The New Raith Rovers Thread

On 01/10/2021 at 10:04, kev23 said:

1 player lighter apparently.
Jack Hamilton incoming. Deal done last night.

It wont be true at all, looks like he's set to start playing for us if we go 2 up front - even in January.

Edited by ATLIS

For all the concerns about depth etc, that famous Mcglynn spirit is there.

5 points off top.....

I don't think we've played particularly poorly in any game this season, at the very worst there's a solid base to work from.  It's still relying heavily on the old injuries and suspensions being kind, but who knows 

Edited by CALDERON

Well nearly at the first quarter stage and so far I’ve few complaints.  Our away form is brilliant only loss bring ICT which in fairness was a screamer of a goal and our bogie team.  Home we’re a bit less impressive and seem to chuck away goals late on costing us Vs Pars and Accies.  QOS was a bit disappointing but in fairness they grabbed their goal and just sat back with us unable to unlock an excellent defensive unit that day. If we can beat Arbroath and that’s a big IF it’ll be a fantastic start to the season. MacDonald is a absolute rock, the defence the same the goals have come after too many subs in midfield IMO.  We’re great to watch and for me all we’re missing is a consistent striker after we inevitably lost Lewis Vaughan. No idea if we’re bring anyone in but so far the club is doing a great job. 

3 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Agree with this. 

The Accies game was an absolute freak result - we could've played that game 100 times and won 99 of them. I don't think it's disingenuous to suggest that we should have taken more from both of the games against the Pars and Queen of the South. In particular, Queens were rotten but took their chance and then frustrated us. 

At the moment, I feel like we're flying under the radar a bit. We've had a few shaky performances but Lang showed today he can step in to allow Tumilty to be more aggressive. Musonda is still to come in, and the goals for Poplatnik will do his confidence the world of good. 

I often think we go into games and opposition fans will be quite dismissive of us because we've lost the likes of Hendry, Armstrong and MacDonald. People automatically assume Berra will be complete dogshit but he's been outstanding so far. Zanatta has been a revelation and Connolly has been dependable. I'd love it if the board were to pull the trigger to give McGlynn a bit of further backing to bring in who he needs - as fans we don't know what's going on or the targets who the manager wants. 

Really, all I'd say is for fans to keep backing the team. There's been a few people online (not on here - on twitter and facebook groups) who are absolutely salivating at the mouth for us to get bad results so they can criticise either McGlynn or certain players. Zanatta, Connolly and Berra were slaughtered before a ball was kicked and yet all have been good to outstanding throughout the first quarter.

While we could've definitely picked up more points, we're in a good position at the moment. Off the park, we've got a lot of work to do but in terms of on the park McGlynn is doing a tremendous job just now. 

100% agree pal reference bringing anyone in, if we can it’d be absolutely magic, if we can’t due to something like finances I’d have zero complaints in fact it’d be reckless to do so and I’m glad to say I doubt the board would do that were comfortably mid table at worst right now.

AS for Berra genuinely couldn’t understand people who thought he’d be shit, guy has played international football and many years at Hearts. At the very least he was a step up from Davo (absolutely no disrespect intended to Davo) yes Berra is at the tail end of his career but dropping down a level allows a player like that a few seconds more to read the game. 

1 hour ago, roverthemoon said:

That interview from McGlynn. Honestly couldn’t love this guy more. 

Just watched it, McGlynn is an absolute legend at this club up there with our best ❤️ praised everyone at the club and as they’re trying to wrap up the interview he’s thanking the fans for their backing 😂. Pretty sure it was a Pars fan who said McGlynn and Campbell are probably two managers who could actually survive a relegation season and be given a chance to bring their clubs back up.

I was against Berra because I felt Bene, Lang and Musonda would be enough and the money (no idea what he’s on) would be better served being spent elsewhere.

That said Berra has played at a higher level than everyone else in the league and could play in the Championship till he’s 142.

If we can hang about till Jan be interesting to see if we stick or twist. Regardless anyone questioning McGlynn or his teams attitude and desire need to go throw hot pish at the moon.

There are a few things about 104 year old Christophe Berra. He still has a good level of fitness and isn't blowing out his arse. He is totally composed on the ball and is more than happy to ping it about between himself and Mcdonald. You can see him using the experience, it's the little things like shielding the ball and leaning into players to hold it up whilst he changes direction. 

He has but a good understanding with Bene and very quickly too. Allowing Bene to play in the right has improved his game as well although not having to worry about Davo has obviously helped that as well. 

I'm sure the other defenders will be learning from him in training.

1 hour ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Agree with this. 

The Accies game was an absolute freak result - we could've played that game 100 times and won 99 of them. I don't think it's disingenuous to suggest that we should have taken more from both of the games against the Pars and Queen of the South. In particular, Queens were rotten but took their chance and then frustrated us. 

At the moment, I feel like we're flying under the radar a bit. We've had a few shaky performances but Lang showed today he can step in to allow Tumilty to be more aggressive. Musonda is still to come in, and the goals for Poplatnik will do his confidence the world of good. 

I often think we go into games and opposition fans will be quite dismissive of us because we've lost the likes of Hendry, Armstrong and MacDonald. People automatically assume Berra will be complete dogshit but he's been outstanding so far. Zanatta has been a revelation and Connolly has been dependable. I'd love it if the board were to pull the trigger to give McGlynn a bit of further backing to bring in who he needs - as fans we don't know what's going on or the targets who the manager wants. 

Really, all I'd say is for fans to keep backing the team. There's been a few people online (not on here - on twitter and facebook groups) who are absolutely salivating at the mouth for us to get bad results so they can criticise either McGlynn or certain players. Zanatta, Connolly and Berra were slaughtered before a ball was kicked and yet all have been good to outstanding throughout the first quarter.

While we could've definitely picked up more points, we're in a good position at the moment. Off the park, we've got a lot of work to do but in terms of on the park McGlynn is doing a tremendous job just now. 

^^^^absolutely this

2 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Agree with this. 

Great post. Delighted that recent results have quietened down those in our own support who appeared to want us to fail or were predicting relegation. Under no illusions that after a loss or two they’ll be back, but for now I’m enjoying the silence. 

21 minutes ago, steakngravy said:

My MOM was Tumilty he was attacking when we had the ball and was defending when we didn't. He made several lung bursting runs during the game and in extra time left a fresh Killie sub well behind. great get him on an extended contract please.

Just watched the third goal. He leaves Armstrong for dead. Immense performance 

7 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:

I'd love it if the board were to pull the trigger to give McGlynn a bit of further backing to bring in who he needs - as fans we don't know what's going on or the targets who the manager wants.

I’ve been pondering this idea, and have a rather disappointing take on it. Come January, Tait, Varian and Riley-Snow are the “scheduled” losses, with Poplatnik potentially being recalled. We would be getting Coulson, Mahady, McKay and Keatings back as well. Let’s consider these:

Tait - Expect him to leave, but a small chance we retain him till June. Also, not totally unlikely we might get a midfielder back on loan from Hibs if Tait does go.

Varian - If we keep playing him, I would expect the loan to be extended. The playing time and style should please Stoke.

Riley-Snow - I expect we’ll extend him if 1) someone doesn’t poach him and 2) certainly if we aren’t getting a loan back if Tait is leaving. He’s competent, sort of a more physical Adam King, with better vision and passing.

Poplatnik - I expect he will not be recalled, as Livi have little use for him, and he’s playing/we’re paying.

Coulson and Mahady - They will almost certainly go back out on loan, but perhaps elsewhere given limited play at Cowdenbeath. There is a chance that they will stay and Arnott and Mitchell go on loan.

McKay - I’d expect either a loan to a League One team or, if he’s an every game starter at Edinburgh City, a loan extension.

Keatings - This is a tricky one, the question being was the news release a face saving statement by us or the truth. Honestly, I doubt we see him again this season.

If this is what happens, I can see one or (possibly) two midfielders and maybe a forward in the January window, but that’s it. It could be as little as no action if Riley-Snow is extended and Tait stays till June.