Jump to content

The New Raith Rovers Thread


Recommended Posts

The ref has clearly seen Varian's effort last week when through on goal and realised he would've just fallen on his backside again anyway. 

I assume messing up a one on one every week is his party piece. The quicker he's sent back to Stoke, the better. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don’t understand all the doom and gloom. A 1-0 loss is exactly what we got up there the last time. The fixture list handed us a difficult first three fixtures. Home to newly relegated Hamilton, away in Inverness (where we never do anything) and a Fife derby. If we can beat the Pars and come away with 4 points then it’s a fairly reasonable start I’d argue. Think the rather freakish Hamilton collapse is making some lose the head a bit. . 

Edited by roverthemoon
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, TxRover said:

Riley-Snow doesn’t seem the answer, let’s see Arnott. Zanatta and Connolly with Poplatnik and Vaughan delivered nicely, I disagree.

I don’t think he is either but I can’t believe we couldn’t have found another centre mid from somewhere 🤷🏻‍♂️ Arnott/Connolly and zanatta is the stuff of my nightmares 😂😂 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, roverthemoon said:

Don’t understand all the doom and gloom. A 1-0 loss is exactly what we got up there the last time. The fixture list handed us a difficult first three fixtures. Home to newly relegated Hamilton, away in Inverness (where we never do anything) and a Fife derby. If we can beat the Pars and come away with 4 points then it’s a fairly reasonable start I’d argue. Think the rather freakish Hamilton collapse is making some lose the head a bit. . 

Your probably right that if we win like we should have last week, we would all be quite content. We haven’t had an easy run of fixtures but there isn’t any in the league . I think it’s just a few things making folk feel like this, Hendry away, zanatta coming back( been decent  in the league games tbf) and poor loan signings ( my opinion only) and the absolute cluster f**k of the ending to the accies game. Hopefully we can get a result against the townies and kick on .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

I don’t think he is either but I can’t believe we couldn’t have found another centre mid from somewhere 🤷🏻‍♂️ Arnott/Connolly and zanatta is the stuff of my nightmares 😂😂 

Agreed we get told by McGlynn that he's offered hundreds of players every week and we end up with a player that played at the 7th tier of Spanish football playing in sports arena's rather than football grounds.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Surprised to see people still slating Connolly and Zanatta, it’s like people have made their mind up on them before a ball was kicked. Yes, we are right to have concerns based on the last few years of their careers, I thought they were both poor signings.

However, they should be judged on what they do for us and so far their performances have been pretty good. If they were two unknowns from down south, I think people would be saying we had made two good signings based on what we have seen so far.

Understandable to still have reservations given their recent history, they could still turn out poor but to write them off as duds is just completely ignoring how they have played so far in my opinion. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

We'll come back to this in May. I've seen us relegated often enough to know the signs and I see them clearly this season. 

I could certainly see us slotting into 6th - 8th tbh. I don't think we'll be bothering the promotion play offs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m certainly nowhere near the panic stage, and in fairness, considering the starting eleven we put out yesterday, we arguably fared a little better than I thought we would. 

Obviously we knew beforehand we’d be without Musonda and Spencer, but no Vaughan was a bit of a hammer blow. 

However, I thought we defended reasonably well for the bulk of the game and caused them some problems, but we were definitely second best and Inverness deserved the three points. 

I am a little disappointed and concerned though.

I really hoped we’d build on last season’s success, and it doesn’t feel like we have. 

Defensively we’re about as good as last term, the loss of Hendry was never going to be balanced out in the middle of the park, so if there was one area we could definitely upgrade to keep us challenging at the right end it was up front, and so far, as limited as Ugwu and Duku were for us at times, it doesn’t feel like we have. 

In terms of concern, I was hoping we’d be better than Morton, QOS, Ayr and Arbroath, which would at least see us comfortably in mid table at worst, but Morton have started well and Queens have been a little unfortunate so far, so the league may be even tighter than I thought it would be. 

If Vaughan is okay then we’ll be fine I think, bearing in mind we were exceptional for well over an hour last week, but he’s absolutely key for us. If he’s out for any length of time then it’ll be a struggle. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

I’m certainly nowhere near the panic stage, and in fairness, considering the starting eleven we put out yesterday, we arguably fared a little better than I thought we would. 

Obviously we knew beforehand we’d be without Musonda and Spencer, but no Vaughan was a bit of a hammer blow. 

However, I thought we defended reasonably well for the bulk of the game and caused them some problems, but we were definitely second best and Inverness deserved the three points. 

I am a little disappointed and concerned though.

I really hoped we’d build on last season’s success, and it doesn’t feel like we have. 

Defensively we’re about as good as last term, the loss of Hendry was never going to be balanced out in the middle of the park, so if there was one area we could definitely upgrade to keep us challenging at the right end it was up front, and so far, as limited as Ugwu and Duku were for us at times, it doesn’t feel like we have. 

In terms of concern, I was hoping we’d be better than Morton, QOS, Ayr and Arbroath, which would at least see us comfortably in mid table at worst, but Morton have started well and Queens have been a little unfortunate so far, so the league may be even tighter than I thought it would be. 

If Vaughan is okay then we’ll be fine I think, bearing in mind we were exceptional for well over an hour last week, but he’s absolutely key for us. If he’s out for any length of time then it’ll be a struggle. 

If Vaughans out for any length of time and I don't mean a couple of weeks then we need to bring someone in as his workrate, creativity and goals will be sorely missed.

Getting back to signings I've no idea why we didn't go back down south. We uncovered a gem in Musonda, Duku scored goals albeit his head dropped or attitude changed when McGlynn appeared to return to first team action, that's not a dig at McGlynn and Gozie was a decent target up front. Instead we sign two 18 year olds one of which was too lightweight for 1st division football, two wingers that appeared to have very poor seasons last season and an over the hill centre half. 

In terms of Zanatta his biggest problem is not his ability but his desire, in short he pulls out of challenges in the air and on the ground. He needs a bit of dig about his game.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

Surprised to see people still slating Connolly and Zanatta, it’s like people have made their mind up on them before a ball was kicked. Yes, we are right to have concerns based on the last few years of their careers, I thought they were both poor signings.

However, they should be judged on what they do for us and so far their performances have been pretty good. If they were two unknowns from down south, I think people would be saying we had made two good signings based on what we have seen so far.

Understandable to still have reservations given their recent history, they could still turn out poor but to write them off as duds is just completely ignoring how they have played so far in my opinion. 

 

Some people are absolutely desperate for Zanatta, Connolly and Berra to fail.  It's been really clear at the games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, CALDERON said:

Some people are absolutely desperate for Zanatta, Connolly and Berra to fail.  It's been really clear at the games.

It's utterly bemusing. I've made my fair share of cuntish comments about players in the past but I don't think I've ever actively gone out against a player who has re-signed for us for a second spell. There's so much reactionary nonsense on social media and online. I'm in a few groups on stuff like facebook and there's folk suggesting we should promote Paul Smith as manager and get rid of McGlynn - our most successful season since the turn of the millenium has recently finished and two games into the new league campaign and you've folk wanting the manager gone. 

I really hope it doesn't have an impact on the players. All you can really do is to try to get behind them at the games and, you know, support them.

Edited by Broken Algorithms
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Based on the limited evidence so far, I don't think Zanatta or Connolly will contribute significantly less than Armstrong or Kennedy did.  I would have kept Arrmstrong, but he isn't irreplaceable.  And whilst Kennedy is obviously a very talented player, after an electric start, his contribution was actually a bit limited.  

Berra and Lang will give us more than Davidson, so the defence is improved. Still need to see more of Liam Dick, but he's been fine so far.  

The main question marks I have re recruitment only really lie with Riley-Snow, Varian and perhaps Fotherhingham.  The former two have looked poor when they came on the past few weeks.

Poplatnik has been fine.  He's been replaced in each of our last 3 games, and I think we've seen a huge impact each time.  He isn't particularly spectacular and wont get us much goals, but is one of our few genuine out balls and decent in the air actually.

We aren't far away,  at all.  Obviously we need Vaughan and Spencer back, but it's important to remember that for 68 minutes against Hamilton we played as well as we have for years. That type of play is still there to be had.

The worry comes from being 5 points off the pace already, however.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I thought lang played well yesterday, seemed quite calm and composed. Zannatas trouble seems to be his decision making. A few times he got right along the byline and had already decided he was going to put it across the 6 yard box, whereas had he looked up, he had players in better positions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Based on the limited evidence so far, I don't think Zanatta or Connolly will contribute significantly less than Armstrong or Kennedy did.  I would have kept Arrmstrong, but he isn't irreplaceable.  And whilst Kennedy is obviously a very talented player, after an electric start, his contribution was actually a bit limited.  

It wouldn't surprise me if we get a case of deja vu re Armstrong where he moves to another club and then doesn't get the same level of game time as he did with ourselves. Either way, I'm not too upset he's away as I think Zanatta and Connolly have the ability to step up. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I love Vaughan as much as the next Rovers fan but it could be extremely worrying if we are over reliant on him this season given his recent injuries. We could still do with another central midfielder and attacker in my opinion and I will be much happier with the squad.

I was probably one of those who overreacted to the re-signing of Zanatta although rated Connolly in his first spell. As has been said, both have been absolutely fine so far and most criticism seems to come from people who made up their minds before a ball was kicked.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, raith1974 said:

If Vaughans out for any length of time and I don't mean a couple of weeks then we need to bring someone in as his workrate, creativity and goals will be sorely missed.

Cue me saying “Mitchell”…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...