The New Raith Rovers Thread

2 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

Erm we lost MacDonald as we couldn’t afford him, he was awesome for us and yet we let him slip away for nothing. 

And that is a reason for the rest of the squad to be part time?

20 minutes ago, Michael W said:

We wouldn't have players worth poaching and would be largely stuck in the seaside league, I imagine. 

Sounds great! Sign me up! 👀😂

Honestly. You’d think someone’s just died. It is indeed pish, if the fee is the reported 100k then everyone does have a reason to be angry and of course questions need asked of the board. But let’s just settle a wee bit here. 

22 minutes ago, Michael W said:

We wouldn't have players worth poaching and would be largely stuck in the seaside league, I imagine. 

Erm we finished 3rd with the hybrid model. Btw I realised I buggered the part time model for hybrid. 

2 minutes ago, Wardy said:

Sounds great! Sign me up! 👀😂

Honestly. You’d think someone’s just died. It is indeed pish, if the fee is the reported 100k then everyone does have a reason to be angry and of course questions need asked of the board. But let’s just settle a wee bit here. 

I'm furious, because it's not just about the pishness of this deal but because it is symptomatic of the wider running of the club, and the fact that this will eventually end in us stagnating in the lower half of the championship at best.

Sounds great! Sign me up! [emoji102][emoji23]

The reason I'm angry is it just appears like the club have time backwards and have started taking the fans for granted again. You cannot spout the ambitious nonsense and then do something like this which is the polar opposite of ambition.

Edinburgh Live indicating the deal didn't get through.  If true then I hope it gives Sim and co time to get their act together for January.  Hopefully this will have made other clubs aware and we can get a better deal but after yesterdays reporting it doesn't fill us with confidence.  With Bowie Sim done an interview last season with K107 and said he wished he had kept him and sold him for more a year later got to think Sim is all talk.

I’m not sure what the players’ views are but you’d imagine they would be pretty miffed if the club did stand in the way of a move to the big 5 in Scotland or an English club, as it could cost them a lot of money.

I know we talk about the club having ambition but the flip side is players have ambition too. It would be lovely if their ambition was to get to the Premiership with Raith Rovers but that’s probably a fairly rare ambition among players.

The issue for us seems to be that we don’t get a good deal when we sell players. The club aren’t in the position where they sell players on a regular basis so it’s no real surprise if they aren’t good at it.

6 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

I’m not sure what the players’ views are but you’d imagine they would be pretty miffed if the club did stand in the way of a move to the big 5 in Scotland or an English club, as it could cost them a lot of money.

I know we talk about the club having ambition but the flip side is players have ambition too. It would be lovely if their ambition was to get to the Premiership with Raith Rovers but that’s probably a fairly rare ambition among players.

The issue for us seems to be that we don’t get a good deal when we sell players. The club aren’t in the position where they sell players on a regular basis so it’s no real surprise if they aren’t good at it.

There will be no doubt that part of the reason we get the players to commit to longer term deals is by assuring them that we won't hold back their career progression. We are a selling club when it comes down to it.

However the player must also understand that we need to get a deal which is in the best interests of both player and club. If we could sell Bowie to Fulham for £150k after half a season playing in League 1 we sure as hell should be using that as the starting point when negotiating a fee for Tait.

If a club is unwilling to pay that then they're the ones being unreasonable, not Rovers.

38 minutes ago, renton said:

I'm furious, because it's not just about the pishness of this deal but because it is symptomatic of the wider running of the club, and the fact that this will eventually end in us stagnating in the lower half of the championship at best.

We would have killed for that stagnation 3 years ago.

Anyone really believing we were a top 4 team this season ?

Just now, Beastie Russell said:

We would have killed for that stagnation 3 years ago.

Anyone really believing we were a top 4 team this season ?

Of course. Stagnation is never permanent though, and you eventually exit the division one way or the other.

14 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

It's a fair point, but if a player wants the flexibility to leave the club more easily, then don't sign a long-term contract. 

These sort of things do however bring about some inevitability and the player will generally move regardless. However we don't have to worry that he leaves in a few months for nothing at this stage - wait until January and other clubs that have been keeping tabs will need to make their move as well. Should mean we receive a more suitable fee 

Still not clear whether the Tait deal is completed or not.

I'm with those who can't see the logic of this deal. Unless cash flow is such that we are desperate for cash to pay bills due this month then there is no reason whatsoever to be selling Dylan Tait at this time. The boy has 3 years left on his deal, his development as a player will not be hindered staying with us for at least this season and we currently have very little in the way of a succession plan.

We should reject outright, demand £500k and see what happens in January or next summer. Meantime we have a chance to scout for a successor or get Coulson/ Arnott ready. 

If he's gone for £100k, on top of losing MacDonald, Hendry and Vaughan then there is huge pressure on McGlynn to deliver a decent season with a significant chunk of quality removed. Fans would have every right to be irate if a self inflicted relegation battle follows!