The New Raith Rovers Thread

A big positive to this is another indication of the direction the club is going under McGlynn and how players buy into it and enjoy playing for us. In the last few seasons that's now Gullan, Hendry and Ross all been eager to re-sign for the club on permanent deals after loan spells despite interest elsewhere. 

I think you missed the point he was trying to make, he’s got 14 (according to Raith TV interview- wiki has it as 13) goals for us in 50 games.
Those 50 games includes some games where he was utilised wide or in front of a far worse midfield than we have now (i.e in his first loan spell).

He played 10 games for us in his first spell in front of that poor midfield and didn’t score.

Which means he’s got his 13/14 goals in just 40 games supported by a decent midfield- that’s a good return.
Thanks Stevo.

18 minutes ago, stevoraith said:

I think you missed the point he was trying to make, he’s got 14 (according to Raith TV interview- wiki has it as 13) goals for us in 50 games.
Those 50 games includes some games where he was utilised wide or in front of a far worse midfield than we have now (i.e in his first loan spell).

He played 10 games for us in his first spell in front of that poor midfield and didn’t score.

Which means he’s got his 13/14 goals in just 40 games supported by a decent midfield- that’s a good return.

They maybe didn’t count his play off semi-final goal against Forfar. I think it’s 9 in League 1, 4 in the Championship last season and one in the Play Off.

If my sums are right, and they probably aren't, he's averaged a goal every 230 odd minutes for us, which isn't bad, or a goal and an assist every 180 minutes, which is actually pretty good. 

I do agree that I was probably hoping for someone who will go out and manage 10 goals between now and the end of the season, but that probably isn't Gullan. However, if his other attributes mean that he can chip in with half a dozen or so and allow the other forward to start scoring again, then his own personal tally isn't so important. 

Without knowing anything about our finances, I'd still be a wee bit surprised if we brought another body in this window. As much as they might not be huge earners individually, three new players feels like it's a sizeable investment, so unless John Sim is feeling extra-generous, I wouldn't be surprised if that was us. 

I do think it's great that we're tying quality players down to long term deals. I always feel that having a consistent core in any team is a good thing, and even in the worst case scenario that we fall away this season and don't make the playoffs, with over a dozen players signed up already for next season, it feels like we might be in a good place to challenge next season again, and when was the last time we challenged at the top end of the second tier three years in a row? 

I'm glad we've had some good news today though, as I ended up down a rabbit hole earlier on Twitter, where I realised that some Rovers fans were going out of their way to give Val McDermid stick about what she said last week. 

Being an arsehole to a 66-year old woman on social media because she dared to have an opinion on something is extremely weird behaviour, and I'm not sure what they think they'll achieve. Every single comment I saw made the person look like a fu**ing idiot, but maybe that's just me. 

Anyway, regardless, I'm looking forward to Jamie Gullan's late winner against Inverness at the weekend to break the Caley Thistle hoodoo. 

I'm shocked by some of the reactions on here. Here is a lad, 22 years old, quick, good left peg and versatile, can play up top, in behind and out left. What's not to like. The pace of him, Ross, Zanatta and the skill of Connolly surely puts fear in most defences. With a vert solid 3 in midfield with Spencer to return gives us a very solid team.
He is a good addition to the squad to build up in for next season. This season we need a different type of forward. Not another nippy we not so number 9 who can't get his head to a cross ball. We pump corners and crosses in and 99 times out of 100 there is nobody with ant height and stature to get on the end of it.

22 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

I'm glad we've had some good news today though, as I ended up down a rabbit hole earlier on Twitter, where I realised that some Rovers fans were going out of their way to give Val McDermid stick about what she said last week. 

Being an arsehole to a 66-year old woman on social media because she dared to have an opinion on something is extremely weird behaviour, and I'm not sure what they think they'll achieve. Every single comment I saw made the person look like a fu**ing idiot, but maybe that's just me.

Yeah, saw that yesterday and (digitally) bit my tongue. There's a real irony in criticising a high profile person for "attention seeking" whilst tagging them in the tweet. 

16 minutes ago, foreverarover said:
2 hours ago, raith1974 said:
I'm shocked by some of the reactions on here. Here is a lad, 22 years old, quick, good left peg and versatile, can play up top, in behind and out left. What's not to like. The pace of him, Ross, Zanatta and the skill of Connolly surely puts fear in most defences. With a vert solid 3 in midfield with Spencer to return gives us a very solid team.

He is a good addition to the squad to build up in for next season. This season we need a different type of forward. Not another nippy we not so number 9 who can't get his head to a cross ball. We pump corners and crosses in and 99 times out of 100 there is nobody with ant height and stature to get on the end of it.

Aint that what Varian and Poppy are meant to do with their heads, like knockdowns for him or a. n. other to hit the target 

2 hours ago, Raith_Raver said:

I'm in the meh camp but there's a good chance he'll come good; he knows how we play, which is a plus, and surely he'll be better than what we have.

PS - On the other hand he's obviously enthusiastic about the Rovers and keen to do well; we could have brought a go-through-the-motions jobber in, a la Duku.

Yeah I'd agree with this. 

I like Gullan and you can tell that, like the likes of Hendry and Ross before him, he's obviously gained a real affinity for the club from his loan spells, but I view him as a good squad player rather than the player that's going to solve all our goal scoring woes. 

Edited by Ro Sham Bo

11 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Yeah I'd agree with this. 

I like Gullan and you can tell that, like the likes of Hendry and Ross before him, he's obviously gained a real affinity for the club from his loan spells, but I view him as a good squad player rather than the player that's going to solve all our goal scoring woes. 

We might not be finished in the transfer market or loan market. Some players will probably go out on loan now we have a larger squad. I can see Arnott going out at the end of January when we get a better idea when Spencer will return. Mitchell may well go out and Keatings can stay out on loan. If this happens JM may still have someone lined up to come in short term.

3 hours ago, TxRover said:

Meh, if true.

3 hours ago, TxRover said:

Meh, I hope I’m wrong.

I know it's all about opinions, but I find this an odd reaction to the signing from someone who continuously champions the untested youngsters in our squad like they are the next Mickey Cameron/Stevie Crawford, when in reality they've produced nothing of note for us. Gullan is a known quantity; we know what he's capable of and I for one am delighted he's signed on.

In McGlynn we trust

3 hours ago, renton said:

Tx was backing Luke Mahady heavily, I suspect.

Nah, loan again.

3 hours ago, Raithie said:

Mitchell shirley.

Not a terrible call.

3 hours ago, renton said:

Dave McKay probably.

Not so good a shooter.

3 hours ago, baillieinleeds said:

He’s gutted Mahady, Mitchell and Coulson haven’t had there shot. He’s still weeping salty tears about Mendy leaving methinks

No, Yes, No…Not.

6 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

If getting Gullan back means we can keep Zanatta out of the line up then there's definitely something to be said for it. 

Connolly, Gullan and Ross can be the three that support Varian. 

And Stanton and Williamson setting things up perfectly 

56 minutes ago, Sweaty Morph said:

I know it's all about opinions, but I find this an odd reaction to the signing from someone who continuously champions the untested youngsters in our squad like they are the next Mickey Cameron/Stevie Crawford, when in reality they've produced nothing of note for us. Gullan is a known quantity; we know what he's capable of and I for one am delighted he's signed on.

In McGlynn we trust

Gullan is a relatively known quantity that doesn’t, in my opinion, offer an answer to one of our questions. As a near replica of Ross, we get a glut of second striker/wingers rather than help at striker, IMO. He’ll be useful, and perhaps helpful, but I don’t see him as the answer.

As for championing the untested youth, it is for exposure in situations that allow it to speed development and give the staff insight into their potential.

3 hours ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

Yeah, saw that yesterday and (digitally) bit my tongue. There's a real irony in criticising a high profile person for "attention seeking" whilst tagging them in the tweet. 

Exactly this. Tagging a public figure in a tweet slagging them off is the ultimate ‘look at me, look at me’ behaviour.  Was such an odd take that I genuinely thought it was just a drunken rant which would be removed this morning. 

Brilliant to get Gullan back. Like others have said, he won’t be the saviour of our season alone but he does strengthen the side and I trust McGlynn to get even more out of him now he’s signed up for the long term. The squad is definitely looking stronger with more options than it was a few weeks ago.