The New Raith Rovers Thread

I was just thinking that I’ve not seen the Rovers lose in a while. I mean while I’ve been there in the flesh, but even online or on TV i’ve not seen us lose many games in the last couple of years.
The last game I was in attendance where we lost was Dumbarton in December 2019. The last time I saw us lose was the play-off with Dundee in May.
Since December 2019, in the games I’ve attended, my viewing record is W10 D2 L0. The Rovers really have been excellent for a while now.

If it wasn’t for all those birthday parties we’d be in the premier by now.

32 minutes ago, Beastie Russell said:

*cough* Brewster 

Brewster was a goal scoring midfielder before he signed for us who played as a number 10 supporting Dalziel. Williamson is a central midfielder who we have on loan from Rangers. I'm sure they would be happy us trying to convert their player into a forward. Plus why sign him in the first place if there wasn't a need for him to play midfield. 

We need an out and out striker or 2. If Gullan was to sign I would consider cancelling Poplatniks loan and still bring in a striker. 

Edited by raith1974
Added

2 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

Brewster was a goal scoring midfielder before he signed for us who played as a number 10 supporting Dalziel. Williamson is a central midfielder who we have on loan from Rangers. I'm sure they would be happy us trying to convert their player into a forward. Plus why sign him in the first place if there wasn't a need for him to play midfield. 

We need an out and out striker or 2. If Gullan was to sign I would consider cancelling Poplatniks loan and still bring in a striker. 

Not sure we have the option to cancel Pops unilaterally, but seeing as Gullan doesn’t really fall into the number 9 spot as clearly as Varian or Pops do, that’s a strange take. Now, both Varian and Pops fall at the prolific goal scorer hurdle as pure number 9’s, but they clearly, at least earlier this season, drew attention and opened up opportunities for our wingers and midfields. Gullan certainly isn’t a replacement for either, which makes me wonder where he’d play, for Pops or Varian, in front of Ross?

Maybe if we played 4-4-2, with Zanatta and Connolly wide and two strikers, but then we only use two midfields, which two? Stanton, to me, looks a starter already…Williamson looks promising…Matthews is solid and Spencer is coming back, eventually. What we need is a wee, nasty c**t of a player who thrives on pestering in the box and has a scoring touch.

10 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

I really hope the coaches are working overtime with Mitchell & Mahady for next season, we dont want to be going through this again 

If we sign a striker, I’d like to see Mitchell and Mahady both out on loan, to teams that will use them.

27 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Not sure we have the option to cancel Pops unilaterally, but seeing as Gullan doesn’t really fall into the number 9 spot as clearly as Varian or Pops do, that’s a strange take. Now, both Varian and Pops fall at the prolific goal scorer hurdle as pure number 9’s, but they clearly, at least earlier this season, drew attention and opened up opportunities for our wingers and midfields. Gullan certainly isn’t a replacement for either, which makes me wonder where he’d play, for Pops or Varian, in front of Ross?

Maybe if we played 4-4-2, with Zanatta and Connolly wide and two strikers, but then we only use two midfields, which two? Stanton, to me, looks a starter already…Williamson looks promising…Matthews is solid and Spencer is coming back, eventually. What we need is a wee, nasty c**t of a player who thrives on pestering in the box and has a scoring touch.

Its called having options and a strong bench. Losing Poplatnik frees up part of a wage if not all of a wage. That allows is to potentially bring in 2 players. As others have said Zanatta is of form, so having Ross out on the left and Connolly on the right. I agree Stanton looks a player and a starter, Williamson along side and Spencer to come back which may still be 4-8 weeks. Gullan could play in the hole as the most advanced a role Ross fills and Matthews could be held in reserve on the bench. 

18 minutes ago, mo83 said:

A take it we are keeping James Keatings for the rest of the season? Can't recall you boys saying that he will be back with you lot.

Can't see him having any future at Rovers. We're in the market for an additional forward and we've extended Ethon Varion's loan from Stoke. I'd imagine the way he went out on loan claiming full fitness when we'd said he wasn't will leave a bit of a sour taste. He can't play for any other club given he's features for two teams already this season, so I'd expect it's most likely he'll be with you until the end of the season, and then either released or given a season long loan elsewhere. 

20 minutes ago, mo83 said:

A take it we are keeping James Keatings for the rest of the season? Can't recall you boys saying that he will be back with you lot.

McGlynn gave an update on all signings and loanees; Keatings was the only one who wasn't mentioned. He even said that McKaywas returning from Edinburgh City, so we can take it from that he'll be staying with you.

I don't see keatings having much of a future here. He didn't do much to look like he was up to much here and hasn't done much at montrose. It's ashame because his record at this level is fairly positive.

What we need might not be available but I don't really see a need for signing gullan. I think he's a decent enough player but is massively overhyped by our supporters. He isn't the answer to our goalscorer problem though.

I trust mcglynn to get the right type of striker in though. Hopefully one that can actually put the ball in the net when presented with a chance. Even one that could be in the right place to connect with the balls we are putting in the box would be an upgrade in all honesty.

20 minutes ago, grumswall said:

I don't see keatings having much of a future here. He didn't do much to look like he was up to much here and hasn't done much at montrose. It's ashame because his record at this level is fairly positive.

What we need might not be available but I don't really see a need for signing gullan. I think he's a decent enough player but is massively overhyped by our supporters. He isn't the answer to our goalscorer problem though.

I trust mcglynn to get the right type of striker in though. Hopefully one that can actually put the ball in the net when presented with a chance. Even one that could be in the right place to connect with the balls we are putting in the box would be an upgrade in all honesty.

F**k it, start Mitchell. What the f**k do we have to lose from trying it out?