The New Raith Rovers Thread

6 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Injured most of the time and when he did play, you barely noticed him.

When was he injured out of curiosity as he done an article in the Courier advising he wasn't injured and club just chose not to play him? However I'd agree with your latter part - he's looked anonymous thus far.

Edit: Actually having re-read the article I think he meant he wasn't injured when he signed a pre-contract with us and ICT chose not to play him from there on in.  (https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/scottish-championship/2338456/exclusive-james-keatings-inverness-backlash-raith-rovers-transfer-championship-title/)

Edited by Raithie

12 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

What happened with the Ethan Ross rumours? A player we should really have went above and beyond to sign. 

He was linked with a few clubs done south. Sunderland was one. I doubt that with interest from clubs like that there’s much we could do to persuade him to make a return.

4 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Let me put it this way, I don't think a single The Caley fan was bothered when Keatings left.  Injured most of the time and when he did play, you barely noticed him.

Precisely, this is my worry. Hopefully joining a new club might make a difference. But in reality I’m not holding my breath. We’ll be lucky to get 5-6 games out of him, which is a shame. Vaughan is the priority for us. 

Just now, Enigma said:

He was linked with a few clubs done south. Sunderland was one. I doubt that with interest from clubs like that there’s much we could do to persuade him to make a return.

Yea that’s true, thanks for the clarification 

Just now, Raithie said:

When was he injured out of curiosity as he done an article in the Courier advising he wasn't injured and club just chose not to play him? However I'd agree with your latter part - he's looked anonymous thus far.

He definitely was injured for a time last season, I also know he and the club did fall out near the end, probably the reason he barely played after Christmas.  Aye, depends where he plays, he was never our main striker so maybe that's why you barely noticed him.

1 minute ago, TheScarf said:

He definitely was injured for a time last season, I also know he and the club did fall out near the end, probably the reason he barely played after Christmas.  Aye, depends where he plays, he was never our main striker so maybe that's why you barely noticed him.

Aye, edited my post with article in question. Reads that he wasn't injured once he had signed for us but understandably ICT chose not to play him. 

Surely Berra and Benedictus aren't going to be Mcglynn's preferred pairing? I watched a bit of the Stanraer game the other night and anything over the top will kill them two together. 
Fans on our thread were asking for Berra to be signed last summer and he looked past it then. Never mind a year on. Obviously completely different ball game if he's got someone with pace in beside him and he doesn't have to worry about the ball over the top.

They are currently the only two fit centre halves we have, with Musonda, Lang and Dave McKay all still injured.

40 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

What happened with the Ethan Ross rumours? A player we should really have went above and beyond to sign. Kennedy will most likely sign for Partick as it’s really close to where he lives. McCall moaning about not being able to match Raith Rovers for signings is insane. They’ve done really well recently. We’ve signed injury prone players. So we’ll struggle big time. The list of players from someone up above that haven’t featured much really worries me. Either injured or haven’t shown enough desire. Zanatta is a prime example of a bad signing. We have an athletic team that like to pass the ball, Dario Zanatta won’t or can’t do that. Really hope McGlynn has an Ace up his sleeve, as this has the potential of a really hard slog. 

We'll be holding out for our development fee.

48 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

He came on as a 77 minute substitute in the March game and went off injured 12 minutes later.

It was at this point you just knew he'd fit in fine here. 

Edited by Michael W

FFS, 2 friendly games in with half a new team, major players unavailable and a month until the league starts and there's talk of relegation, bad signings and hard slogs.

Algorithms has already reminded you of the thumping Falkirk gave us last preseason, showing that these games cannot be used to judge performance.

Can we all just chill oot a bit? We all know we're short of players. I'm sure JMcG knows it too - it's his job.

Fools and children should never see half done work.

8 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:

FFS, 2 friendly games in with half a new team, major players unavailable and a month until the league starts and there's talk of relegation, bad signings and hard slogs.

Algorithms has already reminded you of the thumping Falkirk gave us last preseason, showing that these games cannot be used to judge performance.

Can we all just chill oot a bit? We all know we're short of players. I'm sure JMcG knows it too - it's his job.

Fools and children should never see half done work.

Who said anything about relegation. It could be a hard slog if we don’t sign the right players. All I said was that the players signed are injury prone, is there a contingency plan to cover those positions. All relevant questions

James Keatings has certainly had issues with injuries over the last few seasons, like any player, but he’s still featured in 52 games for Inverness over the last two seasons, both of which were curtailed, and in the most recent one, he’s suggested he wasn’t picked as he’d signed a PCA. 

The figures don’t strike me as someone who is a massive injury concern*

*I appreciate now that he’s in Kirkcaldy he probably will be, but regardless the point stands. 

One slight worry I have is if we went into this season trying to show a bit more ambition with regards to signing players, but have ended up losing out to rivals.  I've every confidence in the manager, and using pre season games as a barometer is a danger, I just hope that there will be a few quality additions.

I was content enough with what I saw on Saturday, granted I didn't pay a huge amount attention during last nights game.  

I'm happy with the signing of Berra and I think he will bring a lot to the squad in the same way Anderson did, but paired with Benedictus isn't exactly much to get Usain Bolt worried about.  

Keatings looked to play well with Vaughan on Saturday, so I'm hoping there is something there.  I'm still inclined to prefer his signing to that of Duku, but we really need reinforcements fast in that area.  Even discounting the knee injury, Vaughan is usually good for a relatively lengthy thigh/groin injury - and Keatings doesn't sound exactly bullet proof.

It's early doors, but as things stand its a bit underwhelming given the stock of the club right now, especially the manager.  I'm not really sure where the increased budget has gone other than perhaps Berra and Keatings, but you would like to think that there is scope for some quality additions.

Can't see anything happening with the trialists.  The midfielder looked okay and kept the ball well enough, but I'm sure the development lads could come in and do that if we really needed.

Can't help but feel this squad needs a "marquee" type signing for it all to begin to make a bit more sense.

Edited by CALDERON

I’m quite surprised we haven’t signed Stefan Scougal, to be honest. I had actually heard that we had signed him right after the season finished, from a pretty reliable person, but it must’ve been shite at the time. Still think he’d be a great fit for us.

4 hours ago, renton said:

Tx will be raging.

Not as long as we sign the trialist, eh?

Well, actually, I do expect another mainstream mid signing, especially with Matthews’ toe issues. But the Gaffer seems pretty happy with Arnott’s development, so I might be mistaken.

5 hours ago, renton said:

Even with Matthews and Masonda fit (and to a lesser degree, Lang and McKay)  we'd still be 3 to 4 guys short. Guys good enough to be consistent starters, to provide competition. We have two wide players and two forwards.

That’s where we disagree. Let’s look at the team now:

Keeper - Set

Defenders - Set, with room for signing an MA (the trialist or such). We have cover at both LB and RB behind clearly effective starting players, and plenty of CB’s, any of whom would likely have started last year before Mendy and sometimes Davo.

Midfielders - Short one or two. With Matthews’ injury, we certainly could use a solid mid to fill in for him, and we don’t have a clear understanding of JMcG’s plan to replace Hendry. If we signed the trialist Leo, I’d say we still need a proven mid to come in and help out until Matthews is back, but the way JMcG discusses Arnott and Coulson, I’m not sure we’ll sign, it might be a loan plan and expect Matthews health later. I think Tait is expected to fall into a pseudo-Hendry role, but he’s simply not that defensive minded.

Wingers - I suspect we’re set except for possible loans, with Connolly, Zanatta and Coulson, plus this is a common place to put Vaughan too.

Forwards - With Mitchell in and showing a little spark, it will be interesting to see what happens. Certainly Mahady, and possibly Mitchell, can fill the larger attacker role that Keatings and Vaughan can’t, but that’s a huge ask for either a one year MA with no real starts or the freshly signed MA.  Because of that, I could see another CF or SS signed, but again I think the loan market is where the Gaffer is looking.

In summary, OK, I’ll buy 3 to 4 more players, but no more than two would be signings rather than loans.

45 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

One slight worry I have is if we went into this season trying to show a bit more ambition with regards to signing players, but have ended up losing out to rivals.  I've every confidence in the manager, and using pre season games as a barometer is a danger, I just hope that there will be a few quality additions.

I was content enough with what I saw on Saturday, granted I didn't pay a huge amount attention during last nights game.  

I'm happy with the signing of Berra and I think he will bring a lot to the squad in the same way Anderson did, but paired with Benedictus isn't exactly much to get Usain Bolt worried about.  

Keatings looked to play well with Vaughan on Saturday, so I'm hoping there is something there.  I'm still inclined to prefer his signing to that of Duku, but we really need reinforcements fast in that area.  Even discounting the knee injury, Vaughan is usually good for a relatively lengthy thigh/groin injury - and Keatings doesn't sound exactly bullet proof.

It's early doors, but as things stand its a bit underwhelming given the stock of the club right now, especially the manager.  I'm not really sure where the increased budget has gone other than perhaps Berra and Keatings, but you would like to think that there is scope for some quality additions.

Can't see anything happening with the trialists.  The midfielder looked okay and kept the ball well enough, but I'm sure the development lads could come in and do that if we really needed.

Can't help but feel this squad needs a "marquee" type signing for it all to begin to make a bit more sense.

Aye but least we won’t be playing against Usain Bolt…😂

6 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Not as long as we sign the trialist, eh?

Well, actually, I do expect another mainstream mid signing, especially with Matthews’ toe issues. But the Gaffer seems pretty happy with Arnott’s development, so I might be mistaken.

That’s where we disagree. Let’s look at the team now:

Keeper - Set

Defenders - Set, with room for signing an MA (the trialist or such). We have cover at both LB and RB behind clearly effective starting players, and plenty of CB’s, any of whom would likely have started last year before Mendy and sometimes Davo.

Midfielders - Short one or two. With Matthews’ injury, we certainly could use a solid mid to fill in for him, and we don’t have a clear understanding of JMcG’s plan to replace Hendry. If we signed the trialist Leo, I’d say we still need a proven mid to come in and help out until Matthews is back, but the way JMcG discusses Arnott and Coulson, I’m not sure we’ll sign, it might be a loan plan and expect Matthews health later. I think Tait is expected to fall into a pseudo-Hendry role, but he’s simply not that defensive minded.

Wingers - I suspect we’re set except for possible loans, with Connolly, Zanatta and Coulson, plus this is a common place to put Vaughan too.

Forwards - With Mitchell in and showing a little spark, it will be interesting to see what happens. Certainly Mahady, and possibly Mitchell, can fill the larger attacker role that Keatings and Vaughan can’t, but that’s a huge ask for either a one year MA with no real starts or the freshly signed MA.  Because of that, I could see another CF or SS signed, but again I think the loan market is where the Gaffer is looking.

In summary, OK, I’ll buy 3 to 4 more players, but no more than two would be signings rather than loans.

Hi Tx 

agree with a few things you said but don’t think tait is anywhere near good enough to replace Hendry and the lad mahady doesn’t look ready for first team football at championship level, would be better out on loan playing games . I really hope 3 additions come in as we need them with our injury record . Irish lad looked ok be interesting to watch him Saturday in the flesh.