The New Raith Rovers Thread

23 minutes ago, Double Jack D said:

Agree we're a bit light up top however I also agree with McGlynn's method of not bringing in someone for the sake of it. The point that the money is still available in January is a good one and if this means we have more budget for the second half of the season then that could be a decent strategy.

From what I've seen so far, we have a good enough squad to challenge for top 4. Given the injury to Lewis Vaughan and losing Regan Hendry from last years squad, repeating last years 3rd place would be a tough ask. However, I don't see why we cant be in and around that position with the current squad come January. 

In terms of loaning out players, we are using this very well. We have good young players out getting game time and taking a bit off the wage bill too. I'm not sure having any of them at the club meantime would provide any significant improvement other than in numbers alone. The Keatings situation is disappointing but reading between the lines (or actually reading the lines :)) suggests that he simply isn't cutting it fitness wise and is probably done with us. 

All in all, yes I would love if we had picked up a quality striker on loan, readily match fit and capable of 6 or 7 goals between now and January. The reality is that this is a million to one shot and I think I'm happier that McGlynn has saved the coin for January when there may be more player availability and situations such as the Keatings one can be reviewed. Also the BRS and Dylan Tait situations may mean that other areas of the team need addressed at that time.

My contribution to the players fund is unconditional as long as I'm happy it is going towards improving the player fund. I would only consider stopping it if there was suspicion it was funding other parts of the club or lining directors pockets.

Keatings is going to prove a very costly mistake I fear, let’s see how it goes from now till January as it appears we haven’t done any late business and can only get behind the boys

Edited by Been going too long

20 minutes ago, Beachbum said:

Only mentioned it because if he goes there would be only about 13 outfield players left if you don't include the younger players.

Didn't pass any comment on his ability. Why the ridicule?

No ridicule intended.

17 minutes ago, RR #1 said:

Giving it big licks about promotion pre-season when season tickets are on sale only to then run with a squad of 15 fucking players despite a lucrative Cup run and selling a star asset? Fucking pathetic. 

Have to agree our squad depth this season is shocking.

So if a loan deal were done last night, we'd surely have heard about it by now.

Have to agree with the above, we are running a tight squad, and while you can say that the intent was to run a larger squad... after all, we had Vaughan and Keatings, the fact is we shouldn't have been banking on keeping Vaughan fit and if there were some over arching fitness issue with Keatings, why was that not apparent when he signed the PCA, or at least early enough in the Summer for McGlynn to do something about it?

In point of fact, a squad of 15 wouldn't be terrible if the quality was there, but we can't rely on BRS to do the job at the same level as Matthews, Spencer or Tait and our few, fit forwards don't look like they are about to tear up the league.

5 hours ago, Specky Ginger said:

We're pretty much running with a squad of 15 plus apprentices (Bow, Arnott and Mitchell).

Funny, because I count 21 with the 4 weens (you missed Young), and then another 4 on loan and Vaughan for a squad of 26. Oh, and only Young and Mitchell are MA’s now, the rest are on regular contracts.

I doubt BRS will have folk kicking down the door to sign him in January but if he goes fair enough.

The Keatings shambles was a bizarre move PCA with an injury prone player the wrong side of 30. Although I doubt anyone expected it to fall apart like this so soon. Realistically he's on a 2 year full time deal so we will have to pay him off be it a wage for 2 years or we can sort out a lump sum. 

Tait is 50/50 as to wether he stays past January but I think Hibs are flying at the minute and probably trust McGlynn to look after him until May.

I think they are putting a lot into the hope of Musonda stepping into midfield when he is fit again. 

Oh and the clocks go back soon so we need to aquire as many points as we can this month. 

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

Funny, because I count 21 with the 4 weens (you missed Young), and then another 4 on loan and Vaughan for a squad of 26. Oh, and only Young and Mitchell are MA’s now, the rest are on regular contracts.

I wasn't including Vaughan or any of those out on loan.

So we have a squad of 25. It contains 5 kids, 2 of which are out on loan, a striker and left back who are just out of Fife Elite and a 3rd choice keeper. We have 2 senior players out on loan, a player that hasn't kicked a ball in anger since the end of last season and is probably a couple of weeks at least away from first team games and Vaughan who is out for the season.

That takes us to 16. Then we have an 18 yr old on loan from Utd and an 19 Yr old on loan from Stoke. Hardly a strong squad IMO a very weak squad after the first 13 players or so.

If we had a fit Vaughan, Keatings and Musonda we wouldn't be having this debate but we don't and 2 of them need players signed as replacements. It appears though even though there are rumours of Jack Hamilton that we have signed nobody. Better hope we don't get an injury or 2. We might need Smudger to pull on his boots.

1 hour ago, raith1974 said:

So we have a squad of 25. It contains 5 kids, 2 of which are out on loan, a striker and left back who are just out of Fife Elite and a 3rd choice keeper. We have 2 senior players out on loan, a player that hasn't kicked a ball in anger since the end of last season and is probably a couple of weeks at least away from first team games and Vaughan who is out for the season.

That takes us to 16. Then we have an 18 yr old on loan from Utd and an 19 Yr old on loan from Stoke. Hardly a strong squad IMO a very weak squad after the first 13 players or so.

If we had a fit Vaughan, Keatings and Musonda we wouldn't be having this debate but we don't and 2 of them need players signed as replacements. It appears though even though there are rumours of Jack Hamilton that we have signed nobody. Better hope we don't get an injury or 2. We might need Smudger to pull on his boots.

26…minus Vaughan, 25…minus Bow, 24…can’t agree to subtract Musonda as he’s practicing now and able to play, just not yet match fit…minus Coulson, Mahady, Keatings and McKay, 20…minus Young and Mitchell, 18…but really 21 because Young, Mitchell and Bow are all potential players, and two have played with the first team so far this year.

6 hours ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

I suppose there's a small chance they're waiting on getting him in for photos before announcing it... 

bgur78iln2e01.png.03cf0dc5e1b9fe37b368b0ca593d0efa.png

Must be doing actual exposure in a dark room at this rate.

7 hours ago, pub car king said:

I doubt BRS will have folk kicking down the door to sign him in January but if he goes fair enough.

The Keatings shambles was a bizarre move PCA with an injury prone player the wrong side of 30. Although I doubt anyone expected it to fall apart like this so soon. Realistically he's on a 2 year full time deal so we will have to pay him off be it a wage for 2 years or we can sort out a lump sum. 

Tait is 50/50 as to wether he stays past January but I think Hibs are flying at the minute and probably trust McGlynn to look after him until May.

I think they are putting a lot into the hope of Musonda stepping into midfield when he is fit again. 

Oh and the clocks go back soon so we need to aquire as many points as we can this month. 

Hopefully Zanatta can bag us a few more points this month right enough. I hadn’t even factored in clocks go back shiteness. 

I can't remember which poster said it and it might have been various but I think we just need to trust McGlynn here. Yes the squad is tight but I think we have hopefully seen enough to say we won't get relegated and might push for a playoff spot. It's pretty safe to say even if we do add a couple of players we aren't winning the league and very likely aren't going up in the playoffs.

This season might very well be a tread water and regroup season and we push again next year.

2 minutes ago, OhnononoGeordieMunro said:

I can't remember which poster said it and it might have been various but I think we just need to trust McGlynn here. Yes the squad is tight but I think we have hopefully seen enough to say we won't get relegated and might push for a playoff spot. It's pretty safe to say even if we do add a couple of players we aren't winning the league and very likely aren't going up in the playoffs.

This season might very well be a tread water and regroup season and we push again next year.

I totally trust McGlynn. The man is Mr Rovers. I wouldn’t want any other manager.

13 minutes ago, OhnononoGeordieMunro said:

It might be but why take us for mugs and say were aiming to get promoted?🤷🏻‍♂️ With the squad we have no offence we have no chance, that’s what’s annoyed fans and people put in money above season tickets to help realise that. We have taken in extra money this year as well. They have rolled the dice and we better hope we get lucky until January 🤦🏻‍♂️