The New Raith Rovers Thread

McGlynn must be wondering what all his effort to build a team is worth. He's had terrifically bad luck with endless injuries to key players and now when we're depleted the club sells it's best asset for  a pittance. I wouldn't be surprised if he's starting to think "f**k it".

Edited by Raith_Raver

Going to guess based off recent events it'll be two or three days until we hear from anyone at the club. Again, it's a shame as some great work has been done over the last few years improving comms.

The legend that is Alan Temple is off on holiday at the moment so we'd probably have had a full article from him by now had he been working.

I really don't feel like it's been handled in a suitable manner. Perhaps the larger club pulled the strings in the local media to put some pressure on but with Tait under contract until 2024 then there's zero reason to go about this quickly. It's exactly the ale if Tait himself says he wants to go.

Hibs have been happy to hoover up younger talent or form players in Scotland over the last few years: McGinn,Nisbet. Even if they're not all successful you could well be looking a then getting in a player for a 6 figure fee only to sell them for a 7 figure fee. Obviously there's sell on clauses but the last few years have shown you can go direct to clubs in England and get better deals.

If Hibs want to buy young Scottish talent, and we've got what they want, we should be firing that price through the roof. It's just infuriating to see us work up for years bringing through young players only for a city club ro waltz in and cherry pick.

10 hours ago, Frankly, Mr Shankly said:

I’m fucking done man. Shite recruitment cost us big time.

This is why I didn’t want us to go full time. We seem to attract the worst calibre players. Injury prone fodder, now we have our own injury problems. Even more galling is Hibs will offer a paltry sum for Tait and offer us their kids on loan until December. Sorry guys, in Panic mode. 

2 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

This is why I didn’t want us to go full time. We seem to attract the worst calibre players. Injury prone fodder, now we have our own injury problems. Even more galling is Hibs will offer a paltry sum for Tait and offer us their kids on loan until December. Sorry guys, in Panic mode. 

How would being part time solve any of this?

I'd he goes serious questions have to be asked of the board and owner. Yes we are a selling club,  but 100k for a 19 year old with a 3 yr contract seems very low. I wouldn't mind if we got market value but we won't. Sell on clauses can mean virtually nothing as well. We should have been signing a player last night after Lewis Vaughans latest injury not selling our most promising youngster.

12 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Going to guess based off recent events it'll be two or three days until we hear from anyone at the club. Again, it's a shame as some great work has been done over the last few years improving comms.

The legend that is Alan Temple is off on holiday at the moment so we'd probably have had a full article from him by now had he been working.

I really don't feel like it's been handled in a suitable manner. Perhaps the larger club pulled the strings in the local media to put some pressure on but with Tait under contract until 2024 then there's zero reason to go about this quickly. It's exactly the ale if Tait himself says he wants to go.

Hibs have been happy to hoover up younger talent or form players in Scotland over the last few years: McGinn,Nisbet. Even if they're not all successful you could well be looking a then getting in a player for a 6 figure fee only to sell them for a 7 figure fee. Obviously there's sell on clauses but the last few years have shown you can go direct to clubs in England and get better deals.

If Hibs want to buy young Scottish talent, and we've got what they want, we should be firing that price through the roof. It's just infuriating to see us work up for years bringing through young players only for a city club ro waltz in and cherry pick.

There’s always going to be a financial reality with bigger clubs offering better wages, but it’s the rhetoric Sim had been using this last year about building for the Premiership and Europe that gets me the most. You can’t just say these things for them to happen. You have to back it up with your actions. 

If we’re selling one of our main assets so cheaply then we’re building nothing and just all about surviving financially. Ultimately I’ve no problem with survival being our goal as it means we have a club, but don’t treat the support as idiots with this mirage of ambition 

Edited by roverthemoon

I don't understand the benefit to the club in selling now but getting the loan back until January or the end of the season. Why not reject the bid, publicise it, and then put a succession plan in place for January when you can sell him on your own terms to Hibs or to whoever else? 

January is four months away. Is his value going to plummet in that time? Only, you'd assume, if he picks up a serious injury, but that's a risk you run at all times, as we know better than anyone. You might just be able to bring in other interested parties, though, and spark something of a bidding war. If Hibs are keen, I'm sure other clubs will be too. 

He's got three years left to run on his deal. I'm absolutely sure he's keen to go, but this is what happens when you sign a longer term deal. Sometimes you have to be patient. 

It's not about standing in a player's way. It's about maximising the value of an asset, and any future assets. 

Look at St Johnstone letting McCann go for £1m yesterday. They've absolutely had their tummy tickled. Next time they've got a player who's ready for a big move, are clubs going to come in with serious money, or will it be tummy tickling time again? 

9 hours ago, renton said:

There is two ways out of this division. One way is much harder than the other. Without a persistent, coherent vision and some assets: either in terms of existing players or hard cash you aren't getting out the hard way.

We all know how this is going to end, eventually, with buckets and spades and looking at the completion date of the Levenmouth rail link.

At least we know what to expect. 

It would be great to get back to the days when we were a Premier/First Division yo-yo team (albeit a broken yo-yo that only worked once). Can’t see it happening unless we get lucky. It certainly won’t be a plan that comes to fruition.

13 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

There’s always going to be a financial reality with bigger clubs offering better wages, but it’s the rhetoric Sim had been using this last year about building for the Premiership and Europe that gets me the most. You can’t just say these things for them to happen. You have to back it up with your actions. 

If we’re selling one of our main assets so cheaply then we’re building nothing and just all about surviving financially. Ultimately I’ve no problem with survival being our goal as it means we have a club, but don’t treat the support as idiots with this mirage of ambition 

If (and at this stage it is indeed 'if') we are fed some story about the club's finances then that poses more questions. We had an unexpected pandemic over the last 18 months that had caused a number of issues, but from the club's perspective:

£500k Scottish Government grant 

Third place finish bringing in higher than budgeted for prize money (about £150k more) 

Sold Kieron Bowie to Fulham for £150k

Fans raised more than £100k for the club in the early days of the virus. 

And we've just drawn Celtic away in the cup. 

At least on the face of it, where is the desperate need to sell? 

Edited by Michael W

I don't understand the benefit to the club in selling now but getting the loan back until January or the end of the season. Why not reject the bid, publicise it, and then put a succession plan in place for January when you can sell him on your own terms to Hibs or to whoever else? 
January is four months away. Is his value going to plummet in that time? Only, you'd assume, if he picks up a serious injury, but that's a risk you run at all times, as we know better than anyone. You might just be able to bring in other interested parties, though, and spark something of a bidding war. If Hibs are keen, I'm sure other clubs will be too. 
He's got three years left to run on his deal. I'm absolutely sure he's keen to go, but this is what happens when you sign a longer term deal. Sometimes you have to be patient. 
It's not about standing in a player's way. It's about maximising the value of an asset, and any future assets. 
Look at St Johnstone letting McCann go for £1m yesterday. They've absolutely had their tummy tickled. Next time they've got a player who's ready for a big move, are clubs going to come in with serious money, or will it be tummy tickling time again? 

That's exactly it. What benefit is there to agree this deal right now. Makes absolutely no sense.