The New Raith Rovers Thread

Raith Rovers shouldn't exist to develop players for other teams.  Sometimes it's a natural by-product of bringing young talent through, but this "oh well he was always going to leave so as well being now " attitude will mean this club never, ever progresses.  
Again, I don't mind where the club play.  But you do everything you can to reach the best level you can.  All this talk about 5 year plans from Sim, I'd like to know where selling youth players to the first bidder fits in?

I get your point but doesn’t the club have a £1M debt over its name? Within the last 2 years we’ve generated an estimated £250k + future incentives. The clubs existence is priority. We don’t want to be like our neighbours, we pay our debts. Within this 2 years, we’ve progressed from league 1 to the championship.

In regards to price, nobody seemed unhappy with the fee for Bowie who had a long list of scouts at every game from all over the UK. Tait attracted some interest but nowhere near as much and whilst I am a big fan of his, hasn’t been a shadow of himself this season. Whether thats due to interest, being asked to play deeper due to being without Hendry, nobody knows. If we had Matthews and Spencer fit, I doubt he’d have featured much based on form.

In McGlynn we trust we all say. Lets show him some. Ultimately we have Tait until Jan, at which point (if not before) we’ll have a replacement lined up.

2 minutes ago, RRFC1989 said:

I get your point but doesn’t the club have a £1M debt over its name? Within the last 2 years we’ve generated an estimated £250k + future incentives. The clubs existence is priority. We don’t want to be like our neighbours, we pay our debts. Within this 2 years, we’ve progressed from league 1 to the championship.

In regards to price, nobody seemed unhappy with the fee for Bowie who had a long list of scouts at every game from all over the UK. Tait attracted some interest but nowhere near as much and whilst I am a big fan of his, hasn’t been a shadow of himself this season. Whether thats due to interest, being asked to play deeper due to being without Hendry, nobody knows. If we had Matthews and Spencer fit, I doubt he’d have featured much based on form.

In McGlynn we trust we all say. Lets show him some. Ultimately we have Tait until Jan, at which point (if not before) we’ll have a replacement lined up.

Why is Sim making noises about becoming a Premier League club then? Again, i don't really mind at what level we play, but a couple of months ago Sim was on the radio talking about 5 year plan to get to the Premiership etc. 

Bowie had half a season where he looked decent at League 1 before getting the move to Fulham.  Tait is well above that.

48 minutes ago, stevoraith said:

I’m going to disagree with you and agree with you all in one go.

You’re right, we are what we are- a development/selling club.
But where I’ll disagree with you is that it’s not about our lack of financial backing.

Young guys generally don’t dream about trying help Raith Rovers get promoted to the Scottish premier.

If a team comes in for them who can offer them the chance to play in front of 15-20k fans every week in a team established at a good level then any young guy with ambition will jump at that chance.
And without spending an unsustainable amount of money on wages we’ll never be able to compete with that.

That’s maybe a bit ‘canny stand in the lads way’ but it’s the sad reality and the best we can do is make sure we wring as much as we can out of the deal when it happens.

You are actually pretty much completely agreeing, in my view. I think that over time the Rovers could establish a fan base that would support what we all aspire to see, especially if we keep playing attractive football. However, until then, the younger players will almost always succumb to the blandishments of the bright lights at clubs like the OF, Hearts and Hibs (and, perhaps the Dons) and be clawed away from us.

What would it take to establish Raith Rovers as a solid premiership side with enough appeal to retain players? Unfortunately, I suspect the answer involves a sugar daddy who builds us a new park…something I would be very disappointed in. There is a certain (urine-soaked) charm to Stark’s Park, the old Main Stand and all. There is something about the club that might have to die to reach that higher level, and I’m not really sure that would be for the better.

Am I sad that Dylan is leaving, and I hope we got a good deal, but I still stand behind the Rovers!

6 minutes ago, RRFC1989 said:

Whom do you see filling that role? Arnott is young and promising, but seems more an AM and is still too raw, much like Coulson. Coulson is looking alright in League Two, but that’s League Two, and BRS is an enigma so far. Are you assuming we bring someone in?

Why is Sim making noises about becoming a Premier League club then? Again, i don't really mind at what level we play, but a couple of months ago Sim was on the radio talking about 5 year plan to get to the Premiership etc. 
Bowie had half a season where he looked decent at League 1 before getting the move to Fulham.  Tait is well above that.

Right now £100k could be better invested in the squad if the club choose to help us get the the premiership. Tait isn’t Hendry, he is replaceable.

Tait as I said would struggle to be in our first 11 if everyone was fit. From what I’ve seen of Bowie since he’s left, he’s went from strength to strength.

Broke the news to my 8 year old lad. 

”How much did we get for him Dad?”

”Reckon 100k son”

”Should be getting mare than that for him!”

Even the bairns know it’s a paltry sum.

Club really need to be coming out with some explanation about this because with the week we’ve had - a lot of fans are totally scunnered.

34 minutes ago, RRFC1989 said:

Right now £100k could be better invested in the squad if the club choose to help us get the the premiership. Tait isn’t Hendry, he is replaceable.

Tait as I said would struggle to be in our first 11 if everyone was fit. From what I’ve seen of Bowie since he’s left, he’s went from strength to strength.

But you've had the benefit of seeing what Bowie's done since leaving. You then have to extend Tait the same courtesey. 

Whom do you see filling that role? Arnott is young and promising, but seems more an AM and is still too raw, much like Coulson. Coulson is looking alright in League Two, but that’s League Two, and BRS is an enigma so far. Are you assuming we bring someone in?

Its too early to say if either Arnott or Coulson could step in but thankfully we have until January to assess them. We also have the options of free agents or dipping into the loan market.

I don't get all this stuff about Tait being off form this season. He was awarded man of the match in our last match against Aberdeen. He's looked absolutely fine anytime I've seen him this season. 

Lets be honest, our MotM awards have been questionable to say the least.

43 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I don't get all this stuff about Tait being off form this season. He was awarded man of the match in our last match against Aberdeen. He's looked absolutely fine anytime I've seen him this season. 

Thought Zanatta got it against Aberdeen

3 hours ago, Toddy said:

If the fee is what's being rumoured then why not just come out and say what it is?  To me, using the "undisclosed fee" line is almost as if they're worried that if they admit it's nowhere near that amount, the fans wont be happy....so much for transparency.

And one of the supposed Raith values is ‘honesty’ 🙄

5 minutes ago, RRFC1989 said:

Its too early to say if either Arnott or Coulson could step in but thankfully we have until January to assess them. We also have the options of free agents or dipping into the loan market.

Don't bank on it, I watched Cowdenbeath give up a 1-0 lead to lose 1-2 last night, Bollan had no idea that there were subs on the bench.

I reckon Coulson and Mahady could be bit part players at Central Park.

Yeah, a 19 year old playing every week in the Chamionship is seemingly "off-form" if he's not banging in the goals from midfield every other week.

Him being off form isn’t anything to do with the lack of goals and assists. His pass completion has been poor to say the least and I’m referring to simple passes. He clearly isn’t comfortable collecting the ball deeper which it looks like he’s being asked to do more this season.
Let me make this clear, this is not a witch hunt. Overall I’m a big admirer of Tait but I feel peoples perception of this deal has been shadowed by recent events.

Don't bank on it, I watched Cowdenbeath give up a 1-0 lead to lose 1-2 last night, Bollan had no idea that there were subs on the bench.
I reckon Coulson and Mahady could be bit part players at Central Park.

And thats fine if it turns out to be the case. Arnott however appears to be getting much more game time and at a higher level not that I’m saying an apprentice needs to step in although I’m sure we all hope they could.