The New Raith Rovers Thread

Lang has looked very assured in these last two games. I’d like to see us stick with him, even if Bene is fit again.
I like Bene, he’s been a good servant to the club and has played well this season. He was still part of the calamitous partnership with Davo though, for which he wasn’t entirely blameless.
Seeing Berra with the armband on just seems right too. The guy is a model pro and has been a colossus so far. Certainly much better than Davidson, and I was a Davo fan!

McGlynn mentioned at the start of the season that he had several plans. I suspect and hope one of those would be a back 3. With Musonda near fit again, we’d have cover there if not used it the DM role. This would allow Tumilty and Dick even more freedom to get forward. How the front line would line up would cause some debating but i’d be keen to see us giving it a go.

4 hours ago, Yoss said:

I am fond of tits.

Hello everyone, hope you're all well. I don't see much of Raith at the moment but I was at my first game of the season at East End last week. Pretty scrappy performance but I was very impressed with Lang and encouraged by Mitchell's brief appearance. Still generally impressed by the club's progress, and of course still a big fan of McGlynn.

Yoss, man of the people ❤️ Haste ye back. 

2 hours ago, Jilted John said:

Lang has looked very assured in these last two games. I’d like to see us stick with him, even if Bene is fit again.

I like Bene, he’s been a good servant to the club and has played well this season. He was still part of the calamitous partnership with Davo though, for which he wasn’t entirely blameless.

Seeing Berra with the armband on just seems right too. The guy is a model pro and has been a colossus so far. Certainly much better than Davidson, and I was a Davo fan!

It's not going to happen. Bene has been fantastic this season and JM is not the type of manager to bench a club captain because someone has come in and done well whilst he's been injured. Lang will either have to bide his time again or we switch to 3/5 at the back more often.

Interesting to see if we use Musonda at left back. Failing that I think it'll be Lang as mentioned. It sounds like we're almost back to a full team other than Vaughan. Dick and Spencer might miss Saturday but both don't initially seem like serious injuries. No doubt we'll never seen one of them for the rest of the season now...

Musonda has covered LB before and done fine, so I imagine would be first choice provided we don't need him elsewhere (and he is fit). 

Beyond that, I think Bene has covered it too in an emergency and perhaps Lang could as well if better suited to the role, especially given he's a bit quicker. There's options there; much prefer a natural LB but you do what you have to when necessary. 

The key thing is avoiding a long-term injury... 

14 hours ago, Jilted John said:

Bene and Berra is a rock solid partnership. I’d have Bene back in the team.

the calamitous partnership of Davo and Bene saw us finish 3rd last year. Not that calamitous. Berra is obviously an upgrade on Davo, going by his performances so far, but I feel Bene complements him well.

42 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Musonda has covered LB before and done fine, so I imagine would be first choice provided we don't need him elsewhere (and he is fit). 

Beyond that, I think Bene has covered it too in an emergency and perhaps Lang could as well if better suited to the role, especially given he's a bit quicker. There's options there; much prefer a natural LB but you do what you have to when necessary. 

The key thing is avoiding a long-term injury... 

Don’t forget Young at LB, certainly after Musonda., but still. Lang has played RB previously, and is right-sided, I’m not sure they’d be happy jamming him in at LB over Young, who looked composed playing as a Trialist for us.

1 minute ago, TxRover said:

Don’t forget Young at LB, certainly after Musonda., but still. Lang has played RB previously, and is right-sided, I’m not sure they’d be happy jamming him in at LB over Young, who looked composed playing as a Trialist for us.

He looked lost playing as a trialist for us.

If Dick isn't fit, it'll be Musonda who played there for a few games early last season and looked decent there.

30 minutes ago, renton said:

He looked lost playing as a trialist for us.

If Dick isn't fit, it'll be Musonda who played there for a few games early last season and looked decent there.

Yep. Musonda’s last game for us was actually a very solid appearance as a left back at Palmerston IIRC.

4 hours ago, L. Brilliant said:

Am I right in thinking it was believed Lang could cover left back?  If Dick is out, as it were, on Saturday then we might find out.  I don't necessarily want to know if he is, because if I know then the opposition knows too...

He's no a full back

4 hours ago, L. Brilliant said:

Am I right in thinking it was believed Lang could cover left back?  If Dick is out, as it were, on Saturday then we might find out.  I don't necessarily want to know if he is, because if I know then the opposition knows too...

It's not always 100% accurate, but according to Transfermarkt, Lang has experience of playing in the centre of defence, right back and defensive midfield. Doesn't mean to say he couldn't, or the website has maybe missed something right enough. 

I  went onto Wyscout to compare Lang and Benedictus this season, and found it pretty interesting, although admittedly I'm a bit dweebier than most, but I was surprised at how much better Bene's stats were when compared to Lang. 

In terms of defensive duels, so how many challenges they go in for and win, Bene is at just under 85%, the best figure in the league, while Lang isn't even in the top 30, and is way below that at just over 58%. Other Raith players in the top 30 were Liam Dick at 78% (4th in the league) Berra at 76% (9th) Aidan Connolly(!) 70% (18th) and Brad Spencer at 69% (29th)

In terms of winning headers, Benedictus is at 69% which is 10th in the league, while Berra is top at 75%. Again, Lang isn't in the top 30 on 56%. 

Benedictus is fifth in the league in terms of blocked shots, at an average of 0.78 per game, Lang isn't in top 30 but couldn't find his figure, but Lang does win in terms of interceptions, averaging over six per game, which is third best in the league, with Bene 21st with just under five and a half. 

Now, those figures are all very basic, they don't have a league table for most egregious errors for example, or a handsomeness table where Lang would obviously come out on top, but interesting to see the how they compare with the more basic aspects of defending. 

Edited by McGuigan1978

12 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

It's not always 100% accurate, but according to Transfermarkt, Lang has experience of playing in the centre of defence, right back and defensive midfield. Doesn't mean to say he couldn't, or the website has maybe missed something right enough. 

I  went onto Wyscout to compare Lang and Benedictus this season, and found it pretty interesting, although admittedly I'm a bit dweebier than most, but I was surprised at how much better Bene's stats were when compared to Lang. 

In terms of defensive duels, so how many challenges they go in for and win, Bene is at just under 85%, the best figure in the league, while Lang isn't even in the top 30, and is way below that at just over 58%. Other Raith players in the top 30 were Liam Dick at 78% (4th in the league) Berra at 76% (9th) Aidan Connolly(!) 70% (18th) and Brad Spencer at 69% (29th)

In terms of winning headers, Benedictus is at 69% which is 10th in the league, while Berra is top at 75%. Again, Lang isn't in the top 30 on 56%. 

Benedictus is fifth in the league in terms of blocked shots, at an average of 0.78 per game, Lang isn't in top 30 but couldn't find his figure, but Lang does win in terms of interceptions, averaging over six per game, which is third best in the league, with Bene 21st with just under five and a half. 

Now, those figures are all very basic, they don't have a league table for most egregious errors for example, or a handsomeness table where Lang would obviously come out on top, but interesting to see the how they compare with the more basic aspects of defending. 

He was played at RB way Clyde at first. The boy done what he was asked but its a total waste playing him there.  Hes a brilliant CB and if youse play 4 the manager has a choice....if he plays 3 Tam is right in there. Hes too good to be bench warmer tho

16 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

How come Lang got in team of week ahead of Berra?