The New Raith Rovers Thread

16 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

Was it Dunbar where McGlynn picked up some mop-haired teenager in his first spell, a sort of prototype Scottish Javier Amaya? Or was his surname Dunbar? Joe Dunbar, maybe? 

He signed from Newtongrange Star.

17 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

Was it Dunbar where McGlynn picked up some mop-haired teenager in his first spell, a sort of prototype Scottish Javier Amaya? Or was his surname Dunbar? Joe Dunbar, maybe? 

Dunbar came from Newtongrange Star.

We also signed a couple of guys from Musselburgh in McGlynn’s first spell Paul Currie and another Paul? One went on to play for a couple of the Angus clubs for a few seasons but the other went back down to the juniors. There was another lad, Andrew Cook, who I think was signed from Edinburgh Uni around that time too.

Edited by Enigma

18 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

Who was the winger we signed who was deaf? 

Phillip Hagen. Going back quite a bit there - possibly the Anelka season? 

There were a few random players brought in when Dave Martin was DoF. Remember a guy called David Evans from Tayport as well. He seemed to really struggle hitting a football, which is never great for a striker. 

22 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

I remember Andrew Cook. He was actually pretty decent if I remember rightly!

Philip somebody. 

He was a Dave Martin signing but he was never up to it. 

I think he had a decent junior career after leaving us. 

Just now, Michael W said:

There were a few random players brought in when Dave Martin was DoF. Remember a guy called David Evans from Tayport as well. He seemed to really struggle hitting a football, which is never great for a striker. 

Yeah Evans had scored a bucket load for Tayport but he was miles away from being at the level required. 

11 minutes ago, Michael W said:

The great Dave Martin story I heard was that the pen was poised to be put to paper on a contract for a youth player who Watford were looking to offload… Ashley Young. I’m sure footballs full of those kind of stories and I’m not sure quite how close we were to actually signing him or how true it even is but it’s a thought.

Edited by Enigma

56 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

I remember Andrew Cook. He was actually pretty decent if I remember rightly!

Cook was OK, but was a wee bit Bambi on ice at times. He was pretty much second choice behind Ellis that season.

1 hour ago, Enigma said:

We also signed a couple of guys from Musselburgh in McGlynn’s first spell Paul Currie and another Paul? One went on to play for a couple of the Angus clubs for a few seasons but the other went back down to the juniors. There was another lad, Andrew Cook, who I think was signed from Edinburgh Uni around that time too.

Currie and Tanser?

Levein signed them, believe it or not.

The best player to come through the junior ranks in the league just now has to be mikey mckenna. Would have liked to see him at raith, but he's part time at arbroath and runs his own electrical business. He stays In musselburgh, rovers would have been easier travelling,  but I suppose the safety net of guaranteed work through his business is a good thing for him. I often take in some mussy athletic games, and there are some good players in the lower leagues that raith could  have a look at.

17 minutes ago, philpy said:

The best player to come through the junior ranks in the league just now has to be mikey mckenna. Would have liked to see him at raith, but he's part time at arbroath and runs his own electrical business. He stays In musselburgh, rovers would have been easier travelling,  but I suppose the safety net of guaranteed work through his business is a good thing for him. I often take in some mussy athletic games, and there are some good players in the lower leagues that raith could  have a look at.

I think our own former Raith man Kevin Twaddle also came from the juniors.  He was signed by St Johnstone from Dunbar I think ? 

9 minutes ago, Frank conner said:

On Berra or Ellis?

Both I think!! 

Berra could be a potential manager, maybe lower league first. But hey Nicholl was a first time manager and see what he achieved, albeit Martin Harvey was pivitol in that early success