Jump to content

The New Raith Rovers Thread


Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

True. During Lockdown 1 I bought my kids the smart home top from the Rovers league winning season @tazz1903 but that was only because they were £15 in the sale.

Well done , hope they appreciated that ? hope they wear it with pride 😁 Look what I bought you guys , last seasons top in the sale ? Cheers DAD ? ☺️  By the way I have an I PHONE 5 for sale if your  interested ? just PM  me ? cheers 

Edited by tazz1903
ADD
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Scottydog said:

Glenrothes used to be a town of misplaced incomers but that tag has slipped with the ages, true there will be west coast traditionalist supporters who's sons and daughters will favour the OF, but Glenrothes was planned in the 1940's and populated in the 50 and 60's those West coast implants are all about 3 generations down the line, time changes things. Proof of that is how many Rovers supporters live there but were born and brought up in Kirkcaldy.

Yes, I agree things have improved, and no doubt the following generations identify as Fifers, besdies - as you say - folk flitting up there. If we had taken the opportunity to build a new stadium up near the bypass we would have attracted a lot more from Glenrothes/Leslie and Markinch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Just had a look at the East Fife thread there. A couple of folk wondering whether Derek McInnes might be interested in their managerial vacancy while also wondering if Gus McPherson might leave Morton for them :lol:

Although some reckon Mark McGhee might be a better fit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Just had a look at the East Fife thread there. A couple of folk wondering whether Derek McInnes might be interested in their managerial vacancy while also wondering if Gus McPherson might leave Morton for them :lol:

One of them mentioned Paul Smith as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Double Jack D said:

My issue with the kids home tops are availability. Trying to get both my kids home tops for xmas but they're sold out and have been for a while.

Would like them to be a wee bit cheaper but in comparison to other replica tops they are quite good value.

I contacted the club several weeks ago asking what the script is with the club shop and if they were planning to get anymore stock in the lead up to Christmas. Got a reply saying they've had major supply issues with the manufacture and were expecting a load of new stuff/stock this month. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, tazz1903 said:

Well done , hope they appreciated that ? hope they wear it with pride 😁 Look what I bought you guys , last seasons top in the sale ? Cheers DAD ? ☺️  By the way I have an I PHONE 5 for sale if your  interested ? just PM  me ? cheers 

They did appreciate them. Who wouldn’t want a quality Rovers top.

Hope you sell your iPhone. Off to Aberdeen on Saturday?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Raithie said:

I contacted the club several weeks ago asking what the script is with the club shop and if they were planning to get anymore stock in the lead up to Christmas. Got a reply saying they've had major supply issues with the manufacture and were expecting a load of new stuff/stock this month. 

https://www.raithrovers.net/51360/black-friday-deals.htm

New merch/stock coming into club shop next week hopefully.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Raith_Raver said:

Yes, I agree things have improved, and no doubt the following generations identify as Fifers, besdies - as you say - folk flitting up there. If we had taken the opportunity to build a new stadium up near the bypass we would have attracted a lot more from Glenrothes/Leslie and Markinch.

Has moving away from a town centre ever increased the number of fans through the gate? Genuine question as my opinion is teams who’ve moved out the centre of town have seen crowds go down not up. Starks for its faults is walking distance from the Centre, the train station and the bus station and has the infrastructure a town centre brings (bars, restaurants, takeaways) a new stadium up in the middle of an industrial estate near a bypass has nothing around it. I think you’d lose far more fans than you’d gain, my personal experience is soulless Lego brick stadiums outside towns are not a great move. 

Edited by San Starko Rover
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Your points are arguable, although the train and bus stations aren't all that near the ground, and the limited parking at Beveridge Park isn't great (for big games anyway). I don't think the newer "lego" stadia like Airdrie's, Livi's, St Johnstones etc are that bad, and much better than rows of pillars.

The context of suggesting a new stadium to the North of the town was being more attractive to the 40,000 residents of Glenrothes and nearby towns; I wouldn't think that would affect our Kirkcaldy support. So yes, being nearer a bigger population centre with easy aess and parking  I think would have increased our support.

 

Edited by Raith_Raver
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, San Starko Rover said:

Has moving away from a town centre ever increased the number of fans through the gate? Genuine question as my opinion is teams who’ve moved out the centre of town have seen crowds go down not up. Starks for its faults is walking distance from the Centre, the train station and the bus station and has the infrastructure a town centre brings (bars, restaurants, takeaways) a new stadium up in the middle of an industrial estate near a bypass has nothing around it. I think you’d lose far more fans than you’d gain, my personal experience is soulless Lego brick stadiums outside towns are not a great move. 

Do you mean Scottish teams moving out of town or teams in general?

Up here, it didn’t hurt St Johnstone.

Around 2002 there was talk of a leisure park between Glenrothes and Kirkcaldy. I suppose if you built a stadium beside that it would do okay. Maybe that would drive a second train station.

 

Edited by Scary Bear
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Frank conner said:

It's pretty simple teams like Dunfermline, Falkirk etc Have had a sustained period of success thats how they can build a fanbase . Even during our glory years in the mid nineties we couldn't go more than two seasons before it started to fall apart. 

i would say that's definitely a factor - teams with a successful tradition. There's also the "negative" of that, as it were - how often have we had a big crowd at a game, attracting lost or former supporters only to flop and send them away with a shrug, never to return; that play off with Alloa at Stark's is a case in point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Raith_Raver said:

i would say that's definitely a factor - teams with a successful tradition. There's also the "negative" of that, as it were - how often have we had a big crowd at a game, attracting lost or former supporters only to flop and send them away with a shrug, never to return; that play off with Alloa at Stark's is a case in point.

Think you mean the last game of the season where we choked and lost the league title. The crowds at the play-off games were pitiful because people (and possibly the team too) were so dispirited after missing out on the league title. 

09E01854-31B8-40CF-AA94-C30B6130BBAE.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Scary Bear said:

Think you mean the last game of the season where we choked and lost the league title. The crowds at the play-off games were pitiful because people (and possibly the team too) were so dispirited after missing out on the league title. 

09E01854-31B8-40CF-AA94-C30B6130BBAE.png

Yes, I think you're right, the game when Vaughan hit the post in the last minute.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

Do you mean Scottish teams moving out of town or teams in general?

Up here, it didn’t hurt St Johnstone.

Around 2002 there was talk of a leisure park between Glenrothes and Kirkcaldy. I suppose if you built a stadium beside that it would do okay. Maybe that would drive a second train station.

 

No arguments that St Johnstone have done well on the park in recent years but have their attendances gone up from the Muirton Park days? The point was moving would bring in new support from Glenrothes and other towns / villages. Does St Johnstone moving out of town back this up and how much have their gates increased? 

Edited by San Starko Rover
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

No arguments that St Johnstone have done well on the park in recent years but have their attendances gone up from the Muirton Park days? The point was moving would bring in new support from Glenrothes and other towns / villages. Does St Johnstone moving pit of town back this up and how much have their gates increased? 

The distance from Muirton to McDairmid is more or less insignificant. Better parking and road access, and also the nearby P&R  should be expected to boost the gate compared to them still being at Muirton, but who can say by how much...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...