The New Raith Rovers Thread

Just now, McGuigan1978 said:

I had it in my head we were the last unbeaten team in Britain about 86/87 or so, and Grandstand done a feature on us that featured an interview with Andy Leigh, then Meadowbank beat us at Stark’s Park that afternoon. 

The Grandstand game was in 1976 where QP beat us, we were away to Stranraer (we won 1-3) the following week so anyone travelling wouldn't have seen the item. Just imagine a world with no video recorders or iPlayer?

43 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:

Well that's that gubbed. I can remember when we were the last unbeaten team in UK and Grandstand cameras (I think) came to Stark's to make a feature. We got beat that day, by Clydebank, I think. It was a very long time ago.

It was Queen's Park.

2-0

Edited by Raith_Raver

5 hours ago, McGuigan1978 said:

I had it in my head we were the last unbeaten team in Britain about 86/87 or so, and Grandstand done a feature on us that featured an interview with Andy Leigh, then Meadowbank beat us at Stark’s Park that afternoon. 

There is every chance I’m slavering though. 

From memory, I think that’s true. We were definitely the last unbeaten side in Britain in 86/87. Meadowbank won 3-2 in the game after we were on the TV (I think). Remember they were 3-1 up and we scored late on, then thought we’d equalised but it was ruled offside.

Too many draws that season from us eventually allowed Meadowbank to win the league, although if we’d won it then we wouldn’t have had that day down at Stair Park winning promotion. 

15 hours ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

The Grandstand game was in 1976 where QP beat us, we were away to Stranraer (we won 1-3) the following week so anyone travelling wouldn't have seen the item. Just imagine a world with no video recorders or iPlayer?

Spot on. The last Saturday in January 1976. I had no bother watching Grandstand (or whatever it was called then) as we were all snowed in that weekend. Roads blocked until Sunday afternoon. Just, what was back then, a fairly normal wintry weekend in Caithness. An easy one to remember 😊

Edited by embow

My cousin and his wife were down from Inverness that weekend and he asked me to take them to the game. He hadn't seen the Rovers since the 1950's and hasn't seen them since. Apart from that he had a guid belated family New Year. It was also in the days when you got to take a wee carry out into the game so a half bottle of whisky was purchased from Blankensteins in Ramsay Road for the game just to keep the cold at bay.

Also, if I remember correctly was there not a camera placed up on the floodlights not sure if it was used during the game but maybe for the introduction I may be very wrong about this as it was a good few years ago.

Embow found a thread on YouTube for the Scottish cup semi-finals in 1951 featuring Raith against Celtic and Motherwell against Hibs it was on a Pathe newsreel of the time. I am afraid I can't load it onto a Rovers site as I am not that clever with computers but if you could I am sure that there will be a few people interested to view this. Celtic won 3-2 but Rovers gave them a good game. Anyway I hope you can manage to do this many thanks.

9 minutes ago, steakngravy said:

Embow found a thread on YouTube for the Scottish cup semi-finals in 1951 featuring Raith against Celtic and Motherwell against Hibs it was on a Pathe newsreel of the time. I am afraid I can't load it onto a Rovers site as I am not that clever with computers but if you could I am sure that there will be a few people interested to view this. Celtic won 3-2 but Rovers gave them a good game. Anyway I hope you can manage to do this many thanks.

Motherwell v Hibs first followed by Raith v Celtic in front of 85000.

Edited by Beachbum

Who would rovers fans like to see arrive come January? We’re in a fortunate position right now that we’ve a strong starting XI who are all fit so anybody we find would have to improve us, rather than plugging a gap. We’ve got to consider though that Varian could and Tait almost certainly will be away. I’d be made up if we could get Gullan in on loan and maybe sign a PCA with us for the summer. Hibs still need home for cover now but I think they’ll be bringing in bodies.

Edited by Enigma

8 minutes ago, Enigma said:

Who would rovers fans like to see arrive come January? We’re in a fortunate position right now that we’ve a strong starting XI who are all fit so anybody we find would have to improve us, rather than plugging a gap. We’ve got to consider though that Varian could and Tait almost certainly will be away. I’d be made up if we could get Gullan in on loan and maybe sign a PCA with us for the summer. Hibs still need home for cover now but I think they’ll be bringing in bodies.

McGlynn sounds fairly confident of keeping Varian.

I think we only need two players - another midfielder in to replace Tait and if we can add a bit of extra quality up front that could make all the difference.

McGlynn sounds fairly confident of keeping Varian.
I think we only need two players - another midfielder in to replace Tait and if we can add a bit of extra quality up front that could make all the difference.

I’m also in this camp, a centre mid, and a goal scoring striker. Someone of the Steven McLean mould when we were in League 1, experienced head & goal scorer. I have no idea who that is though at this point in time.

5 minutes ago, Raithie said:

This fascination some fans have with Gullan is crazy.  

I think he is decent enough though not really an individual game changer but would contribute enough to be worth having around. I do think the fascination goes way too far though.

Edited by renton