointed Rovers manager I feel your managerial reign would be brief.

1 hour ago, pub car king said:

I'd give Arnott and Mitchel decent game time in this. RB is an issue but it'll be Musonda as there's little other choice to play there. 

Gullan behind a target man the rest will be the usual I suppose. 

It’s not a bad thought to try Mitchell up top with Gullan behind and Ross and Connolly wide. Certainly he’s likely to be as effectual as Varian or Pops have been recently. That leaves Varian, Pops and Zanatta as punch from the bench.

2 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

If you were ever appointed Rovers manager I feel your managerial reign would be brief.

Ah, but as a gadfly pundit I can freely suggest batshit insane stuff…as a manager, you can’t be nearly so off the wall. Either way, I’m not even qualified to coach a kiddie team.

52 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I thought Poplatnik looked more dangerous in 10 minutes on Saturday than Gullan managed in 90.

If we're playing one up top Gullan would be 3rd choice for that role for me. 

Gullan is never a one up top striker…he’s better suited as one of a pairing or as the second striker behind someone. With Vaughan, he could play up top because Vaughan behind was literally the same as a pairing because of his movement and gay abandon in the attack. Of all our signed forwards, Mitchell is likely the closest to a true #9. Gullan and Vaughan are both classic false 9’s, and Varian (at this stage) and Pops are more true 9’s who can’t/won’t shoot enough to score.