The New Raith Rovers Thread

12 hours ago, philpy said:

The Newcastle trip to watch a player is clearly a smokescreen.  Mgglynn is in talks with the Saudis to replace Steve Bruce. 

They must have heard he’s better than Zidane.

2 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

After watching that second half today, please can we get Spencer on a contract extension please? 

Spencer is the keystone for this team. It doesn't work without him.

Someone on the match thread (@Hank Scorpio?) asked for the stats on our goals conceded with BRS on the park compared to without as there seems to be a strong link between his sub appearances and goals conceded.

I think he has his uses and he has had some good performances (Morton & Livi away, second half vs Aberdeen, Forfar at home) but he seems like the type of player that really struggles to get up to speed when coming off the bench, looking totally lost and the stats really back that up.

Below are the goals against record with and without BRS as well as his record when starting compared to coming on as a sub. This is done purely on minutes on the field and goals conceded in that time:

With (All competitions)    
Goal against every 60.7 minutes

Without (All competitions)      
Goal against every 132 minutes

With (League)       
Goal against every 45 minutes

Without (League)      
Goal against every 101 minutes

BRS Starts (In all competitions)   
Goal against every 123 minutes

BRS sub appearance (In all competitions)     
Goal against every 17.5 minutes (6 goals conceded in 105 minutes across 7 sub appearances)

So basically, he has his uses but for the love of god, don’t use him as a sub…

12 hours ago, renton said:

Spencer is the keystone for this team. It doesn't work without him.

We won 3 out of the 4 games he missed this season, including beating Aberdeen. He is clearly a key player but I would disagree that the success of the team is solely dependant on him. 

The problem yesterday was the lack of Matthews as well, they are both equally important to that midfield. We can just about get by without one of them but not both as the second half yesterday showed. 

Edited by R.R.FC

Probably an unpopular opinion but I’ll be glad once Tait is gone come January. I was a huge fan of his from the start but IMO my has been poor all season. Despite the uproar, I thought the hibs deal was good for a player who had started to go stale. Whilst he’s still young and has time on his side, his general play has been so poor and Spencer and Matthews have been papering over the cracks in the midfield. He has little to no defensive capabilities, he’s been struggling to make the most simple of passes and generally doesn’t look bothered on the pitch. His odd impressive pass has probably allowed him to get away with it. That, and the fact BRS makes him look like Iniesta. I trust McGlynn to have replacement for both Tait and BRS as well as potential Varian who has impressed me but isn’t getting us the goal return we need for someone leading the line.

6 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Just a wee thing, but Frankie Musonda looked absolutely delighted at the reception he got when warming up yesterday.  Really hope we can see him in action soon.

Assuming no further set backs, I suspect he's just moved above BRS in the defensive midfield pecking order. McGlynn didn't sound too confident about having Spencer available next week, so I imagine it'll be Matthews alongside Tait in the base of midfield and we'll see Musonda off the bench at some point. 

Has he ever played in midfield for us before? I can't think that he has. He was so comfortable with the ball in defence, though, that I'm sure he'll be able to step forward. I'm really excited to have him back. 

Just a wee thing, but Frankie Musonda looked absolutely delighted at the reception he got when warming up yesterday.  Really hope we can see him in action soon.
That lad fucking loves that the fans are back. He was properly laughing at the Super John McGlynn song at full time at East End Park. This is the first time he'll have had regular football in front of a decent crowd when he starts.