The New Raith Rovers Thread

I thought Tait was excellent at RP earlier in the season and can see why he deserves to play at a higher level than the championship.

He's going to be  a great wee player but still far from the finished article and another 6 months with Raith, playing every week,  would probably suit everybody concerned.

22 hours ago, TxRover said:

Livi have indicated no interest in recalling Pops.

Musonda at DM seems deferred until at least January, but he slots ahead of Arnott and BRS.

Matthews role is now Ross’s to lose.

Varian we have no indication if Stoke will recall him, but at 60 minutes a week, what would they gain?

I dislike Musonda at LB, but I like him getting game time…just not at the expense of Dick. I’d prefer to see Musonda play in Tait’s role for a game or two, as I don’t think Tait is staying beyond January.

Very insightful, any chance of tomorrow nights Euro Lotto numbers?

I had no idea you were so in tune with not only what John and Paul may be thinking but also the plans of the respective coaching staff at Livingston and Stoke, just because neither club has publicly intimated anything doesn't mean they wont, after all why would they upset the players or the Rovers but making a public statement 6 weeks before they needed to? Nevermind the clubs what about the players, I'm not saying they are but quite possibly Poplatnik (and his employers) could  be unhappy at his only getting around 30 mins a week or less, and a young guy like Varian may not be all that impressed with the Lang Toun, he  just might be missing the bright lights of Stoke. Many players opt to try somewhere else after half a season, it happens often (eg. Kennedy couldn't get out of Inverness quick enough).

The only thing I've seen is that back in August McGlynn had previously voiced that he thinks Musonda could play midfield, a role he is (as far as I know) completely untried in.

I don't agree with Matthews position being Ross's to lose as they don't play the same role, RM is a centre mid and ER is being employed as a No 10, It's more of a formation change than just personnel. IMO it will stay that way until John changes the formation or someone picks up an injury or suspension.

I too prefer Dick at LB but Musonda will keep that jersey, just as I think Lang will hold onto the centre of defence position until (as above) John changes the formation or someone picks up an injury or suspension.

My own opinion is that even if all of the loanees do stay in place I think we still need to strengthen if we want to stay competitive for the flag.

Edited by Scottydog

2 hours ago, Scottydog said:

Very insightful, any chance of tomorrow nights Euro Lotto numbers?

I had no idea you were so in tune with not only what John and Paul may be thinking but also the plans of the respective coaching staff at Livingston and Stoke, just because neither club has publicly intimated anything doesn't mean they wont, after all why would they upset the players or the Rovers but making a public statement 6 weeks before they needed to? Nevermind the clubs what about the players, I'm not saying they are but quite possibly Poplatnik (and his employers) could  be unhappy at his only getting around 30 mins a week or less, and a young guy like Varian may not be all that impressed with the Lang Toun, he  just might be missing the bright lights of Stoke. Many players opt to try somewhere else after half a season, it happens often (eg. Kennedy couldn't get out of Inverness quick enough).

The only thing I've seen is that back in August McGlynn had previously voiced that he thinks Musonda could play midfield, a role he is (as far as I know) completely untried in.

I don't agree with Matthews position being Ross's to lose as they don't play the same role, RM is a centre mid and ER is being employed as a No 10, It's more of a formation change than just personnel. IMO it will stay that way until John changes the formation or someone picks up an injury or suspension.

I too prefer Dick at LB but Musonda will keep that jersey, just as I think Lang will hold onto the centre of defence position until (as above) John changes the formation or someone picks up an injury or suspension.

My own opinion is that even if all of the loanees do stay in place I think we still need to strengthen if we want to stay competitive for the flag.

7 and 11 will be the star numbers. The other five should be 2, 5, 12, 25 and 50. Sorry you dislike my opinions, but…

Livi have repeatedly said the intent to let Pops go in June and want Nouble back in Jan, not Pops. JMcG made repeated statements about trying Frankie at DM/Sweeper before the season, and most recently said that plan is dead for now. In the same interview, JMcG said that Ross had taken Matthew’s spot…so I’m basing those comments on statements made by applicable people. As for my opinions, I don’t really care if you like or respect them, that’s the nature of a comment board.

Now, that being said, be well, you seem a bit stressed if that’s bothering you, I’ve vomited out much worse.

On 17/11/2021 at 19:18, Scottydog said:

Poplatnik or/and Varian may also be recalled to their parent clubs, if we lose one or both then they'd have to be replaced.

But replacing lost squad members mightn't cut it. This January will be a serious test of our owner/boards ambition. I honestly think as a club we do want promotion (as the board  have proven with the acquisition of Ethan Ross) but to do so, then we have to keep on investing by continuing to add to the squad not just replacing lost components. I fear if we don't it could be costly as I'm sure that other clubs like Partick and even Killie will be dipping into the January transfer market. to strengthen their squads, if you want an example just think back to what the Pars did in bringing in the two Perth Saints when they did and we finished 2nd.

Stephen Kelly was mentioned earlier and he could be a good replacement for Tait as could Ben Williamson who IMO was quite impressive at Arbroath last season but seems this season to be struggling for game time at Livvi. All in all I'm not too worried as I'm sure the gaffer will be looking at various options. One addition I would still like to see is the return of Gullan but wouldn't be surprised if he still ends up at Rugby Park.

There's little to no chance we'll recall MP, I'd even say that we're more likely to sign a striker than to bring him back. He's just not good enough for this level at all. Nouble will 100% be the one to come back and Martindale and Dick Campbell have publicly said as much. They'll likely get Jack Hamilton back to play up front. 

Williamson has struggled to cut it at this level too but he's trying to break into the strongest part of our side. There's about 5 or 6 players ahead of him and when he got his chance he got sent off for a stupid tackle against Dundee Utd. Despite that I reckon we might end up keeping him on as rotation/cover. Depends on what Rangers think but he may actually be out of contract soon too? 

Apart from that I can maybe see Harry Panayiotou going out on loan for 6 months to get fit and first team games?

Not sure why there’s constant speculation on Matej being recalled by Livi in January.
He was signed on a season-long loan so it was obviously never the intention of Livi to have him back in January.
I imagine if he’d scored 20 goals for us or if all of Livis forwards were injured there may have been a clause in there to allow him to go back but as neither of these things have happened I think you can put Starks Parks mortgage on him being with us until the end of the season.

47 minutes ago, renton said:

McGlynn gets manager of the month... away win tomorrow then.

I wish there was an option for saying "thank you very much, but if you don't mind, no thanks all the same."

That would benefit every manager/coach/team that suffers from the curse. Alternatively just get out there and beat the opposition.👍

3 hours ago, stevoraith said:

Not sure why there’s constant speculation on Matej being recalled by Livi in January.
He was signed on a season-long loan so it was obviously never the intention of Livi to have him back in January.
I imagine if he’d scored 20 goals for us or if all of Livis forwards were injured there may have been a clause in there to allow him to go back but as neither of these things have happened I think you can put Starks Parks mortgage on him being with us until the end of the season.

Perhaps because when we got the loan it was mentioned there was a recall clause in January?

Perhaps because when we got the loan it was mentioned there was a recall clause in January?

Not sure where you’ve read that Tex.

https://www.raithrovers.net/48707/matej-poplatnik.htm

I mean, there probably is one but I don’t recall reading about it and it seems very unlikely it will be used.

34 minutes ago, stevoraith said:

Not sure where you’ve read that Tex.

https://www.raithrovers.net/48707/matej-poplatnik.htm

I mean, there probably is one but I don’t recall reading about it and it seems very unlikely it will be used.

It's mentioned on the Livi site.

https://livingstonfc.co.uk/matej-poplatnik-joins-raith-rovers-on-loan/