The New Raith Rovers Thread

4 minutes ago, Nairney said:

Not sure if this has already been shared…

https://www.raithrovers.net/49951/club-statement-dylan-tait.htm

Finally! I haven't had a chance yo catch up with Karen Macartney's comments from the radio yesterday, but this is exactly what needed to be said. 

As I alluded to yesterday and the day before, it doesn't even necessarily all need to be strictly true, it just has to be a clear statement that appropriately justifies the club's course of action, which this statement does. 

Now, next time, let's have that out proactively at the first possible opportunity, not as a third attempt at fire-fighting after a predictable and understandable reaction from the support has been allowed to take hold and fester. 

That's all that was required.

Can't say I'm mega chuffed about this bit however.

I suggested that there was no way that the Raith Rovers manager would sanction a transfer at this late stage, so I did not think we needed to proceed further. I was then advised that the agent had already spoken to the manager and that the manger would not want an unhappy player. He also stated that the manager would have a backup plan.

1 minute ago, CALDERON said:

That's all that was required.

Can't say I'm mega chuffed about this bit however.

I think that's one of those "how the sausage gets made" things that nobody's really happy about, but happens to every club at every level. It was the same with that Ali McCann deal at St Johnstone, where his agent already had an idea of what the wage offer at Preston would be, despite Saints having rejected the initial offer. 

Firstly, it's a very good statement from Sim. It gives a clear timeline of what happened and when rather than the speculative answers which have been provided before. It's not ideal from the clubs perspective as it's probably easier to have McGlynn try to explain things over on Raith TV, but they really should've been more transparency from the start. 

It's useful that they've clarified that there was a gentleman's agreement of sorts in place with Tait and his agent about any approaches when he signed his extension. It's a tough one to approach as football fans have long memories and everyone remembers the "can't stand in his way" with the deals over Bates/Callachan. 

As Calderon alludes to, almost immediately in the statement it says that Tait's agent was on the phone saying Hibs had offered him a deal which he wanted to accept. Being a pedant, it sounds like there may have been some form of "tapping up" but nobody will realistically care and it probably happens more often than not at our level. Given I've absolutely no experience in transfer deals for football, it's obviously something the club know has been above board. 

From the looks of things, the deal itself moved rapidly but the club really struggled to nail down a full explanation of what happened on deadline day from start to finish. It's reassuring to know that we knocked back a poorer deal to ensure we weren't left short, and also that the fee is larger than what has been reported. 

A few years ago it would have been laughable to suggest 6 figure deals for young Rovers players. It's incredible how the bar has changed but fans can't really be blamed for wanting to ensure we're not left short-changed.

Over the last few months, the club has really struggled on the communication side: we've had price hikes, the abandoned derby (which ultimately wasn't our fault) and then this transfer saga. Hopefully we can all move forwards together. I'd rather we focused less on talk about acronyms and ambition, and more on just focusing on providing a clear message for fans. We all want to see the club in the top flight, that isn't an issue. We just want to ensure the club is being looked after properly. 

Edited by Broken Algorithms

1 minute ago, Brashy's Boots said:
15 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:
I guess 5 minutes of good communication is a start...

Except we communicated it via social media channels, then quickly removed it, thereby immediately making an arse of our communication again.

I’ve heard the wifi went down again and deleted the article 

35 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:

Statement has been removed.....

How bizarre! I saw it had been shared on Facebook by a supporters page. I had a quick read and then copied the link from the official site and posted it here. Just after that I saw the official club account had shared it on Facebook.

Just checked the club’s webpage and right enough, it’s gone!

Sorry folks, wish I’d copied and pasted the article instead now!