The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

As for championing the untested youth, it is for exposure in situations that allow it to speed development and give the staff insight into their potential.

I don’t think a title run in is the best time for that tbh Tx, hopefully the lads will be loaned out to see what they can do and gain proper experience, 

Edited by Been going too long

1 minute ago, Been going too long said:

I don’t think a title run in is the best time for that tbh Tx, hopefully the lads will be loaned out to see what they can do and gain proper experience, 

In the correct situations…

3 hours ago, foreverarover said:
5 hours ago, raith1974 said:
I'm shocked by some of the reactions on here. Here is a lad, 22 years old, quick, good left peg and versatile, can play up top, in behind and out left. What's not to like. The pace of him, Ross, Zanatta and the skill of Connolly surely puts fear in most defences. With a vert solid 3 in midfield with Spencer to return gives us a very solid team.

He is a good addition to the squad to build up in for next season. This season we need a different type of forward. Not another nippy we not so number 9 who can't get his head to a cross ball. We pump corners and crosses in and 99 times out of 100 there is nobody with ant height and stature to get on the end of it.

I agree and felt we made a mistake getting rid of big Gozie in the summer 🤷🏻‍♂️

3 hours ago, McGuigan1978 said:

Being an arsehole to a 66-year old woman on social media because she dared to have an opinion on something is extremely weird behaviour, and I'm not sure what they think they'll achieve. Every single comment I saw made the person look like a fu**ing idiot, but maybe that's just me. 

Do you not think she should have said to John Sim her feelings on this not give it I don’t want him to play for us as my name is on the shirt on social media? Reeks a bit of don’t you know who I am? I agree I don’t see the point in the guys having a go at her she won’t care what the average fan thinks of her,I can’t see us signing goodwillie and tbh the best thing for him is to finish his career at Clyde as they have always stuck by him and he has a career outside of football now and hopefully the story doesn’t tear it’s ugly head again, be interesting to see what people would think if we signed Leigh griffiths given he was “ texting “ a young lass. 

12 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Ugwu, a few moments apart, was total muck. Ball bounced off him like the side of a ship.

He definitely wasn’t an elegant footballer but I feel his physicality and unpredictability offered something different even for a nuisance factor. The guys we have brought in are technically better footballers but don’t have his physical presence, if it was me I would have kept if he wasn’t looking for a kings ransom 🤷🏻‍♂️

9 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Ugwu is one of these players who gets better the longer he's no longer at the club. He was decent, but injury prone. If we'd kept him, folk would've been raging he was injured for the start of the season. He's not shown anything out of the ordinary since leaving.

I agree with what your saying but have we really upgraded on him? Not sure tbh 

19 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Varian is just about as good as you’re going to get at unsettling defenders, being physical and a nuisance. He’s miles better than Ugwu was. It’s a shame he can’t seem to stick it in the net. 

He is a decent player varian and works unbelievably hard for the team , his style of play is bound to be hard to be consistent all year, hoping he does get a few more between now and the end of the season he definitely deserves it, poplatnik isn’t a bad player either just not sure he is suited to Scottish fitba 

5 hours ago, Been going too long said:

Be hard to get them some meaningful game time I feel better dropping down a league or 2 and play regularly imo 

Correct, I said exposure, not significant time. I was in favor of the loans earlier this year, and would support a League One loan for Mitchell (and, given recent signings, Arnott), and any loan for Mahady, Coulson and Bow.

8 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Varian is just about as good as you’re going to get at unsettling defenders, being physical and a nuisance. He’s miles better than Ugwu was. It’s a shame he can’t seem to stick it in the net. 

Is he? Our defence is about as porous as they come and Varian has been beyond anonymous when he's played. 

Surely if a striker is to unsettle a defence they should either have the physicality (Nouble, Ugwu, Todorov etc) or attacking movement that would lead to them taking up threatening positions, and thus goals? 

Varian does neither, which is ideal if you're playing against him. 

Gullan is a decent signing but won’t bring us the goals we need

That’s untrue. His goal record for us isn’t far off a goal every other game, most strikers would be more than happy with that. I’m struggling to understand the overwhelming lack of excitement of his signing. I don’t care if he’s a number 9, as long as he gets us goals which his record proves he does. Not only that, we’ve got the likes of him, Ross, Stanton, Vaughan tied down on good term deals.

8 hours ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

f**k me.

Do Raith need an academy? We had a great under twenties side who won their division two years on the bounce. What are any of them doing now? McKay is the only one still in the senior leagues, and clearly McGlynn doesn’t see use for him this season unless something drastic happens to our four first team quality centre backs. We have 6 apprentices, and if McGylnn has seen enough of them in training to sign then that’s good enough for me. 

6 minutes ago, Frankly, Mr Shankly said:

Do Raith need an academy? We had a great under twenties side who won their division two years on the bounce. What are any of them doing now? McKay is the only one still in the senior leagues, and clearly McGlynn doesn’t see use for him this season unless something drastic happens to our four first team quality centre backs. We have 6 apprentices, and if McGylnn has seen enough of them in training to sign then that’s good enough for me. 

Where did 5 off the apprentices come from ?   Fife Elite. Maybe not our own Academy but positive that the management team will still be looking CAS teams and local youth set ups for prospects.