The New Raith Rovers Thread

16 hours ago, baillieinleeds said:

Or into the sea

The boy either has one of the best agents in Scottish football or kompromat on everyone. Genuinely astonished when I heard you had given him a PCA and not surprised people on here already seem to be losing patience. 

1 hour ago, Been going too long said:

Hi Tx 

agree with a few things you said but don’t think tait is anywhere near good enough to replace Hendry and the lad mahady doesn’t look ready for first team football at championship level, would be better out on loan playing games . I really hope 3 additions come in as we need them with our injury record . Irish lad looked ok be interesting to watch him Saturday in the flesh.

Certainly think Mahady on loan in League One or Two would be good, perhaps after we secure a loan or sign a big forward. Mitchell might be able to play here sooner, but time with the team will help regardless.

Tait isn’t Hendry, he’s a more attacking minded mid and a (as expected for his age) little less controlled. However, he has the vision and movement to fill some of Hendry’s role, the question become who picks up the defensive aspects? Will it be a single signing, will someone like Spencer or Matthews step up, will Musonda appear as a sweeper, or will there be another surprise?

I’d like to see Leo signed to fulfill a squad role while we try to develop him. He’s competent and holds/passes the ball effectively, if not inspiringly. I wouldn’t mind the young LB, Greg Young, signed as a MA (or some other Fife Elite defender signed as a MA, for that matter).  I just think the extra experience of practice with the team for a year or two increases our chances of finding a gem, a la Bowie and Tait. Developing our own players is important now to move forward in the future, and we have no young defensemen (couldn’t resist) to develop right now, unlike other positions.

7 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Certainly think Mahady on loan in League One or Two would be good, perhaps after we secure a loan or sign a big forward. Mitchell might be able to play here sooner, but time with the team will help regardless.

Tait isn’t Hendry, he’s a more attacking minded mid and a (as expected for his age) little less controlled. However, he has the vision and movement to fill some of Hendry’s role, the question become who picks up the defensive aspects? Will it be a single signing, will someone like Spencer or Matthews step up, will Musonda appear as a sweeper, or will there be another surprise?

I’d like to see Leo signed to fulfill a squad role while we try to develop him. He’s competent and holds/passes the ball effectively, if not inspiringly. I wouldn’t mind the young LB, Greg Young, signed as a MA (or some other Fife Elite defender signed as a MA, for that matter).  I just think the extra experience of practice with the team for a year or two increases our chances of finding a gem, a la Bowie and Tait. Developing our own players is important now to move forward in the future, and we have no young defensemen (couldn’t resist) to develop right now, unlike other positions.

Leo could  certainly be that anchor in midfield which allows the other players to get forward as you say tait is definitely better in the final 3rd, Hendry was a one off no point is trying to replace him like for like. We need a big forward to allow Vaughan and keatings more room to be creative. I’m sure Mcglynn will have guys in mind, Liam Dick was ok last night but zanatta I wouldn’t have signed but I suppose if anyone can bring him on it’s the bald messiah 

20 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Modern apprentices aren't what we need at the moment Tx. We're needing 1st team players who are ready to go and preferably not squad fillers....and ideally ones that aren't injured. In saying that McGlynn's already got a task on his hand to develop some of the 1st team players.

15 minutes ago, Raithie said:

Modern apprentices aren't what we need at the moment Tx. We're needing 1st team players who are ready to go and preferably not squad fillers....and ideally ones that aren't injured. In saying that McGlynn's already got a task on his hand to develop some of the 1st team players.

Yup, see if your looking at someone and thinking, yeah I guess they might do a job for a wee bit then there is no point signing them.

20 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

Leo could  certainly be that anchor in midfield which allows the other players to get forward…

Steady on, he’s no Adam King…

8 minutes ago, Raithie said:

But that’s where you’re wrong. The team needs some players now, but we also need those MA’s for the future. To be absolutely honest, we can expect perhaps one of three or four MA’s to offer any real hope of being a future starter, and maybe half may become a squad player at some point. But, they are also where we can find the future…and they provide valuable assistance in practice.

I agree we need a mid, not convinced we HAVE to get a forward in now, but wouldn’t mind one. JMcG called Keatings the best finisher he’s ever seen, and he and Vaughan can be healthy…we can’t panic simply because we’re afraid the Rovers curse will occur. Would you rather a quick striker signing that might help, or trust that JMcG has a plan and is perhaps saving the dosh for a nice, but expensive, loanee striker?

25 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Steady on, he’s no Adam King…

But that’s where you’re wrong. The team needs some players now, but we also need those MA’s for the future. To be absolutely honest, we can expect perhaps one of three or four MA’s to offer any real hope of being a future starter, and maybe half may become a squad player at some point. But, they are also where we can find the future…and they provide valuable assistance in practice.

I agree we need a mid, not convinced we HAVE to get a forward in now, but wouldn’t mind one. JMcG called Keatings the best finisher he’s ever seen, and he and Vaughan can be healthy…we can’t panic simply because we’re afraid the Rovers curse will occur. Would you rather a quick striker signing that might help, or trust that JMcG has a plan and is perhaps saving the dosh for a nice, but expensive, loanee striker?

My issue isn't that we're not signing anyone imminently my issue is that you think a simple squad filler or modern apprentice might be the answer to our overall squad situation and that this should be McGlynn's main squad goal at the moment. If we go into the season with Keatings and Vaughan as our main strike force then relying on Mahady or Mitchell to prop up that position is just suicide for this level. We're needing some big lump up top that can hold the ball up when we invariably resort to long balls (which will happen) and ideally someone that's a danger in the box at set plays - I fear Berra will need a taxi back up the pitch as the season goes on. 

One thing to consider about last night, is that it was a closed door game.  They happen all the time tbh.  You often see a footnote in the press saying "Raith beat Premiership team X in a closed door game" or "Raith were beaten by League 1 team Y".

Just so happens we were able to see it, but in previous seasons this game would have been played, not been on YouTube, and we would all have been none the wiser. 

6 minutes ago, Raithie said:

My issue isn't that we're not signing anyone imminently my issue is that you think a simple squad filler or modern apprentice might be the answer to our overall squad situation and that this should be McGlynn's main squad goal at the moment. If we go into the season with Keatings and Vaughan as our main strike force then relying on Mahady or Mitchell to prop up that position is just suicide for this level. We're needing some big lump up top that can hold the ball up when we invariably resort to long balls (which will happen) and ideally someone that's a danger in the box at set plays - I fear Berra will need a taxi back up the pitch as the season goes on. 

Loans seldom arrive before the season starts.

2 minutes ago, RRFC1989 said:

Very disappointing decision. Lietch suggested football matches could be allowed full capacity from the 21st August. Imagine a full starks park, instead limited capacity as its a day before just to please the BBC.

10th August is the proposed date where the restrictions would end.

2 hours ago, TxRover said:

Loans seldom arrive before the season starts.

Loanees aren't the answer though, really. 

In a normal distribution of loanees, at one end of the spectrum you have the odd diamond like Hendry who is the real deal, and absolute shitehawks like Barjonas and Roberts at the other but the majority are kids with potential.

What I'm trying to say is that most of them end up being like temporary power ups in games. You get maybe 5 good games and a couple of important sub appearances out of them out of 18 before they go back and we get the next batch in and that's if your lucky.

Any better than that and they are likely on line for first team football in the tier above, any less and you are back in shitehawk territory.

I honestly think we are short of consistent starters and while I appreciate there is an oddly depressed market this summer and most clubs are signing guys with iffy to shite records it still leaves me uneasy.

5 minutes ago, renton said:

Loanees aren't the answer though, really. 

In a normal distribution of loanees, at one end of the spectrum you have the odd diamond like Hendry who is the real deal, and absolute shitehawks like Barjonas and Roberts at the other but the majority are kids with potential.

What I'm trying to say is that most of them end up being like temporary power ups in games. You get maybe 5 good games and a couple of important sub appearances out of them out of 18 before they go back and we get the next batch in and that's if your lucky.

Any better than that and they are likely on line for first team football in the tier above, any less and you are back in shitehawk territory.

I honestly think we are short of consistent starters and while I appreciate there is an oddly depressed market this summer and most clubs are signing guys with iffy to shite records it still leaves me uneasy.

I would feel a lot better if we could work out a deal with hibs for Jamie Gullan signing permanently.

3 minutes ago, renton said:

Loanees aren't the answer though, really…I honestly think we are short of consistent starters and while I appreciate there is an oddly depressed market this summer and most clubs are signing guys with iffy to shite records it still leaves me uneasy.

I don’t disagree with your thought, but…JMcG made it clear it was the trialists he was looking at, including “one from down south”. The cupboard is plenty bare for proven players to sign in the categories big forward and talented mid. We let Ugwu go…we let Duku go…JMcG has a plan, I just don’t see how it includes a forward signing at this time. Who is the mid that we can sign?

The problem I see is that we should be pushing on this season instead we appear to have weakened the side albeit there is plenty time to bring in 3 or 4 players and a couple of loans.

I did not have much time for Davo however  Berra just looks slow. Dick looks like a similar quality as McDonald. Our midfield is weaker without Hendry and forward wise we are 2 short. Keatings looks a tidy player but just doesn't look like a goalscorer. Connelly and Zanatta are not as good as Ethan Ross/Kai Kennedy and Danny Armstrong.

We cannot rely on Mahady IMO he would be better out on loan, Mitchell looks like a player but very young.

We still need 2 strikers, a 3rd winger and a centre midfielder. 

5 hours ago, mealsonwheels said:

Christ we do this every pre season!! 

Raith have the most negative fan base!!

Yep. 

We should at least wait until we’ve played a few league games. Having a go after two early friendlies, one of which we won 4-1, is a bit much.  I didn’t watch the Clyde game but we did okay against Stranraer and they are just games to get the match fitness up. The League Cup games are the real friendlies these days with those shitty group stages.