The New Raith Rovers Thread

Considered the postings and suggestions on “Target Men”, but I’m not really sure either Duku (especially) or Ugwu really fall into that class. Duku’s first touch was often woefully lacking, and Ugwu looked more poacher than strong, tall attacker that dominates.

The simple fact is that Target Men, per se, don’t really exist at this level for any real amount of time before being snapped up by a higher level team. It is a pretty elite skill, and one highly prized. The best we can hope for is a big lad who is developing, an inconsistent journeyman or a near retirement husk of his former glory. I think JMcG thinks Mitchell has potential, that Poplatnik might deliver some goals if he gets a bit more greedy, and Keating and Vaughan will deliver a fair haul apiece. If Connolly and Zanatta can chip in a few in addition, we’ll do fine.

Yes and no. You use the same pickup line 27 times and get turned down, you change lines and try a different approach. That could be a big, target man or a different approach than shelling crosses into the mixer.
We need a player as an out ball who has height. Against Livi in the second half the forwards were pushing up on our defence and our keeper could only play hoof ball. Enevitably we lost it and put ourselves under more pressure. Its great we have an experienced defence but if we can't get the ball to stick at the other end it's and endless wave of defending.

We don't really need a "target man" if the crosses in have a little bit more direction on them, then they can find anyone in the right position. Long balls don't need to find someone's head either, they can be into the channels for players to chase down or harrass the defender who gets to it first. The channel ball is pretty much how we played under mcglynn with tade and baird up top. They would work their arses off chasing down those "lost causes" and turn it into something. I would like a target man, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen and so as long as we adapt our play to suit that, then it's fine.

4 minutes ago, HoustonRover said:

@TXRover - have you seen anything about RaithTV season renewal?

I know mention of a revamp but with the first game being this Saturday I thought they’d have info (unless I’ve missed it)

RaithTV | Official Matchday Streaming Service from Raith Rovers FC

14 hours ago, embow said:

Nailed that on the heid!

Any further information on his ability, skill, or other football attributes?

He spent the last 6 months of the season with us last season and although it could very well be down to the fact we were absolutely fucking horrendous he didn’t really stand out and just looked like a lost wee boy most of the time. He’s all right foot, quite nimble and decent enough close control with the ball but due to his size has no strength on it at all. E

Positionally I think he’s more of a number 10. That’s where Gary Holt played him the most when he took over but by that point we were an absolute joke outfit. He also played for us left in a 4 man midfield and inexplicably 1 game at left wing back where unsurprisingly he looked clueless. He did score a good goal away at Arbroath to put them out the Scottish Cup. Not really many positives but like I said from how we were last season and also you guys will know it’s harder to judge from watching a stream all season to being there live.

Whilst it wouldn’t be the strangest thing in the world for the move to work out I just don’t think he’s ready for a season at Championship level yet and tbh wasn’t someone I’d have been looking for us to bring back in League 1.

1 hour ago, Russ said:

He spent the last 6 months of the season with us last season and although it could very well be down to the fact we were absolutely fucking horrendous he didn’t really stand out and just looked like a lost wee boy most of the time. He’s all right foot, quite nimble and decent enough close control with the ball but due to his size has no strength on it at all. E

Positionally I think he’s more of a number 10. That’s where Gary Holt played him the most when he took over but by that point we were an absolute joke outfit. He also played for us left in a 4 man midfield and inexplicably 1 game at left wing back where unsurprisingly he looked clueless. He did score a good goal away at Arbroath to put them out the Scottish Cup. Not really many positives but like I said from how we were last season and also you guys will know it’s harder to judge from watching a stream all season to being there live.

Whilst it wouldn’t be the strangest thing in the world for the move to work out I just don’t think he’s ready for a season at Championship level yet and tbh wasn’t someone I’d have been looking for us to bring back in League 1.

So in essence, he’s lightweight, pushed off the ball easy and lost. What could possibly go wrong. 
what is it about Dundee clubs with their over estimation of their youth players. Dundee said the exact same with Wighton. 

1 hour ago, baillieinleeds said:

So in essence, he’s lightweight, pushed off the ball easy and lost. What could possibly go wrong. 
what is it about Dundee clubs with their over estimation of their youth players. Dundee said the exact same with Wighton. 

Give the boy a chance ffs

After a slow start it's good to see the Pars endearing modesty return to their thread and the league prediction thread with photos of "HMS Piss the League", announcements that they are "scudding this league" and requests that they be given the title already.

10 hours ago, HoustonRover said:

@TXRover - have you seen anything about RaithTV season renewal?

I know mention of a revamp but with the first game being this Saturday I thought they’d have info (unless I’ve missed it)

As noted by others above, nope…looks like last minute again. It’s a bit disappointing we can’t have prices out a few weeks before, but that’s life.

44 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:

After a slow start it's good to see the Pars endearing modesty return to their thread and the league prediction thread with photos of "HMS Piss the League", announcements that they are "scudding this league" and requests that they be given the title already.

You do realise they aren’t serious right? Christ…

2 hours ago, baillieinleeds said:

Some Dundee fans might revisit their opinion on Craig Wighton, but at the time, when we loaned him, they thought he was exceptional. 

5 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

Some Dundee fans might revisit their opinion on Craig Wighton, but at the time, when we loaned him, they thought he was exceptional. 

Bizarrely I’d absolutely take him now in this Rovers side. He was terrible for us but I’m sure the lad wasn’t even 18 when he joined us.